JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Food Allergies (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f220-food-allergies/)
-   -   FPIES?? Anyone have some tips? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f220-food-allergies/2713738-fpies-anyone-have-some-tips.html)

Skye10 March 24th, 2014 12:10 PM

FPIES?? Anyone have some tips?

I'm not new to JM but new to this board. So hi everyone! I'm hoping someone can help me. FPIES is Food Protein-Induced Enterocolitis Syndrome.
My 7 month old does not tolerate rice or oatmeal. She's had it on 3 occasions and each time she vomited violently starting 2 hours later until her stomach is empty and she has diarrhea for a couple of days after. The first 2 times I thought it was a stomach bug but then realized it wasn't after the third time. She's a healthy breast fed baby, 50th percentile in height and weight. She had her 6th month check up today (had to reschedule twice due to fever) and her doctor thinks it's celiac disease but doesn't want to do anything about it until a year. Rice doesn't even contain gluten! Ugh. He hadn't heard of FPIES and didn't seem to care. He just said to keep trying every month or so and if she was still having these issues at 1 year when it's time to wean her that we will do blood work. I'm concerned that she is going to have this reaction to other foods. She doesn't really like food anyway. Sometimes she will eat a few bites of banana or chew on a whole green bean but that's about all I can get her to eat, oh and mashed potatoes. I've read about awful reactions requiring hospital stays and that if rice is a trigger that it's common for many other foods to be a trigger as well. Nothing I eat has caused her to have a reaction so I'm hoping that's a good sign. Does anyone have any tips? Suggestions? I'm thinking of getting a second opinion. I'm not certain she has it obviously but it seems that it's likely.

Hazel March 24th, 2014 01:39 PM

Re: FPIES?? Anyone have some tips?

My oldest did not tolerate oatmeal as a baby. I don't know about rice because I never gave it to him. We didn't do baby cereals at all with him but if I gave him a bit of my oatmeal, he'd be very ill. His pediatrician at the time insisted I HAD to give him baby cereal and that it was coincidental that he vomited every time he had oatmeal. Yeah, no, not making my kid vomit! Our second pediatrician (dumped the first as soon as insurance would allow it) didn't recommend baby cereals at all but preferred babies eat real food instead so she and I were in agreement :lol:

When he was older we tried oatmeal again and he did fine with it. It is one of his favorite things today! He was very sensitive to dairy products as an infant and I had to cut them out of my diet for months until he outgrew it. He was also sensitive to caffeine (no coffee for mom until he was over a year :( ). And as a toddler, he broke out in hives whenever he had ranch dressing. All of his sensitivities to food, though, he outgrew and he can eat anything now.

I know it doesn't answer your question about FPIES because I don't really have any experience with it. But I do have experience with the oatmeal vomitting :) All of our kids just ate what we ate, within reason. First foods were sweet potatoes (I baked them until they were super soft and just took a scoop out of my potato to give to baby), avocado, banana, then on to tender meats and other veggies and fruits. You might check out baby-led weaning and see if its for you :)

And really, at this age, she doesn't need to be eating all that much--before one its just for fun :) Its about exploring and tasting and squishing and checking out this thing called food--most of her nutrition is still going to come from nursing :) I've done extended nursing with all three of my kids and it wasn't until around 18 months that food became a big part of their diet--before then they would snack but weren't interested in eating a ton. After one, I'd offer food first and when they didn't want anymore, they would nurse. Around the 18 month mark is when they were eating what I would consider a full meal and using nursing as the "snack" :) Hopefully someone who has experience with FPIES will come along as well and have some experiences to share :)

Skye10 March 24th, 2014 01:47 PM

Re: FPIES?? Anyone have some tips?

Thanks for the reply! We are baby led weaning, sort of :) if she finds interest in something I'm eating and it's something that won't hurt her, I let her eat it. I'm not concerned about her not eating cereal because I know it isn't necessary but i just don't want her I have problems with other foods. And she's not sleeping through the night :((My first was a great sleeper, he spoiled me!!