JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Food Allergies (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f220-food-allergies/)
-   -   Has probiotics helped your child? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f220-food-allergies/2578581-has-probiotics-helped-your-child.html)

luv.my.baby.boy.jaxson September 28th, 2012 11:09 AM

Has probiotics helped your child?

Hi all, I'm ne here.
My son is 3 months old next week. We have had all sorts or problems with formula. He was very fussy, gassy and spitting up. We tried just about every formula there is (per dr orders) with no luck and finally settled on Alimentum when he was 2 months. It has made a World of a difference but occasionally a little fussy after feedings. But now we have some new problems. He has been having large amounts of mucus in his stools. I took him to the doc today and they want a stool sample from him to make sure there is not an infection in the intestine but she just thinks he has a very sensitive gut. Anyway she gave me some probiotic drops to start giving him to see if it helps. I was just wondering if any of your are giving your baby probiotics and did it help at all? I'm really hoping this stuff helps and all these problems we have been having with his stomach ease.

marysinc October 24th, 2013 03:43 AM

Re: Has probiotics helped your child?

Lots of people have problems with lactobaccilus and dairy-based probiotics. We've switched our whole family to soil-based organisms and it seems to be really helpful. However I'm yet to find a way to give that to our daughter as they come in capsules and are not exactly palatable in the same way that dairy probiotics are.

Sassalota November 21st, 2013 12:05 PM

Hi- Just lurking on this board and I will probably join.

YES YES YES to the probiotic. I used to work as a infant nutritionist who specialized in feeding. I don't know your story but did bfing not work? Some moms get so fed up with the formula issues they re-latate and everything goes away. Don't mean to pry but just know it is an option. Formula is so hard on babies but yes alumental formula is easier (not on the pocket book though).

Oh I have a 9 month old on Baby flora and it is wonderful! We nurse but he couldn't tolerate any food until I did the probiotics.

I don't mean to make you feel bad so if BFing is not an option ignore but some women are never told they can re-latate after they are dried up.

mamaginger January 20th, 2014 06:37 AM

I see that this is an old post but wanted to comment that probiotics HAVE seemed to help my dd with her eczema. We just use Kids Culterelle. It's a powder that can be poured in food or drink. It has no taste. I would check with your dr though about how old baby needs to be to have it.