JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Formula Feeding (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f92-formula-feeding/)
-   -   Anyone FF a previously BF baby? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f92-formula-feeding/2278458-anyone-ff-previously-bf-baby.html)

alicenwonderland March 17th, 2011 09:33 AM

Anyone FF a previously BF baby?

Its gotten to the point where my son breaks out in hives, vomits, and poops blood when he gets breastmillk. Even after removing the 8 most offending allergens from my diet, he's just getting worse :(

We're trying hard to switch him over to Neocate amino acid formula. It's not made of anything natural... so it doesn't taste very nice. (no milk, no soy)

I can't get him to take more than 1 oz at a feeding. He freaks out, cries, moves his head, pushes the bottle away with his hands. He's 5 months old, and pretty set in his ways.

Anyone have any advice?

Gaby&Emmy'sMama March 17th, 2011 03:13 PM

Re: Anyone FF a previously BF baby?

oh wow, that must be really hard for you to be going through.. I have no advice - sorry :( perhaps talk to your ped or someone and see if they can suggest anything? Is there a different formula you could try?

MaggieLizer March 19th, 2011 11:07 AM

Poor Teddy! We started on Nutramigen formula which is similar (no milk or soy). It also didn't smell too pleasant so I imagine it didn't taste good either. But maybe he would tolerate a different brand if you could try that. Similac makes one too - Alimentum, I believe.

Was he already taking a bottle? Could it be just an issue with bottle feeding in general that maybe a different type of bottle or nipple would help? I know some babies can be picky as far as what kind of bottle they will use.

I don't know if this is terrible advice or not, but maybe you could gradually mix some of the formula with BM in the bottle. I know when switching to different types of formula sometimes they suggest starting with 25% of the new kind and 75% of what they're used to (in his case breastmilk) then slowly going up to 50/50 and then 75/25 so that they gradually get used to it. The problems with the breastmilk would still be there for a little while but hopefully he would get used to just drinking the formula over time.

Daffodil March 19th, 2011 12:04 PM

Awww, I'm sorry your son is having such a bad reaction! I recently switched my daughter from breastmilk to formula, but she was already used to a bottles. I switched her to regular milk-based formula, but I still had issues. She didn't want it at all, would take a sip and spit it out. Finally my friend was baby-sitting her and was able to get her to take a bottle. I'm not sure why she took it from her and not from me except maybe since she was a different person she didn't expect the same thing she usually drank? After that, I have been able to feed her, although she was only drinking a little bit for awhile.

So maybe have someone else try to feed him when you aren't around?

alicenwonderland March 19th, 2011 01:20 PM

Thanks for the advice!

DS can't take nutramagen or Alimentum right now. He is even too sensitive for htem. Even though the milk protein is hydrolyzed, he still reacts to it.

We're doing better. I had to work this weekend, and DS is doing great having DH feed him. Working up to larger feedings every day!

Daffodil March 19th, 2011 01:46 PM

Yay!!! Glad he's doing better!! I'm sure once he's used to the formula he'll start taking it from you as well.

Has your pediatrician talked to you about how you are going to approach solids since the little guy is so sensitive? And is this something he'll likely grow out of?

Adriana's Mommy March 27th, 2011 12:30 AM

never mind :)