JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Financial Planning and Budgeting (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f223-financial-planning-and-budgeting/)
-   -   Planning Financially for a New Baby (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f223-financial-planning-and-budgeting/2095628-planning-financially-for-new-baby.html)

Susan Parker September 6th, 2010 12:30 PM

Planning Financially for a New Baby

If you considered only the financial implications of having children, you might end up childless. There's no two ways about it: having a child is very expensive. Financial experts say a home is the biggest investment most people will ever make, but they're forgetting about the cost of raising children, which far exceeds the average home price in the US.

momtothe3rdpower September 6th, 2010 06:03 PM

Re: Planning Financially for a New Baby

very true! I can't think about what we pay for daycare, it makes me sad :(

SpazTaz September 6th, 2010 09:24 PM

I think it just depends on the home life and what you do with your child, sign them up for, if you help with college, etc. Also a child isn't an investment as you get nothing in return nor can you sell them (well not supposed to haha), so they're really not "investments". It also depends on what your home is worth.

But like we do not pay for daycare and I still bring in a full time paycheck, I make sure not to blow a bunch on clothes so I spend around $200 a year in clothes for our son and $70 a year in shoes. Now he does play baseball which costs but that's our choice and isn't very expensive, same with Cub Scouts. School supplies everything he needs to learn, so the only others is his medical care, dental care, food, and college fun.

Our house more than likely exceeds what it will cost to raise our son I would drastically imagine...if not exceeds comes very close.

Just depends on each individual household IMO on if that's a true statement or not. More of a variable statement I would say.

mommy2Breana+Brandon September 7th, 2010 07:53 AM

I know what you mean. Children are expensive but so worth it :)

bunnybaker September 20th, 2010 07:42 AM

We're WTTC partially to save up so we won't be pinched when our lil man or lil lady arrives.
It is a large financial consideration, but I don't think the cost of raising a child should/would stop people from having them.

meetkristianne September 22nd, 2010 04:14 PM

I would add that if people considered the actual responsibility of raising a child, that might be a deterrent. You are responsible for bringing another person into this world, who will grow up with what you teach them, knowingly and unknowingly.

I don't feel raising a child has to be expensive money wise but it is time intensive!