Baby stuff that is great and baby stuff that is useless

Beginner's Forum

For lighter debates and to get to know new members.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Beginner's Forum LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 26th, 2007, 05:40 PM
Mega Super Mommy
What is some baby stuff that you think was very useful:
For me, I think the Boppy pillow was a great item. Helped with nursing, then helped baby learn to sit.
Robeez baby shoes are excellent- they don't come off.
My comfy nursing chair which saved my back.
The diaper genie was great when I was using disposable diapers.
A sleep positioner was good to keep baby on his back.

What is some baby stuff that you thought was good for nothing?
I would say, baby socks. Most of these fell right off.
The manual breast pump I bought and bottle set which I spent over $100 on and used, like less than ten times.
Ring slings- these are worthless. Baby was squished and cramped and didn't like these
Baby hats- waste of time. My baby pulls these right off.
The arms reach cosleeper- was not the same height as my bed. Any crib that sat next to the bed would have done the exact same thing, some for less money.

July 26th, 2007, 06:38 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
Useful: good cloth diapers, a sling, and any carseat that is relatively new

Not so useful: almost everything else

I'm a minimalist when it comes to baby gear.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

July 26th, 2007, 06:50 PM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
dont have em yet but i agree totally with jennifer

July 26th, 2007, 08:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I think a Boppy is necessary if you are nursing for sure! I love that thing! I can't really think of anything that is "necessary" other than a car seat.

I do love my DD's Jumperoo, she is constantly wanting to jump and I put her in that thing and she loves it! I can't really offer that kind of activity right now on my own, jumping on my lap with my hands under her armpits just doesn't cut it for her. I used my carrier a ton when she was tinier so she could be easily carried while I did chores and shopped. But, now I don't use it as much because it's so freaking hot here. She also LOOOVES her links!

I don't use a Diaper Genie. We bought a trash can you can open and close with your foot (not a plastic one, almost like a stainless steel one) and it keeps odors out of the air just fine.
July 26th, 2007, 08:48 PM
Laney21's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It's late so I'm not putting much thought into this right now but I'll come back and edit tommorrow.

Useful:
Swing
Bumbo
Jolly Jumper (I like the doorway ones)
Zippered sleepers instead of snaps, tops with stretchy necks or snaps on the shoulder, not the back.
If your child is still in the portable infant seat in the winter, one of those "bundle me" things. There are many different kinds, but it goes in the carseat and there are holes for the straps, so you don't need big snowsuits on them, they are safer in the carseat and much easier to get ready. Plus if they are sleeping when you get home, you can just unzip the blanket and you won't have to wake them.
Here's a pic in case no one knows what I mean:

This is opened up, but you can see how it fits really well and the straps fit through. When it is zipped up it's like a really warm sleeping bag.

Useless:
Wipe Warmer (no I never bought one, I just think they are ridiculous!)
Diaper Genie and other diaper disposal systems
Bouncy chairs
Baby shoes (until they are walking)

July 26th, 2007, 08:51 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Oh I forgot another necessity--a thick sleep sack. I got a thick sleep sack that fits a newborn to nine month baby and I have put her in that thing every night since she's been born! We only have one, I wash it once a week and I never had to worry about a blanket over her head and face when she was little.
July 27th, 2007, 06:04 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I also think another necessity for me (as a co-sleeper) was my nursing nest....http://www.peacefulpea.com/nursing_nest.html

Of course, if you don't co-sleep, it's not necessary!
July 27th, 2007, 03:30 PM
Veteran
Necessary:
Boppy
Britax carseat--well worth the money with the convenience/safety it offers, I'll never buy another brand again
Infant Swing
Robeez Shoes totally worth it

Useless:
Infant Shoes(are they walking?? Waste of time, socks worked fine)
Jumperoos
Diaper Disposal Systems
Back/Front Carriers(for me) because they killed my neck/back
July 27th, 2007, 06:36 PM
TheOtherMichelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Useful:
Boppy
Bouncy seat
Front carrier
Sleep sacks
Lamaze toys
Bassinet

Useless:
Ring sling
Top of the line swing. It's nice but she'd be just as happy in a cheaper one
Crib bumper

July 27th, 2007, 09:51 PM
rachna's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think tummy time mats are the stupidest thing ever. a blanket does the same thing
July 28th, 2007, 02:29 PM
rose198172's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've never had one, but for me, a diaper genie would be useless... but that's just me.

I love my boppy, the jumperoo and the pack and play (Emilee loves to "cruise" around in it and play with her toys).

Of course, the only real essentials are clothing, diapers, and a carseat.

July 28th, 2007, 09:39 PM
A simple mirror was the most useful "toy" for the first few months.

The bouncy chair things are nice, but I said useless because I'm a big tummy time pusher. Especially with them on thier back to sleep, so many kids are getting flat head so the less things you can lay them down in, the better.

