JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Formula Feeding (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f92-formula-feeding/)
-   -   Probably a Stupid Question!! (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f92-formula-feeding/1595767-probably-stupid-question.html)

ChicaChels June 12th, 2009 02:05 AM

Probably a Stupid Question!!

First of all I want to apologize for being slightly MIA. I have pretty much just been checking in with my DDC once a day or so and then been too busy to be on JM much!

Anyway my question is probably stupid but it is something I have been thinking about a lot lately so here goes!

Formula temperature for a NB...If I am uncomfortable using tap water from public places (I plan on just putting Nursery water in the bottles before I go, I have a formula dispenser already) how do I warm it up? Is room temp bottles ok for a newbie?

Also, if room temp is ok for brylie in the beginning, should I only give her room temp bottles at home so she doesn't refuse them in public?

Should I get a bottle warmer for her room? I also saw bottle warmers at BRU that plug into the adapter of car..is this something I should invest in?

I feel like a moron for not knowing these things...buttttt I am a new mom to be with only one friend with a son who was breast fed for the first 6 months so she doesn't help much!! :lol:

any insight is mucho appreciated!!! :D Thanks a lot!!!!

Samiel June 12th, 2009 09:28 AM

Re: Probably a Stupid Question!!

I think it just depends on what you start them with and how picky the baby is. My sister's babies always had warmed bottles and her 7 month old daughter is just now getting to the point that she will take room temperature water while away from home.

When I was bfing and supplementing my daughter from 4 days old to 4 weeks old I would give her the ready to feed individual sized bottles without warming them and she didn't complain. If I had a ready to feed bottle in the fridge I'd stick it in a cup of warm water just to take the chill off. Now that she's full time on powdered formula she always gets room temperature tap water.

I'd just stick with room temperature if I were you because it's a million times easier that way!

newme08 June 12th, 2009 11:46 AM

I agree with room temperature water.. it is SO much easier!

JulieM June 12th, 2009 05:40 PM

Emily will eat her bottle any way it comes as long as it is food. We used the bottle warmer if we kept the bottles in the fridge when she was born. Otherwise she ate them room temperature. We did room temp in the hospital so she has done both since birth. sometimes when it is hot and we have been outside she will take a bottle right from the fridge. I just feed it to her slow so she doesn't get a brain freeze.

TrinitysMommy June 12th, 2009 08:21 PM

I would give room temperature to start off with. The ready-to-feed bottles they use at the hospital are room temperature so she'll be used to it from the start. Every baby is different. Mine can't tolerate cold formula but I know of plenty babies who can. You'll learn her preferences. :smile:

JennyBlossom June 12th, 2009 10:25 PM

Every baby is different... most newborns are kind of stumped by a cold bottle, and they are more likely to refuse a cold one than a room temp one.

I think you will be just fine putting room temp nursery water in a bottle and going. Once you figure out your baby's preference, then you can decide if you need a car bottle warmer

Kaylin doesn't care what temperature it is... she actually likes a colder bottle when we are out and about, since it is so hot outside. It's refreshing. :D

Mommy2Delaney&Everleigh June 12th, 2009 11:45 PM

we always use either warmed water or room temp...she is getting better and I think soon she wont care if its cold either. One time we were out and she was hungry and all I had was a cold bottle of water and she freaked out about it...so I went out and bought a car adapted bottle warmer...that was probably 4 months ago and I;ve never used it lol! You'll easily figure out what she likes best!