JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   February 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1838-february-2013-playroom/)
-   -   help- I need to get my girl to sleep through the night (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1838-february-2013-playroom/2665811-help-i-need-to-get-my-girl-to-sleep-through-night.html)

kikismith July 15th, 2013 12:41 PM

help- I need to get my girl to sleep through the night

Hi everyone, its been sooooo long since I checked in.
Life has been busy with 3 girls...6, 2, and 5 months.
Anyways I need to get my 5month old to sleep at least an 8 hour stretch.
Im too exhausted and really in my gut, I feel like she needs to sleep longer at night
for her sake too.
She's over 16lbs, and is EBF. She'll go down at night at around 8pm, then she sometimes sleeps
till 12-1am, then its like every 2 hours to 'snack' on the boob. Then up and awake to start the day at 6am. I need help, should I just put her to bed in her crib at 8pm and feed her at midnight, then when she wakes up later on, just ignore her cries? I have been told that she doesnt need those 'snacks' and I know its a comfort thing.

I react to her every cry because I sleep in a bed beside her crib, so she wiggles, moans, cries and she gets the boob.

HELP, you would think after 3 kids I'd know what to do, I just suck and sleep training. It took me a year to get my 2yr old to sleep through out the night.
Thank you!!

Rebelmommy July 16th, 2013 05:06 AM

Re: help- I need to get my girl to sleep through the night

Does she take a paci? If not I would really look into getting one. If she goes down at 8 and gets up to eat around 1 feed her, then try putting her off with a paci the next time she gets up. You may have to get up and give it to her 3 or 4 times but if it calms her down then she is ready to sleep through the night and is getting up out of habit and not because she is hungry. If she doesn't calm down with the paci then she is hungry and unfortunately not ready to sleep through the night :( Some abies are not ready until they are a year old. Creighton goes down between 7:30 and 8, then he gets up between 1-2 and eats, then he sometimes sleeps until 5 am and sometimes until 7-8. It is exhausting some days but I remind myself that he does have a tiny stomach and breast milk goes through their systems fairly quickly, and if I were hungry and unable to feed myself I would not want to be hungry while trying to go back to sleep :(

Excited_mommy July 16th, 2013 08:32 AM

I second the paci. And maybe less napping during the day would help her sleep more at night.

Sassalota July 16th, 2013 02:04 PM

She sounds to be on the same Schedule as my Joseph. Bed between 7-8 and up between 6-7. He wakes at around 10, 12, 2, 4, 5 or 6 and then up between 7-8. I just have him in a crib next to my bed and feed him before he wakes completely up. I just got off a stretch off about 4 weeks with me getting not more than 3 hours of sleep a night because it takes me a while to fall back to sleep.

I know it is exhausting but there is a myth that babies are suppose to sleep through the night. They are not like little adults. There sleeping rhythms don't mature sometimes until the 9 month or even later. Joseph has only slept through the night one time. I am not worried about it. He will when he is ready.

kikismith July 18th, 2013 12:49 PM

thanks for the comments. I agree with all of you and sometimes feel 'pressured' by the mom that say "OMG your baby doesnt sleep through the night?, mine has since they were born" Well I think thats BS and if thats the case, your poor baby was missing important feedings bc you were sleeping not THEM.
Anyways, the more I think of it, a year of sleeping less then 2-3 hour stretches isnt that bad, I mean they are little for such a short time and I agree with all of you, there tiny tummies get hungry and the thought of letting my baby cry it out when she's hungry well that is beyond me. My husband says the baby has me wrapped around her finger, well she should, im her mom and her sole provider of nutrition.
My baby sleeps exactly like Sassolata's and it takes me a long time to fall back asleep. But its ok, I can function during the day and thats all the matters. I know these moments where im cuddling with my baby girl will soon pass....so Ill just enjoy those late night feedings ;)
She'll sleep longer when she is ready. Thanks for all the input

Sassalota July 19th, 2013 12:17 PM

Yeah some people's comments are too much when you already are nervous about making sure baby is getting what she needs.

We had that same experience with my inlaws...."my kids slept through the night at 6 weeks and we just put them in their cribs".

Well in my opinion you fed them inappropriate food and ignored them and that's why they slept. Someone will always have an opinion. You are doing what baby needs and remember nursing is not about eating only. Baby may just need to feel you. 8-10 hours in a crib is a long time. You would never put baby in a crib during the day and shut the door and expect baby to go for 8 hours without needing you and food. It is stupid that we expect them to do that at night.

I think you are doing well. I am right there with you though because I can't fall back to sleep right away so I am basically awake from like 2am until we get up.

The other thing I will say is that I used to work as a lactation consultant and so many women said they "couldn't breastfeed" because they didn't have enough milk. Well in order to keep your supply you really do need at least one night feeding but so many women felt pressure to make baby sleep through the night they skip feedings or supplement a bottle and the milk goes away.

Sassalota July 20th, 2013 08:19 AM

I also wanted to remind you about growth spurts too (I know you have heard this). Remember they can have one anytime and it might be more of a mental one so you might not be able to tell. I noticed with Joseph that he will nurse all the time for one week (to get my milk ready) and then the next week is when the growth spurt happens. Babies know when to nurse to keep your milk where it needs to be.

Rebelmommy July 20th, 2013 10:42 AM

If it makes you feel any better.. Creighton started getting up every 3 hours through the night again earlier this week :(