Pacifers

Beginner's Forum

For lighter debates and to get to know new members.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Beginner's Forum LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 26th, 2005, 04:14 PM
sandycheeks's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to sandycheeks
Should mothers let their babies use pacifers or not?

I don't know what to do. Should I use a pacifer?

I never had a paciferwhen I was a baby, neither did my sister. My MIL didn't use them either on her 3 boys. So I don't know if I should use one or not.

Please give me your opinion on the matter.
October 26th, 2005, 07:04 PM
Trynitey's Avatar Veteran
The decision is ultimately up to you. Sucking is a comfort to a baby, therefore, I chose to have my daughter use a pacifier. It has also been brought up recently that pacifiers reduce the risk of SIDS if you let your child fall asleep with one.
October 26th, 2005, 07:07 PM
TylerJ1029's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I tried not to give a binky. I figured if I didnt give it to him then its one less thing I have to take away when he gets older. Yet at about 2 months old I gave in and gave him a binkie. He was always sucking on my finger and it seemed to call him down (he had GERD) so I gave him one.

I have read that the want for a pacifier is hereditary so if you nor your DH used a pacifier it very well may be that your child wont want one as well. Just go with the flow.

October 26th, 2005, 07:18 PM
Trynitey's Avatar Veteran
Some babies want their pacifier all day long, others only want it when they need comfort or are trying to go to sleep. Your child will decide if and when they want the pacifier.
October 26th, 2005, 08:02 PM
Denise66's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think each child is different in the sucking need. My oldest ever took a pacifer. We tried but she didn't like it. She would even try to take it out of other babies mouths. My second daughter only took one during sleeping. I would nurse her to sleep but then have to have the pacifer ready to put in her mouth. This only went until she was 9 months old. This was the same with my boys and nursing them. When they were done nursing and going to sleep they needed the pacifer. I can't even count how many nights in the dark I would be nursing them and drop the pacifer. So with baby attached I would be searching the floor for it. When my baby was born last year I didn't want to have to deal with it so I didn't give him one in the beginning. When he was a few months old I tried because he was fussy but he refused to take it.

Saying all that I think you should see how your baby is. Maybe he/she will be able to calm themselves down without the need for extra sucking.

I also read that babies with pacifers have a less risk of SIDS. Something to think about.

October 26th, 2005, 08:19 PM
Jen25's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I say follow your babies cue. My son had one, and it wasnt that bad to get rid of it. Babies have a need to suck, some more than others. My nephew never took one(he sucks his thumb) so i think you should just really follow babies lead. I dont have any strong feelings one way or the other on this.

October 26th, 2005, 09:23 PM
Kierasmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think if you are going to breastfeed you should hold off on a pacifier for a while to avoid nipple confusion.

It's a personal choice really.

October 27th, 2005, 03:19 AM
Nicole's Avatar Veteran
Schapelle never took to a pacifier, and we've decided not to use them for the twins. I've seen children who use pacifiers until they're over 1, and weaning is difficult. It's your decision though, but from what I've seen using them for over a year can cause problems when weaning.

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/">

October 27th, 2005, 08:41 AM
Super Mommy
I resisted the pacifier for about two days after baby was born. But after I gave in and let him have one I realized that he derived so much comfort from it that I'm glad I did. It's a personal choice and I don't care what other people choose to do, but we've found it to be a wonderful thing for our son. And now he's four months old and is slowly weaning himself off it. He's now only interested in it at night. He's just discovered his fingers and has learned how to pick stuff up so he'd much rather suck on other objects. I don't think we'll have much of a problem taking it away when it's time.

October 28th, 2005, 12:27 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I think it's a personal choice for you & your baby. Although my dr recommended not giving her 1 while I was breastfeeding. My dd never wanted 1. She refused it.

Also, I read somewhere that there is a certain age to take it away. I can't remember what it was now but it was much younger than I would have thought - like 4 months.

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah
December 29th, 2005, 02:17 PM
lapoema's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I will not be giving my baby one. I had one in my mouth from the time I was born until I was about 4 years old, and I remember how stressful it was when my mom tried to get me to stop using it. I also think they are kind of gross--I remember how I chewed mine and the rubber would get tough and rot away, and it would fill up with spit. (Why didn't my mom replace it? I dunno.) I was also a very quiet child, never talked much. Maybe the reason for that was because I always had a pacifier in my mouth. I just don't think they're beneficial.
December 29th, 2005, 02:20 PM
bellebutton's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Mine never took one. I had bought them for the girls but they would just spit it out. Which I am glad because I see some parents that let their children still have one even when they are 4!!!

December 29th, 2005, 02:23 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
I just don't think they're beneficial.[/b]
They reduce SID's according to this new study:

(FYI: Dummys are pacifers in this story and cot death is SIDS.)
-------------------------------------
BBC News

Dummies 'reduce cot death risk'

Giving a baby a dummy when they go to sleep may reduce their risk of cot death by 90%, a US study says.
It compared 185 cases of sudden infant death syndrome with 312 healthy babies and adjusted for known risk factors.

The British Medical Journal study found the benefit was greatest for children sleeping in an "adverse" environment.

It said dummies may help stop babies from cutting off their air supply. UK experts welcomed the research, but stressed it was a small study.

The adverse conditions included babies sleeping in a house where both parents smoked.

Cot death rates have fallen in recent years, but it still claims the lives of 300 babies aged under a year old in the UK every year.

The researchers, from healthcare provider Kaiser Permanente, say that approximately one in 2,000 babies die of cot death in California.

But, if all babies used a dummy, they calculate the risk would be one in 20,000.

They say the key may be the fact that dummies usually have a bulky external handle.

