JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Fit Friends (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1880-fit-friends/)
-   -   Healthy Recipe of the Month - October (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1880-fit-friends/2580733-healthy-recipe-month-october.html)

Carwen*Angel October 4th, 2012 03:21 AM

Healthy Recipe of the Month - October

Since everyone was talking about soup in one of the other threads on the board, it inspired me to make October's healthy recipe of the month homemade soup!

I thought it would be a good one to share since:
- Everyone's making soup anyway!
- I have quite a few different recipes to share and it seems so do you ladies so you can add them to this thread if you like
- I've been saying for ages I need to get my blender out and get back into making soup!!

Soup is such great soul food! If you have a go at one of these remember to post a pic and review the recipe or add any variations you discovered.

In all of the following the veg need boiling up all together with seasoning etc. Then leave to cool down some. Then put the veg in the blender. Then top up to maximum fill line with water from the pan (it will contain some of the nutrients). Then whizz up, and it's ok to reheat 1-2 times, and will be ok for a few days - more if you freeze it.

These are all tried & tested and make 3-4 servings.

Spicy parsnip

2-3 large parsnips, 1-2 potatoes/1 swede, black pepper to taste (go on the heavy side), salt

Spinach & garlic

Whole bag spinach, 1-2 cloves of garlic, 1-2 potatoes/1 swede, salt

Carrot & coriander

2-3 large carrots, 1-2 potatoes/1 swede, 2 tsp dried coriander leaf, handful fresh coriander leaves, salt and pepper to taste (keep a few coriander leaves back to float on top)

For this next one, I'd fry up the veg and seasoning with some rich olive oil. Leave to cool some, then put in blender and fill to max fill line with fresh water (boiled and cooled some if eating straight away, cold is fine if putting away for later).

Tomato & basil

2 beef tomatoes, 5-6 standard size tomatoes preferably ON the vine (or some small on the vine tomatoes plus around 3-4 normal standard size tomatoes), 6-8 chopped sundried tomatoes (in the absence of these a squirt of tomato puree), rich olive oil to fry, 2 tsp dried basil, half bag fresh basil (around a handful and a half) if possible, 1-2 cloves garlic. Put basil leaves in just before taking frying pan off heat. You may wish to save a few to float on top.

Variation: for spicy tomato & basil
soup, add 1-2 red chillies, seeded for a fiery kick, or deseeded for warming & spicy.

If you have a hand blender rather than a jug blender, drain excess water from pan before blending (so that there's no "empty" water at the top of the veg) and put the blades to the very bottom of the pan. You would have to transfer the tomato
soup mixture from a frying pan to a standard saucepan and add the water before blending.

Carwen*Angel October 23rd, 2012 08:07 AM

Re: Healthy Recipe of the Month - October

SPICY PUMPKIN & PARSNIP SOUP

Which I made with the innards of Daniel's carved pumpkin! Same instructions as above - ingredients are 3 parsnips, 3 potatoes and half an onion to whatever flesh you can get out of a small pumpkin. Salt, pepper and dried coriander leaf to taste. ;)

RandomRobot October 28th, 2012 02:07 AM

Re: Healthy Recipe of the Month - October

im going to definatly make the pumpkin and parsnip :) sounds delicious!