what do you think about this?

Beginner's Forum

For lighter debates and to get to know new members.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Beginner's Forum LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 13th, 2005, 01:09 PM
butterflygirlie's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to butterflygirlie
Oct. 13, 2005 — When Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes announced they were expecting a child, speculation about the birth started immediately.

The couple practices Scientology, where mothers are encouraged to perform silent birth. That means no yelling or talking during the delivery and doctors are asked to remain quiet as well. It is believed the quiet birth reduces trauma during delivery and therefore prevents irrational fears later in life.

"It got hardcore at the end because she was so big," Preston said. "I changed my mind and said, 'Throw me in the car! I want an epidural!"

Preston was too far along and had to give birth at home. The church doesn't exclusively ban painkillers, but many mothers refrain from using them.

Fellow Scientologist Brittany Wadhams refused painkillers and tried her best to stay quiet.

"About a half hour before pushing, that's when it got more difficult, and that was when I would have a contraction and then I would start screaming," Wadhams said.

A doctor who has attended silent births says medically there's nothing wrong with the practice, but adhering to it might be impossible.

"For many women, I think that it would be difficult to maintain complete silence during delivery," Dr. Thomas Murphy Goodwin told "Good Morning America." "It can be extremely uncomfortable physically and there can be an emotional component that it would make it hard to be totally silent."

Officials at the Church of Scientology say silent birth is practiced at the discretion of the parents and their doctor.

Former Scientologist Lawrence Woodcraft said he felt awkward asking doctors to go along with a silent birth when his daughter was born using the method.

"To me it was very strange and embarrassing, particularly asking the medical staff and doctors to be quiet," Woodcraft said. "They're like, 'Well, we have to do our job.' So that was stressful and difficult."

Some Scientologists say the church has recommended counseling known as "auditing" for mothers who were unable to stay silent.

"My goal was to do it as best as I could and know that what I believed in I tried to follow as close as possible," Wadhams said.

Cruise and Holmes have not announced whether their child's birth will be silent.

abc news ~ tom and katie

i don't think it's possible unless you're knocked out!
October 13th, 2005, 04:47 PM
MamaBx3

Definitely not for me !
October 14th, 2005, 07:12 AM
Platinum Supermommy
WOW! If I feel the urge to scream shout, curse whatever you bet I am, LOL!
October 14th, 2005, 07:15 AM
LouLouMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think the only person who should be silent is Tom Cruise

Angel~9/12/05~with us for 5 weeks</span></span></span>
October 14th, 2005, 07:27 AM
Next, the delivery itself should carry as little anaesthetic as possible, be as calm and no-talk as possible and the baby should not be bathed or chilled but should be wrapped somewhat tightly in a warm blanket, very soft, and then left alone for a day or so.

~ HCO Bulletin of 20 December 1958, "Processing a new mother" by L. Ron Hubbard

LEFT ALONE????? ARE YOU KIDDING ME????? These people have got to be smoking something...It also says that after bringing the baby home, there should be silence for 7 days. I hope Katie snaps out of it and leaves before they get married.

MSNBC.com The doctrine also states that newborns cannot be poked or prodded for medical tests or even spoken to for the first seven days of their lives, believing that babies go through so much pain during the birth, they shouldn't have to experience any further discomfort or sensory experience that could return later in life to haunt them.

October 14th, 2005, 08:55 AM
yes, let's all ignore our babies for a day or so and see if they die of starvation and develope diaper rashes and then go home and not speak for 7 days around the baby and make ppd worse. and the trauma??? ok it might be painful for a baby to be born, for the baby, but shortly after they are born, they stop crying and everything is fine. and to haunt them the rest of their lives?? how many criminals say that they can't get over the fact that they were born and it caused them so much pain and suffering that they needed to act out and do the things they do. c'mon people this is just insane.
October 16th, 2005, 05:30 PM
irishxrose
October 17th, 2005, 03:48 PM
Mom2DavidandAaron's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Leave them alome?? As in neglect them?
No, definitetly not for me. Old fashion screaming or pain relief it it's too unbearable for me and I prefer to be around my baby since day one instead of leaving him alone.

