JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Frugal Mommies (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f88-frugal-mommies/)
-   -   How much do you spend on fruits and vegetables? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f88-frugal-mommies/2281263-how-much-do-you-spend-fruits-and-vegetables.html)

ashleighgurl March 21st, 2011 12:38 AM

How much do you spend on fruits and vegetables?

How much do you spend on fresh fruits and vegetables every week?

mgm78 March 21st, 2011 06:10 AM

Re: How much do you spend on fruits and vegetables?

about $75. mostly all purchased at Costco, but that is the bulk of what i eat.

momtothe3rdpower March 21st, 2011 08:42 AM

I am guessing about $25 per week, not quite sure because I just cruise through produce on every store trip and pick up my staples I always have (bananas, lettuce, tomato) and then grab whatever is on sale and any special produce i need for specific recipes. I also have a garden, but the only stuff I can harvest right now is cilantro and lettuce, but within a month I should have tomatoes, green beans, more lettuce---and I am trying cantelope, cucumber, carrots, and peppers but I am not always sucessful with those. We have such a hot summer here I haven't quite figured out how to grow in it successfully.

youngwoman March 21st, 2011 01:03 PM

Anywhere from $10-25 per week depending upon what's in season and what our menu looks like for the week. I definitely spend more in the summer months.

2kids2cats1dog March 21st, 2011 02:49 PM

I try not to look!

Yesterday I bought bananas, strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries (all organic) at Costco. I also got English peas and green beans. It was $45 for those items alone---and it'll only last 3-4 days.

~Jess~ March 21st, 2011 07:46 PM

Maybe it's just here, but I find most produce to be quite a bit more expensive at Costco than at the grocery store. The exceptions would be lettuce & bananas, which are without fail cheaper at Costco.

I spend around $30/week on fresh fruits and veggies.

frugality=reality March 21st, 2011 08:02 PM

I have been spending a lot more lately than what I spent a couple years ago. I'm probably up to about 20-30 dollars a week now.

I don't vary much; I get a bag of apples, a pineapple (or two if they're cheap enough), grapes, bananas, romaine lettuce, colored peppers, and mushrooms. Lately, I've also been getting strawberries since they're in season. I'll add watermelon when it's in season too, otherwise it's an occasional treat (like today's 6.00 monster :o ) if I can even find them. Once in a while I'll get the kids a cantaloupe if/when it's on sale.

I forgot baby carrots and onions-which I pick up as needed-but always have them in my fridge. :)

2kids2cats1dog March 21st, 2011 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Jess~ (Post 23415240)
Maybe it's just here, but I find most produce to be quite a bit more expensive at Costco than at the grocery store. The exceptions would be lettuce & bananas, which are without fail cheaper at Costco.

I spend around $30/week on fresh fruits and veggies.

I don't find that for organic produce, though. Also, I am not averse to returning fruit to Costco if it goes bad within 3-4 days. Where as, if I guy fruit and Whole Foods, and it goes bad, they give me the stink eye for bringing it back.

ashleighgurl March 24th, 2011 12:39 AM

Every week, we spend about $15-$20 depending on what I need/want.