JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   February 2014 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1961-february-2014-playroom/)
-   -   Pregnancy safe bug repellant (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1961-february-2014-playroom/2662463-pregnancy-safe-bug-repellant.html)

Jibby June 30th, 2013 08:31 AM

Pregnancy safe bug repellant

I need recs for safe bug repellant. I keep finding conflicting info...ive read DEET is the devil and Ive also read that 10% deet products are ok. Not going without bug spray is a no...they eat me alive. Its also warm and muggy where we will be going so long sleeves and pants not feasible.

Help!

denalibear June 30th, 2013 08:48 AM

Re: Pregnancy safe bug repellant

Burt's bees makes a good one that has worked great for me....I'm allergic to deet. Cutters has a natural one that works well too.

NewGurl June 30th, 2013 09:02 AM

when used properly even deet products do not cause any proven increased risk of birth defects. (most recommendations against it are because of allergic reactions)

however it isnt that hard to find deet free bug spray almost any children's formula will be.

if those doesnt work and your still worried simply use one with a lower concentration of deet the higher concentrations only effect how long it lasts not how effective it is.

only 5% to 10% of pesticides from bug sprays will be absorbed into your blood and that is when they are placed directly on your skin so if your still worried even with a low concentration you can simply put the majority of the product on your clothing instead of your body.

if you wanna go totaly spray free iv heard that both lavender essential oil (wear it like perfume) and dryer sheets (rub them over your clothes then put them in your pockets) repel most mosquitoes but i haven't personally tried either.

(idk why it like triple posted this lol but i think its fixed now)

victoria0294 June 30th, 2013 09:03 AM

Last weekend we asked a pharmacist the same thing- her answer was that the all natural ones would probably be ok, but there hasn't been much testing done. She said the OFF fan you clip onto your belt would be ok, or one of the repellant bracelets.
I just hooked a bracelet one through my belt loop. It didn't really work though lol.
The all natural would probably be ok though. I just knew I wasn't going to be around that many bugs so I figured I'd be ok with just the bracelet. I just got a few bites ;)

Dolly Lama June 30th, 2013 09:10 AM

While I'm over here...:)

Although there are some good ones on the market, I make my own. If I'm hanging out in my back yard, I slice some limes and poke a bunch of cloves in them - that does the trick for mosquitos.

To spray on yourself, you can easily make your own. Fill a spray bottle halfway with distilled (or boiled) water, fill the other half with witch hazel, then add some essential oils - I like citrus, clove, eucalyptus, but you can do some online research and find a combination that you can live with.

This all started with me having a child with autism, and it blossomed into me making sunscreen and bug repellant, curing lice with essential oils, making my own lotion, and even making my own bug repellant for my rose bushes...As an added bonus, this stuff is all much cheaper than buying things ready made. :)

Mrs. Harris July 3rd, 2013 02:11 AM

Personally, I stay away from the chemical stuff. If you don't have time to make your own there are some great natural ones you can buy.

I have this one. It's just essential oils. Anti-Bug Spray by Badger: Organic & Natural Bug Spray Repellent

lilflower July 3rd, 2013 05:49 AM

I'm weird. I still use Skin so Soft on me and my kids.