Why some parent/s send their child/ren private school and not public

Beginner's Forum

For lighter debates and to get to know new members.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Beginner's Forum LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 7th, 2008, 03:22 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Our public school system is crappy. I refuse to sacrifice my child's education by sending them to that school. Along with that, I don't agree with the philosophy of the school/school district. I am considering a few magnet schools within the system -- but more than likely will not choose them due to the reasoning for placing them where they did [to attract low-income families and at-risk children -- the programs to not evaluate if the child would be better off at a say, Montessori school, or whatnot. Therefor the kids who SHOULD be there don't get the support they need. Since kids are so different one philosophy does not fit all children].
January 8th, 2008, 12:55 PM
paganmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
In the small town I live in, the school is great and I plan to send my child to the public school unless something drastic happens before she becomes school-age. As for half day vs. all day kindergarten, I've never heard of half day. When I was that age, my parents sent me to a 3 year private kindergarten from age 3 to age 5. It was great and was an all-day thing. The morning was done as a classroom thing where the kids learned various skills like tying shoes and names of colors and such. Then we had lunch and naptime and the rest of the afternoon was play time. I never felt like my parents were doing me a disservice by sending me there during the day. It was fun and gave me time to spend with my friends and learn fun stuff too. I never attended public kindergarten because after I left there, I went straight into 1st Grade.

To me, kids can handle all day kindergarted just fine. I did and never had a problem with it.

</div>
April 15th, 2008, 04:05 PM
acupofjoe's Avatar Proud mama of three!
Send a message via Yahoo to acupofjoe
i wish i could afford private school, i hate public school.
June 18th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I would love to do private but can't afford it now. Fortunately were I live the schools are good.

DD went to all day private kindergarten at the daycare we were at. She loved it! She's reading & doing math at a 1st grade level. She loves learning & we do more at home at night because she asks for it.

But she was used to going all day because I work. So she was in all day 3 & 4 year preschool as well.

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah
June 18th, 2008, 11:50 AM
swade66's Avatar My friends call me HIRB.
If we remain in the same town we are in now she can go to public school but I would MUCH rather send her to a private school.

The education she will receive at Private school, IMHO, is far superior to that of a Public school.

***Don't expect me to lie to you just because you won't like the truth.***
November 19th, 2008, 05:20 AM
Mummy2R
In the UK it works slightly different. We send our son to a private school, its a Prep school. Why did we do it???.......coz in London its a postcode lottery for state schools and I didn't want my son around children who start school at 5 and can't even speak in English. And this is the case in London....well where I live. We work very hard with our son, and felt like being in a class of 14 children was better for him that 1 of 32 children which is what London state schools offer. I do also believe if your child is bright they will do well in most schools however not all parents share the vision and want that. This school has fantastic results for key stage 1 & 2 which is another reason.
November 19th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Theo's Avatar Fall Down, Go Boom
Interesting thread. I pulled my eldest out of nursery school (she's 4, btw, hasn't entered primary school yet) because I thought that it wasn't advanced enough and she was being overstimulated with the wrong things. Personally, I do think age 5 is a little young to be in class and expected to sit still for 6-7 hours with very few breaks in a large class. In a small class where the curriculum is less based on controlling masses and keeping unruly children in line while just passing the others through, I think it's fine for them to be there all day.

We're going to be moving close to London soon, and one of the reasons, though not the only one, for the move is so that the kids can have a better education in independent or private (we call it public here, weird that the terms are reversed... it makes more sense how other places say it!) schools.

Where we live now, our local primary schools are all CofE (Church of England) run, and DH and I do not want a religious indoctrination in the schools we send our kids to. Even if we opt out, it's still run by those people, and we definitely do NOT agree with a lot of the things the CofE is about or wants to teach. Also, the curriculum is very loose there, there isn't much emphasis on achievement and not much academic challenge for higher achieving students. No humanities, no advanced programmes, et cetera.

For secondary school, it'll be their choice between independent school or boarding school, but not state school unless by that time the state schools have REALLY cleaned up their acts... which I doubt will happen.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search