JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Frugal Mommies (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f88-frugal-mommies/)
-   -   How do you save on... (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f88-frugal-mommies/2231276-how-do-you-save.html)

escalada99 January 27th, 2011 08:19 AM

How do you save on...

Fresh Fruits *& Veggies?
I started back WW and it is really hard to spend so much on fresh fruits & veggies. I can't wait until the summer and I can go to the outdoor markets and buy stuff cheap!

mgm78 January 27th, 2011 09:31 AM

Re: How do you save on...

do you have local produce places? they sell produce for dirt cheap. I buy what is in season and what is on sale. A lot of sweet potatoes, bananas , carrots, parsnips, rutabaga, kale, etc this time of the year. Mangoes and avocados are on sale a lot now too.

ashleighgurl January 27th, 2011 12:27 PM

I go to our farmer's market and I watch the sales. I buy what is on sale. I love it during the summer months though for all the berries!

youngwoman January 28th, 2011 05:40 AM

It's definitely harder this time of year. I try to buy what's on sale. I can't wait for spring and the re-opening of our farmer's market!

3OhioBoys January 28th, 2011 06:27 AM

Don't be afraid of discount stores like Aldi. I swear I bought the best pineapple there once.

I dream of having a huge garden and canning a lot but I don't know that that will ever happen.

pattyandthemoos January 28th, 2011 08:25 AM

Well, this is what I do. I always cruise through the fruit section for the ones that are already chopped up for you and almost every week I find some that are 40% off or more. I just look for the fruits that are close date because we eat it really fast around here. I don't usually buy fruit unless it's marked down. I'll buy apples on sale but the rest of the fruits I buy I look for the marked down ones.

frugality=reality January 28th, 2011 08:55 AM

I get a lot of produce at Aldi now. They have great prices, and they have really good produce. I get pineapple, bagged salad, heads of cabbage, peppers (they have 2-packs of colored peppers for around 2.00-half the price I pay for two peppers at a traditional grocery store), mushrooms, etc.

If I have only a traditional grocery store, I use my $/$$ coupons on the produce. I get 5/55 or 5/30 coupons fairly regularly, and those are typically used when I'm doing a big produce purchase if I'm at the regular store.

Caelen January 28th, 2011 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3OhioBoys (Post 22888606)
Don't be afraid of discount stores like Aldi. I swear I bought the best pineapple there once.

I dream of having a huge garden and canning a lot but I don't know that that will ever happen.

Aldis was a good place for us to get fruit before we moved! The only thing I've been weary about buying there is meat. Mostly because we've had a bad experience before. Fruit/dairy/boxed/canned etc has always been fine for us.

For us now.. In the summer I have a pretty large garden that I get quite a bit from. I did carrots, tomatoes, pumpkin, acorn squash. strawberries, lots of herbs, eggplant, jalepenos, bell peppers, broccoli, onions and green beans. All of that stuff except the tomatoes (unless you make something out of them first) freeze really well, so we grow and freeze for later.

Farmer's markets are awesome here too. We stocked up on some of the stuff we didn't grow and prepped/froze that stuff too. We don't have any local places that are exclusively produce. There was a place in Rochester, MN that I would go to sometimes. It got pricey in the winter though.

There are some fruits that grow wild here that we pick then prep/freeze. Raspberries, blackberries and apples. The apples aren't really the ones you can just eat though, they're baking apples but they freeze and keep very well.

Then for actual winter I just have to go with what is on sale! Lately we've seen a lot of sales on apples, citrus, bananas, mangoes (ds loves these for breakfast!), kiwi, lettuces and carrots. I wish a sale for avocadoes would pop up. I've been craving them.

frugality=reality January 28th, 2011 11:24 AM

I buy meat at Aldi all the time, and it's always been great quality. Even the stuff I get at the last minute with the $ off stickers over the label so they have to ring manually.

mgm78 January 28th, 2011 12:02 PM

we do not have an Aldi nearby.

~Jess~ January 28th, 2011 03:28 PM

We're really lucky that we live in a largely agricultural area so our produce is reasonably priced since it doesn't have to be shipped in from another state. I buy whatever is in season and won't pay more than $1/lb for any fruits/veggies.

Caelen January 28th, 2011 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frugality=reality (Post 22892362)
I buy meat at Aldi all the time, and it's always been great quality. Even the stuff I get at the last minute with the $ off stickers over the label so they have to ring manually.

Yeah I think we were just very very unlucky that time. We got soe meat that was packed with multiple cuts in a pack and when we took it out to cook it the middle piece was green :eek: . We also had something similar happen with a pack of hotdogs that DH bought there. Always had great luck with everything else though. It might have just been that specific Aldi store.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Jess~ (Post 22894811)
We're really lucky that we live in a largely agricultural area so our produce is reasonably priced since it doesn't have to be shipped in from another state. I buy whatever is in season and won't pay more than $1/lb for any fruits/veggies.

Lucky!

I'm so ready for grapes to be cheaper.. they're almost $3 a lb here. And berries.. ready for those to be cheaper too.

momtothe3rdpower January 28th, 2011 05:46 PM

bananas all the time and yeah, just shop the sales!!! Hoping to find a produce stand tomorrow because were going for a drive!

ashleighgurl January 28th, 2011 06:57 PM

I've seen sales on mangos and bananas and DD loves those! I have berries frozen, but it's not the same to me.