JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   February 2014 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1961-february-2014-playroom/)
-   -   anyone with any addictions they have/had to quit (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1961-february-2014-playroom/2661745-anyone-any-addictions-they-have-had-to-quit.html)

marie1990 June 27th, 2013 12:11 AM

anyone with any addictions they have/had to quit

I am embarrassed to say that I am a smoker.. with my first child, i couldn't even stand the smell of a cigarette BEFORE I got my bfp... but with this one, I am finding it hard to lay down the nicotine.. I KNOW that it is something that I HAVE to do ASAP so y'all please don't harp all over me... I have a drs appt tomorrow and will be speaking with him about my options.. but how did y'all put down your addictions? :confused:

Mrs. Harris June 27th, 2013 02:28 AM

Re: anyone with any addictions they have/had to quit

Good luck! I hope your family is supportive.

Maybe consider acupuncture.

10x_A_Mommy June 27th, 2013 05:30 AM

I'm in the same boat marie.

denalibear June 27th, 2013 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs. Harris (Post 27480370)
Good luck! I hope your family is supportive.

Maybe consider acupuncture.

:ditto: I was going to recommend the same thing....my friend smoked for 15 years and was finally able to stop with the help of acupuncture.

Good luck!

NewGurl June 27th, 2013 05:37 AM

I was a pack a day smoker when i got my bfp with Connor it took me 3 packs to quit what ended up working the best for me was simply refusing to buy more................... I know that sounds stupid but it was very hard the convince myself that I didnt need the cigs. on some days it was even hard to convince myself the cigs were bad for my LO's development.......... but some how convinceing myself that I chouldnt afford them so i had to wait for my next pay check or that I chouldnt find my ID so id have to clean up the house first or that they whouldnt sell them to me becuse I was pregnant worked for me...........also sometimes handing your debit card to your better half and saying dont let me have this back unless im getting grocerys and your going with me works to

shell1981 June 27th, 2013 05:48 AM

I've never smoked but my best friend really struggled giving up. Just wanted to wish you luck and offer support.

HollyDogsMamma June 27th, 2013 06:00 AM

I'm in the same boat :-( I've just stopped taking them to work in the daytime, and at night it's freeeezing (it's winter in Australia) so I don't really want to go outside. I'm down to 1-2 a day...

ChristyHailey June 27th, 2013 06:49 AM

Thats hard but remember you are doing this for your little one. Good luck and I hope it goes well!

smsturner June 27th, 2013 06:50 AM

I'm not a smoker now, but I was when I got pregnant with my first. It was hard, and I STILL am tempted (13 years later).
Just wanted to offer love and non-judgemental support!! Good luck to all of you!!

10x_A_Mommy June 27th, 2013 06:59 AM

Also, most states have a free quit program. I think I called 1-800-quit now. They'll send out a "quit pack" with helpful tools and phone counseling. I spoke with a doc who said chantix is an option but not til 2nd trimester. I'll have to do some research on that if I can't quit before then.

sammy1892 June 27th, 2013 07:03 AM

I am in the same boat I am finding it really really hard to stop smoking right now especially with all the stress, but I know I need to stop. I noticed there are a few of us on here that are having problems stopping, maybe we can help each other stop? Be here for each other to talk to and we can all stop together? Support is a big thing when stopping a addiction.

victoria0294 June 27th, 2013 07:34 AM

I've never smoked either, I just wanted to say good luck!
Both of my parents used to smoke, and my brother and I HATED it! Aside from the fact that it's bad for you and your baby (my brother has asthma, because my mom smoked when she was pregnant with him) it's SO expensive! Just think off all the things you could be buying for you and your family with that money! Or put it into a college savings account for your kids!
I know it's not easy to quit, but you can do it!!!

As for me, I didn't think I'd have such a tough time not drinking diet pop. I never drank it a lot anyways, but I want it so bad! Regular pop just isn't the same, it's not as refreshing to me.
Same with other things I didn't pay attention to- fat free sugar free chocolate pudding. I used to have it every night! I'm having regular instead but I don't like it as much.
I also used to eat a little peanut butter every day, but there have been some studies that it may cause kids to have peanut alleriges. I'm not going to never eat it, but I bought organic and I'll have it like once or twice a month. Nobody in my family has a peanut allergy so we should be ok.

Wow, this is harder than I thought it would be!!

SmilingSam June 27th, 2013 07:54 AM

Thankfully I put down cigarettes (the 4 I was smoking a day) last August... Someone mentioned this before, but with this pregnancy I have had some cravings for them. Ugh.