August 3rd, 2007, 05:49 AM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
(Wow, it seems so long...can I even remember waaaay back to what I found useful when they were infants?! )

Useful:
  • I loved our bouncy seat and would put them in it when I was in the shower, so they could be in the same room.
  • Once they outgrew that, we used one of those Exersaucers for the same purpose! (Now, granted, those were both things that were purchased for us...I don't know that I would have spent the money on them myself!)
  • A "sheet saver" that can be pinned to the bed sheet at night when you're done potty training but they're still having an occasional accident at night. That way, if they wet, you can just go in, unpin the sheet saver, and you don't have to change their sheets in the middle of the night!
  • A booster seat instead of a highchair for tight spaces in small kitchens because they're also portable to grandma's house for Thanksgiving!
Useless:
  • Diaper genie! A small trash can and some Wal Mart bags work just as well! (Learned this after my first child!)
  • Those toys with the suction cup on the bottom that are supposed to stay on the high chair tray...they NEVER worked for me!
  • Toys that make a jillion noises and teach letters AND numbers AND shapes AND colors AND French/German/Spanish/Swahili/Pig Latin....gimme a break! No wonder kids grow up overstimulated!
  • The "movies" that are intended for babies (Baby Einstein and Baby Van Gogh) always bored my kids

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

August 5th, 2007, 12:00 AM
lblackst's Avatar Super Mommy
what a great list! I think I would have to agree with most.
Have you seen those bottle sanitizers? I reconsidered the need when I watched my baby chewing on her brother's shoe!!!

<div align="center"><span style="font-family:Verdana">“The doors we open and close each day decide the lives we live.” </div></span>
August 6th, 2007, 07:28 PM
Oh! I forgot the sanitizing bags you use in the microwave! What a fantastic invention!!!

3 mins in the microwave instead of boiling pots and pots of "nipple soup"!
You can sanitize all the parts of a bottle, soothers, or the parts of your breast pump.

April 15th, 2008, 05:51 PM
acupofjoe's Avatar Proud mama of three!
Send a message via Yahoo to acupofjoe
What is some baby stuff that you think was very useful:
nursing pillow we bought at the hospital when i had my daughter; if it wasnt for that i dont think i would have been able to stick it out to BF in the beginning. i had no idea how to hold her when i BFed.
onsies; they are great for little babys that you dont know how to really get dressed as a first time parent.
headbands; there just so stinkin cute!!.

What is some baby stuff that you thought was good for nothing?
the bumbo seat; it was good for about a month..after that my baby outgrew it and it was an outragious amount of money for a piece of foam
walker, my baby hates hers; thank god i bought it used so it was only seven bucks but it still was a waste of money.
May 9th, 2008, 05:39 PM
Spud'sMom
Useful:
Multi-use pads - put them on the changing table, carry one in my diaper bag, have one in the car, have one in the kitchen
Bottle brushes - so I don't have to run the dishwasher Every. Day.
Sleep positioner - peace of mind during the night, if nothing else
Car mirror - I avoid so many near-accidents b/c I'm not constantly turning around to see if Spud's okay in his carseat

Not so useful:
Bassinet - I eventually got a pack-n-play anyways, and now the standard models come with a bassinet option
Ditto on the baby socks
Dr. Brown's bottles - do you know what it's like to clean a five-piece bottle at 3 a.m.?
Bottle warmers - just another gadget designed to get $14.99 out of you
Bouncer chair or swing - I rocked the carseat with my foot
May 28th, 2008, 03:52 AM
.*.H&HMomma.*.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to .*.H&HMomma.*. Send a message via Yahoo to .*.H&HMomma.*.
Useful: Boppy Pillow
Jumperoo
Electric double breast pump
Bottle brush
Wipe warmer
Swaddle me blankets
Sleep positioner

Useless:
Bumbo seat
Baby carrier (the infantino one)
Bouncer
Walker

Make a pregnancy ticker
June 28th, 2008, 10:29 AM
Veteran
Useful--
A really good infant seat/stroller combo and a Britax seat once they are too big for the infant one.
I loved the Bumbo seat--Elle set in it for months and we used it as a feeding seat--I wish they had the tray that they make now.
Bibsters--I think they are so much better than regular bibs--no stains and you always have a fresh one in the diaper bag.
Pull-ups or disposable diapers
Baby Wipes
Robeez shoes they are awesome and they really do stay on
infant gowns when they are newborn--no struggling with snaps or zippers at 2 a.m.
Boudreaux's Butt Paste

Useless

Those little hand mit things--just cut their nails
Diaper Genie???I have one I think it is ok for a couple of months but once the diapers get bigger it fills too fast
Bouncy seats
onesies:unless they are part of an outfit--I am not a fan, I don't put clothes under their clothes and I dress them whether we are staying home or not. I prefer a regular t-shirt.
baby jewelry--bracelets, rings, etc

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search