JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Formula Feeding (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f92-formula-feeding/)
-   -   New to this board.. HELP please! Allergic reaction to formula? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f92-formula-feeding/1697038-new-to-board-help-please-allergic-reaction-to-formula.html)

schufamily September 7th, 2009 11:39 AM

New to this board.. HELP please! Allergic reaction to formula?

Because of a life-threatening illness I got I've had to put my dd on formula..(Can't nurse for another 7+ days, and that is IF I can even supply enough w/ not nursing for several days now) she's developed a bad rash on her bottom, and NOTHING will help it.. It's raw !! So I'm wondering if she is having a reaction to the formula? I'm using Similac Advanced, and was given a new Similac Isomil or whatever it's called... it's soy based, lactose free.. Do you think I should try that and see if it clears up? I was going to call the doctors today and then realized they aren't open! duh!

Thank you!! What a rollercoaster I'm on..

p.s. I plan on joining this board, now that I'm having to solely supplement..

clm817 September 7th, 2009 11:51 AM

Re: New to this board.. HELP please! Allergic reaction to formula?

Did it happen right after putting her on the formula? I have heard of diaper rashes forming from a milk allergy. And just so you know most people who have a milk allergy ALSO have a soy allergy! I would try a milk based lactose free or reduced kind like Enfamil gentlease or Similac Sensitive.

But it may also just be coincidence and have a yeast infection, a very bad diaper rash that OTC creams don't work for. The doc may give you a prescription rash cream or suggest an anti-fungal cream like lotramin.

I would say try either of those formulas first since the docs are closed and lots of nakey time to air out the diaper area and if it's not healing up soon or getting worse call the pedi. Hope you figure it out!

schufamily September 7th, 2009 11:59 AM

yes it happened w/in a day of her being on it.. oh wow I didn't realize soy would be an issue too!! UGH, I'll go see if I can find one of the ones you've mentioned and try that. I've tried cortizone on it, because she had been treated for a rash between her legs, under the sides of her tummy, and that cleared right up.. nothing is helping this at all..

clm817 September 7th, 2009 12:05 PM

In the mean time for the rash try washing her bottom with warm water and corn starch, pat dry and then leave her naked for as long as you can or try putting her in a cloth diaper (you can just make one out a receiving blanket too). Yucky diapers will just trap the moisture on her and make it worse. ;)

*Fiona* September 7th, 2009 12:29 PM

The only thing I can suggest is not to use babywipes if you happen to be using them. Use only water and cotton wool until it clears up.

I'm not sure if you get this cream overseas, but in the UK we have Bepanthen for nappy rash, it's brilliant. Ditto the airing the skin, lay her on a towel to portect your carpeting.

JennyBlossom September 7th, 2009 02:00 PM

Hi there!! Welcome to the board! I hope we can help you get this cleared up... diaper rashes can be so awful!! Kaylin actually has a pretty nasty one right now.

How old is your daughter?

I would call your pediatrician tomorrow morning, first thing. They may prescribe an anti-fungal or antibiotic cream, depending on the type of rash. They will also be able to give you lots of suggestions to sooth her poor little hiney ;)

Here is what I have to clear up diaper rash... (these are all suggestions from my pediatrician's office)
-- Bath her in a warm bath with about a cup of baking soda added to her water. Don't use soap... just let her soak for about 10 minutes. Do this twice a day until it clears up. When you do need to wash her with soap, empty the bath so she doesn't sit in soapy water, wash her (but not the infected areas) and rinse quickly - more like a shower than a bath, but it keeps the infected area from being further irritated by soap. Even baby soap might irritate it.
-- Oatmeal baths are also great for itching diaper rashes. Aveeno Baby makes a great oatmeal bath powder
-- Let her air dry from the bath... After towel drying her, let her play naked for a while on a towel or in her crib to completely dry her skin.
-- Don't use baby wipes until it clears up - use a damp wash cloth. Baby wipes will irritate the rash.
-- Use a zinc oxide cream - Balmex, Desitin, Burt's Bees, Budreoux Buttpaste, etc. Use it with EVERY diaper change until it clears up. Make sure you get it all off every time you change her, then reapply.
-- NO JUICE. I don't know if you baby is old enough to eat solids or juices, but the juice can irritate it further, from the acids.
-- When Kaylin has been prescribed Nystatin for her skin yeast infections, we put cornstarch powder on top of the cream and use it in between applications to keep her skin dry.

I have heard of milk allergies causing diaper rashes, but more often they will cause fussiness, spit up, diarrhea, or gas. It's not unheard of, but less common. Like Chantel said above.... babies who have milk allergies will often have a soy allergy too. I would try the Enfamil Gentlease or Similac Sensitive. See how that works.

starryeyedme04 September 7th, 2009 10:17 PM

Sounds like a yeast infection to me. Bella has gotten quite a few of them recently. Our ped prescribed her Nystatin and within a day or so, it starts to clear up. It works really well. Our ped told us we could continue to use baby wipes bc we use the huggies natural wipes, which are alcohol and fragrance free etc (she told us this when DS had a yeast infection). Also, let her bum air out when/if you can. Oh and when DS, they had us change his diaper often (same for bells), then use cool air from a hair dryer to dry his bum, then put the nystatin on, then destin/buttpaste etc on it as a barrier. With bella, we just put the cream on, then added a bunch of powder. Anyways, hope this helps some. I would def. get her into the ped to get it looked at!

MamaAnna September 8th, 2009 08:27 AM

Don't give up on the soy formula just yet. My first two had horrible, horrible trouble with Similac, but did beautifully on Isomil. A problem with one may not mean a problem with the other.

What kind of diapers are you using? Did you switch those at all around the time the rash appeared? That kind of rash can be from something the baby is eating, problem diapers, wipes, or even the ointment you're using. So far I've had to switch from ointment to baby powder and I'm going to have to switch diapers with the next box because they're irritating her skin. Definitely call the pediatrician though if you haven't already. Let us know how it goes!

JennyBlossom September 8th, 2009 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaAnna (Post 17226234)
Don't give up on the soy formula just yet. My first two had horrible, horrible trouble with Similac, but did beautifully on Isomil. A problem with one may not mean a problem with the other.

What kind of diapers are you using? Did you switch those at all around the time the rash appeared? That kind of rash can be from something the baby is eating, problem diapers, wipes, or even the ointment you're using. So far I've had to switch from ointment to baby powder and I'm going to have to switch diapers with the next box because they're irritating her skin. Definitely call the pediatrician though if you haven't already. Let us know how it goes!

True - I didn't even think about this...

Have you switched anything of hers lately?
Diapers? wipes? laundry detergent? dryer sheets? food? a toy?

schufamily September 9th, 2009 08:16 PM

Hey everyone, thank you for your responses.. I hadn't recently changed diapers/wipes.. we had that issue already.. she has to be on pampers sensitive everything! lol.. the rash is going away now!! I quit putting stuff on it, and just did the Aveeno Oatmeal bath, and that has helped it a lot!! So it was probably just her adjusting to the formula.. Thank you all so much for your kindness and support!! I'm definitely sticking around :)

JennyBlossom September 9th, 2009 08:25 PM

Glad that it helped!!

Is she adjusting to the formula? How are her diapers? Formula poops are a different monster than breastmilk poops, so they can take a tole on a baby's hiney and tummy!

How about everything else? Is she taking to it ok? How are you feeling momma? :)

I hope it continues to improve! Keep us posted!

MamaAnna September 9th, 2009 08:26 PM

I'm glad she's doing better. It's so hard seeing them feeling less than perfect.