It wasn't an addiction, but I had a Rx for sleeping pills. I used to could fall asleep, but not stay asleep. Every two or three days I would use a pill to help me get some rest. When I learned I was pregnant I checked and saw that the sleeping pills had a known risk of birth defects. :( So those went in the trash. I miss falling asleep and staying asleep!

lovemyleah June 27th, 2013 07:58 AM

I'm not a smoker, but both of my parents were, like 1-3 packs a day (depending on the parent, lol). I remember coming home from the babysitter at the age of 6, getting in the front seat of my mom's car, and she would light up right there. :( It was not fun, and a motivator for me never to touch cigarettes.

My thing is tea. I was drinking about 6 glasses a day. My nausea has made tea repulsive, so maybe my body is telling me something. My other two pregnancies, I would drink a glass or two a day though. I couldn't ever totally cut it out, before now, of course.

blakesgirl09 June 27th, 2013 08:05 AM

Lurking for December DDC!!
I want to congratulate you all once again on your pregnancies!!!

I was also a smoker before I got my BFP!! I smoked for almost 15 years with the exception of about 2 years when I was pregnant with my daughter and up until she was about 9 months old.

What worked for me, was giving them away! I had 1 1/2 packs the morning that I got my BFP and when I got to work, I handed them to my receptionist and never looked back. She kept them in her desk drawer for about a week and it drove me crazy so I would just tell myself if you can make it until noon, you can have a cigarette. Once I made it till noon, I decided that I had made it that far, I could probably make it till 3:00, once I made it there I could make it till 6:00. Just take it day by day, hour by hour if you have to.

Good Luck and know that I am pulling for all of you!! You can do this, I promise :)

JewJewB June 27th, 2013 08:14 AM

My vice is definitely alcohol. I'm not picky. I would take wine, beer, a cocktail. Whatever! LOL! It's not hard for me to give it up. I would just really like one every once in a while.

amazing_love June 27th, 2013 09:20 AM

I'm not a smoker but I want to wish you lots of luck!! We're here to support you without any judgement! :)

My biggest addictions are coffee and chocolate, both i've cut back on but not given up. Its especially hard with coffee because i have so little energy except when i do allow myself a cup.

Quote:

Originally Posted by victoria0294 (Post 27480719)
As for me, I didn't think I'd have such a tough time not drinking diet pop. I never drank it a lot anyways, but I want it so bad! Regular pop just isn't the same, it's not as refreshing to me.
Same with other things I didn't pay attention to- fat free sugar free chocolate pudding. I used to have it every night! I'm having regular instead but I don't like it as much.
I also used to eat a little peanut butter every day, but there have been some studies that it may cause kids to have peanut alleriges. I'm not going to never eat it, but I bought organic and I'll have it like once or twice a month. Nobody in my family has a peanut allergy so we should be ok.

Wow, this is harder than I thought it would be!!

I've never given up peanut butter with any of my pregnancies and in fact lately i've been having it almost daily. Not something i worry about, especially considering we have no peanut allergies in either family.

lilflower June 27th, 2013 09:38 AM

Same boat here also. I've been a smoker for a while. It's hard to quit. Fortunately I'm an e-cigarette girl, so I can lessen the amount of nicotine and make it NONE but just flavored water vapor...

Might want to give that a try too.

Cyn June 27th, 2013 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smsturner (Post 27480591)
I'm not a smoker now, but I was when I got pregnant with my first. It was hard, and I STILL am tempted (13 years later).
Just wanted to offer love and non-judgemental support!! Good luck to all of you!!

I just wanted to echo Susan and offer love, non-judgemental support, and luck on your journey to quitting. I smoked for 10 years before my first and I had my last cigarette the day I found out I was pregnant. (7 years ago) It was so hard, but my dh would have killed me had I continued. We had been trying for 16 months and I promised myself and my dh I would quit immediately if I was blessed enough to get pregnant.

I stayed a nonsmoker throughout my pregnancy and my son's young years, but every once in a while I would fall off the bandwagon, especially in social situations and when something stressful happened. What really helped me was that if I cracked and bought a pack I would smoke the couple to get rid of the craving or while at the party and then break the rest and throw them in the toilet. I just couldn't have them around or I would continue to smoke them until they were gone. Then I knew that if I really wanted another, I would have to waste another $7 or so. I'm cheap so it helped. It wasn't until just recently, within the past year or so, that I noticed that it isn't the first thing I want when stressed and that I actually like being a nonsmoker. It only took 7 years! You can do this! It will be hard, there's no doubt about that, but you can do it! Good Luck!

Quote:

Originally Posted by JewJewB (Post 27480841)
My vice is definitely alcohol. I'm not picky. I would take wine, beer, a cocktail. Whatever! LOL! It's not hard for me to give it up. I would just really like one every once in a while.

I want a glass of wine so bad!!!!! And it doesn't help that I have a large bottle of one of my favorites in the fridge in our garage!

smsturner June 27th, 2013 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JewJewB (Post 27480841)

A teacher friend brought me some frozen wine cocktails, and some kahlua bottles as a thank gift last Thursday. Awww.... seriously??? What timing :(