This may help to prevent a child from cutting off its air supply by burying its face into soft bedding, or an overlaying object such as a blanket.
Writing the BMJ, they also say sucking on a dummy may enhance the development of pathways in the brain that control how airways in the upper respiratory system work.

Previous research has also suggested the use of dummies can cut the risk of cot death - but not to the same extent.

Don't stop

The Foundation for the Study of Infant Deaths (FSID) recommends that if a baby is using a dummy regularly then it is best to carry on.

Two research studies published since 2000 showed that babies who usually use a dummy but then stop are at an increased risk of cot death on the night they do not use it.

However, the charity said statistical analysis was very complicated, and the findings required careful study.

In a statement, FSID said: "Our advice is that it there is no reason for parents not to use a dummy but if they do, they must use it every time the baby sleeps and never forget to give the baby the dummy."

The charity also recommended:

A dummy should not be coated in a sweet solution

It can be taken away when the baby is about 12 months old

If a mother is breastfeeding, it might be best to wait a month or so before introducing a dummy
Heather Neil, a post-natal tutor with the National Childbirth Trust, said: "This study may well add to what we will eventually know about [sudden infant death syndrome], but case control studies trying to isolate single factors demand larger numbers than have been recruited here, and this study does not tell us why dummies appear to have the effect they found.

"So while the NCT welcomes all research into this topic, on the basis of this study, we really can't say that parents should do anything different from the current 'reduce the risk' guidance."

HOW TO REDUCE COT DEATH RISK
Put your baby to sleep on its back
Do not expose your child to smoke
Keep your baby cool, with its head uncovered
Parents should not share a bed with their baby if they are very tired, smoke or have been drinking or taking drugs which make you drowsy. But the baby should be in a cot in the same room for at least the first six months

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/h...th/4509240.stm

Published: 2005/12/09 00:37:17 GMT

© BBC MMV
December 29th, 2005, 02:25 PM
lapoema's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Geez, you guys never miss an opportunity to pounce! I dunno if I like this board, y'all scare me!!
December 29th, 2005, 02:29 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
Geez, you guys never miss an opportunity to pounce! I dunno if I like this board, y'all scare me!! [/b]
It's just me... you can ignore me! Please come back though.
Besides, it's a brand new study.. how can we all know everything? I screw up all the time!
December 30th, 2005, 09:18 AM
tevinsangel
My DD would have nothing to do with one, but DS likes it for when he is ging to sleep and as soon as it falls out of his mouth, I remove it from his crib. Guess the baby will decide because I wasn't going to give him one, but after looooooong crying sessions, I popped one in and woola...it worked wonders.
December 30th, 2005, 09:24 AM
proudmom3's Avatar Wait for it....
Send a message via Yahoo to proudmom3
i say if your baby wants it, let her have it...my babys always refused them so they never had them....on the other hand my lil sister had hers until she was almost 3 LOL LOL LOL

Jessica: 18
Jordan: 11
Shaelyn: 7
Drake: 3

MeMe to Caleb: 23mos

TS to Lynsey: 9
December 30th, 2005, 10:15 AM
Super Mommy
I gave one to both of my girls... Hannah gave hers up at like 4-5 mo. old. Emily was about 8-9 mo. old. (she was a little stingy.)

I like the SIDS study... I saw it on the news last week. One of my dearest friends lost her baby to SIDS when he was 4 weeks old. So I will back it 100%.

Julie

One of my babies I carried in my heart and one I carried under my heart...

Remember... behind every successful mother.. there is a basket of dirty laundry!!!</div>
December 30th, 2005, 01:02 PM
baccalynnwv's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ayden NEVER took a pacifier. Althouth I tried when he cried.. he just wouldn't do it. Ava will only take one if she is trying to go to sleep and can't do it. Otherwise, she wants nothing of it. Ayden doesn't suck his thumb either and I'm hoping that Ava will not as well. Just two less habits I have to brake.

I have nothing against mothers who give their babies pacies... especially with the recent SIDS study. I know people who are totally against them and I think it's a bit silly.

<div align="center"></div>

<div align="center">Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it. Proverbs 22:6</div>
December 31st, 2005, 09:40 AM
compassiongrl75's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to compassiongrl75
I wasn't going to get involved but after a couple of comments about kids being 4yrs old and still have a binky I had to put in my 2 cents.
My son was born 4wks early and was in NICU for a week b/c he hadn't developed the suckling reflex. I was unable to breastfeed and by the time he came home he was so used to the bottle the he wouldn't take to the breast. I started using pacifiers when he was a couple of months old b/c he was extremely colicky. At 3mos old the ear infections began. My son is now 9 1/2 and he has had 5 surgeries for ear tubes.

He continued keeping his pacifiers until he was 5yrs old. After he was probably around 3 or 4 he never really sucked on them anymore. He would twirl them in his hair and it was more of a comfort thing. If I didn't have a pacifier when he was waking up from the anesthesia, there would be no calming him down until he had one. My mom and I had talked to him about letting go of his binky's but he always got VERY upset about it. On the morning of his 5th bday, he came out to the kitchen when he woke up with all of his pacifiers in his hand and walked over to the trash can, then threw all of them out. He then turned around and looked at me and my mom and said I am a big boy now.

I don't think there was anything wrong with the way I handled it with him and my next child will have a binky if he/she so desires. Now my best friend has two kids, both breast fed and both absolutely refused pacifiers.

It really depends on the child, some will take them and some will not. But just b/c you see a toddler running around with a binky doesn't mean its a bad thing. It depends on what is going on in that child's life and if they feel loved/safe/secure. My son's surgeries made him feel very insecure no matter how hard I tried so it all depends.
I step off my soapbox now. Sorry for rambling....

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search