JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   February 2014 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1961-february-2014-playroom/)
-   -   Pumping Q (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1961-february-2014-playroom/2690997-pumping-q.html)

caliroo34 November 7th, 2013 06:09 PM

Pumping Q

I'm hoping and intending to breastfeed. I'll be staying at home with LO for at least the first few months, maybe longer. Although I know it's feasible to only feed by breast, I'm sure I'll want to pump some. I want my SO to be able to feed her occasionally, and to be able to go out without her once in awhile and have someone care for her. I'd rather not supplement if I don't have to.

So, what kind of pump should I buy? By that, I mean electric or manual? I'd really much rather get a manual if I can get away with it. For one, it's loads cheaper. For another (and still the same idea,) I'd rather buy one while I'm in The States in a couple weeks, rather than here. The savings will be quite substantial. For that to happen I really need it to be a manual, as converting a charger to work here is a pain and it's entirely possible I'll blow it up. Unless they work on batteries too? I want to buy a good brand, as this is one area I don't feel buying the economy brand would be the best move.

BUT if you all think there's no way a manual will be sufficient, then I'll suck it up and get an electric. Thanks for the input ladies!

SkyBaby November 7th, 2013 06:40 PM

Re: Pumping Q

I have this:
Lansinoh Affinity Double Electric Breast Pump- Preparing For Baby Shopping Guide

It worked well enough. Got what milk I had out. Electric and battery operated. It was not the cheapest available nor was it the most expensive. If I can't find all the parts to my pump, I will be buying another one of these. The only experience I have with breast pumps is with this model so I'm far from an expert, but just thought I'd share what worked for me. :)

I heard great things about Madela but they are very pricey.

Breastpumps | Medela

OscarsPaprika November 7th, 2013 07:13 PM

I had a manual from the second brand mentioned up there, and it was awesome. I had to use an electric in the hospital after birth and it was uncomfortable for me. I paid less than 80 for mine on sale. It broke down in less than 5 minutes to wash, and I could put it together in about the same amount of time.
I'll be buying another manual because it is cheaper, for me it was easier, and I don't like whipping myboobout in public so isI'd rather have a bottle.

Cyn November 7th, 2013 07:46 PM

I want to try and pump this time around as well, but mostly bc I've heard it might help my milk supply. I'm a stay at home mom so I never really thought of doing it with ds. I just planned on strictly feeding him from the breast. I've heard that pumping might have really helped. So I too need help finding a good one. I'm actually looking for an electric one over a manual though, preferably a double. I'd kind of like it to be a quick process. For some weird reason pumping kind of creeps me out and I have no idea why, so I want it to be over quickly. I think it is the machine on boob thing. Anyway, hope we both have luck in our pump hunt. lol

NewGurl November 7th, 2013 11:06 PM

For the OP you defiantly can use just a manual pump for occasional pumping infact some women even respond better to manual pumps & are able to express more. these are 2 that should be pretty easy to find are about $30 and have some of the best ratings.
Amazon.com: Medela Harmony Manual Breast Pump: Baby
Amazon.com: Lansinoh Manual Breast Pump, 1-Count: Baby
Keep In mind though that your situation might change While some ppl never need to pump and some ppl use a manual every couple weeks any number of issues could crop up making frequent or even exclusive pumping necessary if you still want to provide your own BM.

my son was born early and a combination of hospital stay weak suckle and poor latch meant I Exclusively pumped for months before we even got to experience traditional breastfeeding where he actually transferred a sufficient amount of milk while my SIL is battling recurrent mastis and is pumping to try and alleviate the issue......so even a SAHM may end up a pumping mom for any number of resons

While you certainly can use a manual if this happens (once upon a time there was no option) doing so every 3 hours can get quite exhausting (especially if like me for 4 days you happen to only have the bicycle pump style one the hospital provides because your cheapy single electric NUK pump burned out from over use after only 7 days and its the middle of the pay period so your broke) so you may want to consider having something nicer to start with our an emergency fund that you can use on other baby things or to treat yourself if it ends up not being an issue.

to CYN Id personally suggest one of these 3 for regular use

Amazon.com: Medela Pump in Style Advanced Breast Pump with On the Go Tote: Baby (this is what I used and had no problems pumping exclusively with...... you will need to do occasional maintenance but its super easy trim the tubes replace the membrains the most annoying part of the pump is the cleaning membrains between sesions IMO)

however iv been looking into open vs closed system pumps alot Open Systems vs. Closed Systems (the medela is an open system)
the 2 that follow are some of the top recommended closed system pumps.
EnJoye
Amazon.com: Ameda Purely Yours Ultra Breast Pump: Baby
I personaly will be useing my PIS agin cuz lets face it I allready have it and they are expensive lol but its something worth looking into (I wanted to add that from what iv seen personal for the most part if properly cleaned and maintained quality open system pumps rarely do get contaminated)

for all partys be sure to check with your insurance although things are probly a bit differnt for those not in the states the new regulations here mean many insurance providers now cover breast pumps How to Get Breast Pumps Covered by Insurance - iVillage so be sure to call in and check on that.

