JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Formula Feeding (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f92-formula-feeding/)
-   -   How much formula? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f92-formula-feeding/2300675-how-much-formula.html)

Daffodil April 11th, 2011 07:43 PM

How much formula?

I didn't get a chance to ask my pediatrician this since my daughter was screaming her head off at her 9-month appointment, but how much formula should babies be drinking nearing the end of their first year? I guess what I'm really asking is how LITTLE is "ok"? I remember her telling me when I was exclusively pumping that by the time she is 11-12 months she will probably be down to 16 oz per day but I don't know if that's the same with formula.

kimmiejo April 12th, 2011 07:02 AM

Re: How much formula?

Sam will be 11 months on the 21st of this month, he still drinks at least 24 oz per day however our pedi said 16 is perfectly fine and what we should aim for at this point. I am pretty sure by this time my dd was only drinking 16oz or less but she was never a great eater anyway, Sam is a piggy LOL

MaggieLizer April 12th, 2011 07:37 AM

Good question Seema. Vincent still takes probably 30 oz. a day and as you know he's not a big solids eater yet. I'm just now going to start on 3 meals a day and hope he starts eating more and drinking less formula so we can start aiming for that 16 oz. by about 11-12 months. I'm hoping we'll be able to just drop his last bottle soon and see how that goes.

Daffodil April 12th, 2011 09:22 AM

Thanks for the info kimmiejo!

Yeah Michele my daughter is also drinking a lot...she's actually drinking more now than she was last month...but maybe its a growth spurt? I need to start giving her 3 meals, she's only eating 2 as well.

Caelen April 12th, 2011 12:20 PM

DS1 did about 16-20oz at that point

MaggieLizer April 13th, 2011 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daffodil (Post 23614798)
Thanks for the info kimmiejo!

Yeah Michele my daughter is also drinking a lot...she's actually drinking more now than she was last month...but maybe its a growth spurt? I need to start giving her 3 meals, she's only eating 2 as well.

We tried 3 meals yesterday and he didn't eat that much at any of them. But he had his last bottle around 5 and dinner around 6:30 or 7 and fell asleep for the night at 8:30 which is pretty early for him. So he only had 3 bottles yesterday. I was worried he would wake up hungry in the middle of the night. He woke up around 3 and was alert for a bit but just went back to sleep after a while. I'm hoping to try the same thing again tonight.

ZeliaMarie April 13th, 2011 01:30 PM

Caleb has 8oz at a time and about 4 bottles a day so...32oz a day :D but he is still eating 3 meals a day too. Humm maybe that's why he is 21lbs at 9 months... LOL

speechteach42 April 13th, 2011 06:15 PM

Ellie is 11.5 months and she's down to about 16 oz a day.