I used to like Tom Cruise, that is until he became a wacko.
October 18th, 2005, 12:31 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to sweetlilmommytobe Send a message via Yahoo to sweetlilmommytobe
He needs to shut up is what he needs to do! Imagine how scared Katie is with him filling her head with all of this CRAP...that is not how its supposed to be after you have a baby..its supposed to be bonding time with your new little infant...SILENCE FOR 7 DAYS???? YEAH, OKAY. Tom Cruise, shove it. Katie, leave him girl!! He'll probably have her, the baby and any future children of theirs on schedules..what a freakin control freak!

And HELLO Tom...have you ever had a contraction?? YOU TRY BEING SILENT WHILE GOING THROUGH THAT PAIN!! Dumb A**!!

October 18th, 2005, 08:31 AM
And HELLO Tom...have you ever had a contraction?? YOU TRY BEING SILENT WHILE GOING THROUGH THAT PAIN!! Dumb A**!!
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
[/quote]

LOL!!!
October 18th, 2005, 10:17 AM
mrobinson
This is hilarious!!! L Ron Hubbard, a man, giving guidelines to having birth and baby care... ONFLMAO I thought I heard it all!
October 18th, 2005, 10:31 AM
Melissa_A's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Melissa_A
Quote:
Originally posted by LouLouMom@Oct 14 2005, 08:15 AM
I think the only person who should be silent is Tom Cruise*
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]

LOL!!!!!! AGREED!!!!!!!!!!!! He's annoying me to no end, every time I see him, hear about him, or hear something he's said, I cringe. The man has lost his mind!
October 19th, 2005, 06:13 AM
<span style="colorurple">Where it all began...Oprah Tom On Oprah Crazy? uh, yeah </span>

October 20th, 2005, 05:12 AM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
I think that this is one more step to showing that the Church of Scientology is a huge crock. Yikes!

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

October 20th, 2005, 08:52 AM
Carliegirl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
This church seems to promote an awfully traumatic and unaturally frightening view of birth. Aren't babies made to go through the birth canal, aren't mothers made to give birth? What is all this trauma that they're talking about? Its intense and a lot of work, but hopefully not traumatizing.

Thanks so much for the lovely siggie Trish (mtdk454)!!!!
<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wTRLvVI/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>

November 1st, 2005, 10:34 AM
Super Mommy
The first thing a mother should do is bond with her child not leave it alone for all that time... How is a baby supposed to know who its mother is if they are not talked to for 7 days? Scientology is wacked
November 1st, 2005, 02:02 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Okay, I really hate to bash religions so I will do this lightly( I don't like my religion bashed either ) That is completly unfounded that they leave the baby alone for a day! That poor thing needs its mother! Not to mention a baby is STARVING when after birth. I really don't think Hubbard has any clue what he is talking about having never given birth. I can bash Tom Cruise though WHAT A DUMMY! And also saying that Brooke Shields shouldn't have had treatment for her depression. Umm,... suicidal thoughts seem to warant help. And he says that "... there are other ways to help her." Well, when she had killed herself you try and talk her into your own beliefs of "helping" her. Katie Holmes... RUN! RUN FOR YOUR LIFE! My guess is this TomKat thing won't last long anyway. He's been married twice now and no one could stand him long.

Mommy to 6 year old Emily and 3 year old Lindsey!

November 2nd, 2005, 02:14 PM
1shortmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to 1shortmomma Send a message via MSN to 1shortmomma Send a message via Yahoo to 1shortmomma
That is all such a crock!! I plan on screaming, cussing, and yelling duing childbirth!!! No one is going to stop me!!! So there Tom Cruise!!! LOL
Why would any parent want to leave their newborn child alone for a day!!! Is this child going to leave me alone for a day when he or she becomes a mouthy teenager??? I doubt it!!!
Next, as far as not having any needle pokes or tests done for 7 days many of those tests are VERY important.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search