Baby stuff that is great and baby stuff that is useless

Beginner's Forum

For lighter debates and to get to know new members.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Beginner's Forum LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 10th, 2008, 11:25 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I guess after reading this I think it really depends on the mom & the baby.

USEFUL:
Double Breastpump
Dr. Brown's Bottles (they are a HUGE hassle to clean but a LOT of help to a gassy baby)
Bouncy Seat (the ONLY thing DS liked besides being held for a LONG time was the vibrate mode on a bouncer - thank GOD or I think I would have never gotten a shower)
Exersaucer (basically filled the roll the bouncer used to when he grew out of it & he LOVED it - we had the kind he could jump in)
Changing Table (I was not going to buy one & a friend loaned us hers - thank GOODNESS)
A carrier that WORKS for you & baby - I tried a few & then found the Ergo carrier - which we are totally sold on & it NEVER hurts my back
Boppy Pillow
Bumbo seat worked as basically a feeding seat for us for along time & he really enjoyed it
Rings & Links..our boppy had an attachment for an arch that you could hook them to & dangle toys - he really enjoyed that
Swaddling blankets - I liked them so well I made larger ones when he outgrew them. Without swaddling he'd sleep maybe 20 mins - add swaddling & he was a whole new baby!
Sleep gowns that snap all the way down the front - I had a few poppy accidents in the "pull over" type & threw them ALL out. Once is more than enough of that!
Outfits that have the fold-over ends to the sleeves to protect them from scratching themselves - the mitts always fall off it seems - though I did have 1 pr that had rattles in them that stayed on & those were great.
Those little mesh things that look like a pacifier but you can put mushy foods or ice for teething, etc.
We co-sleep so I loved the oversized bed rail just to sleep better. Before that I could only half sleep - we should have bought it sooner - even though we never had any close-calls - I was just nervous. We also eventually hooked up a crib as a co=sleeper after he was a year old. In hindsight I would have done that sooner - it is sooo nice to have some room to spread out now.

USELESS:
Everything else...LOL (almost everything else basically)
My DS HATED the swing - thank goodness i borrowed one. We tried forward, side to side, different speeds - all he did was act terrified & scream & I continued to try it every few weeks or so for months before just packing it up. Next time if I saw a kid hate it like that I would try it maybe 3 times & then give it up.
Diaper Genie
A huge diaper bag - you really don't need top lug all of babies belongings everywhere you go. For overnight or longer trips just grab a gym bag for overflow stuff
Travel bottle warmers - they take way too long & since I BF - they were totally unnecessary (gift)

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

August 11th, 2008, 08:21 AM
~Sandy~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Usefull:
- The swing. Mya loves it.
- Arms Reach Co-Sleeper.... I don't have to get out of bed to get her. (To the OP, you can buy extenders for the legs to make the co sleeper taller, you can also , take out parts of the legs to make them shorter. We had to use the extenders)
- Bathtub Seat... I looove it
- blankets
- breast pump (Lansinoh) .. I pump so that DH can give a bottle at night
- video monitor... I often put her down for naps in her crib with the door shut because I have a loud puppy and dog, it makes me feel so much better to be able to see her on the monitor in the living room
- car mirror (to see her in the rear seat) I just love it lol
- Wendy Belissimo sling .... It is comfy for me and I like that it has a waist harness so she stays where I put her in it

Useless-
- Boppy... I thought I needed it for breastfeeding, but it made her sit too far up my chest
- bouncer chair ... She hates it
- mobile for crib... it is cute, but she doesn't look at it
- sleep sacks.... blankets were enough, and she lives in onesies
- swaddle blankets... I bought 3 or 4 of them, and she hates being swaddled
- Ring Sling ... Too hard to set up, and she hated being so bunched up, also when I leaned over she would move and slide all over in there
August 12th, 2008, 10:01 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
- Boppy... I thought I needed it for breastfeeding, but it made her sit too far up my chest[/b]
I just wanted to say your little one is at a GREAT age to use that boppy for her - either to lean back on while playing with you (gives her a new angle & you don't have to "hang" over her to look eye to eye)...to lay on top of for tummy time or to assist when she is ready to try setting up as a bumper to keep from tipping over entirely. It may not have been great for you with BF (I assume you must be much chestier than me...lol) - but you can still have some great uses out of it yet if you want to try it!

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

August 12th, 2008, 11:02 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
I think I used the Boppy must when DS was first learning how to sit up. I'd put around him to help keep him up and it was there to cushion him if he toppled over.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search