JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Formula Feeding (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f92-formula-feeding/)
-   -   Newbie Bottlefeeding Mama (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f92-formula-feeding/2240748-newbie-bottlefeeding-mama.html)

Soleil February 6th, 2011 03:08 AM

Newbie Bottlefeeding Mama

Hi :)

I'm Katey, 32, mother to a beautiful 6 day old boy named Liam. For various reasons, we have decided to bottle feed our boy. I breastfed the first night and early the 2nd morning.

The hopital gave us enfamil premium newborn nursettes. Little Liam took to them great!! Now that we're home, we bought the same formula in powder. We have tried the 8 oz. Dr. brown bottles w/ the newborn nipples in the starter kit and some 4 oz. Avent with level 1 Avent nipples.

Sweet Liam doesn't drink as quickly or as happily from either bottle as he did the nursettes from the hospital. I'm worried hes not eating enough. He's been wrapped in a biliblanket sinnce 6 pm last night (its now 6 am) while being held against mommy and daddy. Maybe thats hindering his feeding? Probably not tho.

Any help/advice greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!! We see his pediatrician again today got more jaundice tests so we'll be sure to ask. :) thanks!

kimmiejo February 6th, 2011 08:48 AM

Re: Newbie Bottlefeeding Mama

first off congrats! second I would probably try some different bottles and nipples, maybe try some latex nipples (the brownish ones?) some babies are picky. The cheap Evenflo and Gerber bottles have small nipples like the nursette bottles so maybe give those a try? I hope he starts eating better for you!!

LifesGood February 6th, 2011 10:45 AM

aw congrats. I agree try a bunch. I use playtex dropins with the slow flow when Hope was little. I liked the plastic evenflo. they are cheap. like a buck a bottle.

ZeliaMarie February 6th, 2011 07:25 PM

Congrads...I agree with what others have said. Try The latex nipples out. I know the nursers have latex nipples. My DS was the same way and ended up only taking latex.

i:heart:you February 7th, 2011 07:00 AM

Congrats on your new baby! We loved the bottles from the hospital, they were the only nipples we could use at first. I tried dr browns, advent, the vent air, the only bottles he will take are the cheap evenflo bottles. He does fine with them, he is not gassy or any issues. DD would only take the Dr Browns...try a few and see what works for you.

Gaby&Emmy'sMama February 7th, 2011 12:31 PM

congratulations on your new baby & welcome to the formula feeding board! I'm Emma (27), Mummy to Gabrielle (4) & Emersyn (7.5mo).

I agree with the other ladies about trying some different bottles/teats - it can sometimes take awhile to find the right fit for your baby :)