JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   February 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1838-february-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Traveling...who has done it? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1838-february-2013-playroom/2680086-traveling-who-has-done.html)

Sassalota September 19th, 2013 04:54 PM

Traveling...who has done it?

We are trying to plan our yearly vacation and we ruled out flying but looking at traveling by car 5-8 hours depending where we select. Who has traveled with their LOs. How did it go? Tips?

Excited_mommy September 22nd, 2013 03:13 PM

Re: Traveling...who has done it?

I took my little one on an 8 hour car ride to Kansas a couple months ago and she did great! We had to stop to feed her and change her diaper.. She didn't like having to get strapped back in her car seat but once she was there it was fine. Also, we used the bigger convertible car seat instead of the infant one and that helped a lot because it gave her more room.
Enjoy your trip.

wishing October 2nd, 2013 08:52 AM

I have travelled the world with my little ones sometimes by plane, train, car, bus all modes of travel.

When are you looking to travel? I honestly found car the hardest. On train and plane I could hold babies in my arms when they got extra fussy.

Bring lots of different toys to distract when they get bored, plan out your route well so that you know where you can stop to change, and get out for little stretches. One parent may need sit in the back to give food, and keep occupied.

my3sonsplus1 October 7th, 2013 11:39 AM

I took DS to Texas (9 hour drive) at the end of July. We brought lots of toys and had a tv with baby movies. It really helped that my friend was with me and could move around in the van to keep him occupied. We are doing the same trip again at the end of the month. I am planning on getting him a convertible carseat before we go. He keeps trying to sit up in his infant seat and gets mad. I took many road trips when my other kids were little. As long as I stopped every once in awhile and had plenty to keep them occupied, they did fine. They actually spent most of the time sleeping.

LuckyOne November 17th, 2013 11:04 PM

My LO hates the being a carseat and the other one gets carsick so we don't do much traveling anymore! But when DD1 was younger we did do 12hr+ trips and we were okay just had to take a lot of breaks, took a ton of clothes, and toys. And when we got desperate and it was dark and we couldn't stop we resorted to movies. But she really just would start watching and then fall asleep.
We want to travel overseas but I just don't know how our lo would do on a plane.

Mommytoeight2013 November 30th, 2013 08:25 AM

We have traveled a few times with one travel being about 10 hours. Matthew did so much better than my other older kids. Lol!

eiramillek January 12th, 2014 12:16 AM

We've travelled quite a bit with our kids. The longest drive we did was a 16 hour drive split up into 2 days with our oldest when she was around 18 months old. That was not fun because that's the hard age where they are not easily distracted.

We have flown a few times since the girls have been born and I find that to be a lot easier than driving.

MiaVena January 12th, 2014 02:55 PM

only by ship. many times. first time, when steven was 2 months old.

spicymustard February 9th, 2014 09:21 AM

we have traveled 2800 miles each way by train and also done a 6 hour each way rv trip and 4 hour each way car ride. I know I"m not in the norm but I prefer driving trips when they are slightly older. It just seems easier because I can give them chunks of food to eat and toys to play with. She likes singing songs in the car at this point too.