Kalia20 November 8th, 2013 07:00 AM

I've only ever used a manual one, worked fine. IDK the cost I didnt buy it. I didnt even try until she was about two months, so around the time painful engorgement stopped and she was able to feed off of just one side. Also didnt want to risk over production in the beginning either so waited until it "evened out" a bit. I did it in the mornings, thats when I would get the most. Milk was kind of bluish in colour. If one side wasnt good enough for her, she was still able to use the other side. One thing I found really helpful was to do it at the same time as feeding her cause it's so much easier with the let down from the baby than the pump so thats when I did it. Saved on breast pads too :P
Buy Philips AVENT Manual Breast Pump from Canada at Well.ca - Free Shipping

It has covers on the pump part with "petals" thats supposed to help stimulate, but I didnt like them. Preference.

The downside? Pacifers and bottles were torture devices she wouldnt touch either. I waited the 6 week period to make sure she didnt get nipple confusion/preference. I tried every kind of material and bottle out there. Ofc NOW she wants to use the babys bottles I bought and even snuck one and drank from it. She tries telling us she used one as a baby even though me and daddy told her she didnt. 5 year olds huh? Not only that, but she wouldnt drink it from a cup when she got older either :( I had my freezer full all to waste. She wouldnt even take it if I had pumped just then, picky little thing. I wish I had known then there are sites out there with moms looking for donors.

I have a double electric one this time going to give it a try. Yes I bought it used, but thats just a simple cleaning and sanitizing. I paid a whole $2.50 for it and it WORKS!! But I dont like how loud it is. Oh well. I even got 12 glass bottles for it for $4 too. Score :D I still want a manual as a back up though, this baby should be a lot different than her so hopefully my freezer stash wont go to waste cause honestly I'll pump for as many years as long as s/he will drink it.

And as always, dont use the pump to gauge how much you make, cause it's inaccurate. You might be lucky and be able to get tons, or kinda so so or very little at all. Time will tell. I was lucky to get an ounce at a time some days. Rolled oats are your best friend. Definintly look up storage times and containers. Storage time depends on your fridge and what kind of freezer you use. I have to relook that up myself.

If you have any more questions, this is a great page on FB where questions get tons of responses from experienced moms. I check it out from time to time, learn so much!! Very friendly there too (at least Ive never seen any wicked women in there)
https://www.facebook.com/BeautifulBreastfeeding

beben14 November 8th, 2013 09:59 AM

I too will need to pump. I plan to only breastfeed -- but once i go back to work (3 months) I need to leave a good storage of milk for her. Also, DH would like to help with the feeding -- so I may need to introduce a bottle even while at home for him to use. I found out about the Medela Calma bottle -- it supposed to make the transition easier and help with nipple confusion. It has good reviews. In terms of pumps I'm looking for what to purchase. My friend who pumped with her first had a double Medela electric one and she said that the single would have been just fine. From most of the reading I've been doing about breast pumps -- everyone recommends electric and Medela brand. They are pricey, nothing less than $270 for one. Then you will need extra parts to have one cleaned as you're using the other.

RIPcitymommaT November 8th, 2013 10:12 AM

Caliroo, I am also a bit overwhelmed about what pump to buy, etc. There are so many options. I know you are out of the US but for all the Americans out there, I heard that the Affordable Care Act is now paying for the price of a nice breast pump so you all should check that out....in Australia they may have a program too?

melissalaw November 8th, 2013 10:26 AM

I have never used a manual pump so I'm not much help. But I did use the Medela Pump in style which was an electric pump and it was awesome so I know the medela brand is great so if you want a manual then I would try the medela brand.

i pumped at worked so baby could drink breastmilk while at daycare and I needed something fast and effecient.

caliroo34 November 10th, 2013 04:41 PM

Thanks ladies! I think I'm going to go with a manual Medela and see how it goes. If for any reason I need to upgrade to electric then I'll figure that out when the time comes. I'll be getting it in the US-so much cheaper! going to save about 50 bucks so I'm happy about that.