JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Frugal Mommies (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f88-frugal-mommies/)
-   -   Cheap snacks? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f88-frugal-mommies/2287487-cheap-snacks.html)

Repti.Mom March 27th, 2011 03:59 PM

Cheap snacks?

What do you feed your kids for snack that is cheap?

If you buy popcorn kernels and oil and make it in a pan at home, that's pretty cheap. It's around 1.00 at Sav-a-lot for a bag of kernels.

I got 4 boxes of 2 pkg kellogs bar things from target for 2.00 (had 4 50 C off coupons and they are in the 1.00 section)

I also got a really good deal on chex mix/ bugles. They were 3/4 at walgreens and there was a $4 off 4 coupon so I got 8 bags for 2.67. Otherwise that would be just a very occasional treat. (name brand stuff)

Any other ideas? Fruit/veggies are so expensive to do every day, and goldfish etc are also very expensive.

mgm78 March 27th, 2011 04:17 PM

Re: Cheap snacks?

take a tortilla, smear it with PB and then place a banana on it, roll it up, then cut into 1 inch pieces, banana sushi :D
Baked chickpeas are delicious, seasoned nicely. Nice and crunchy.
I make muffins and sweat breads (banana bread, zuchinni bread, pumpkin bread, etc).
we mostly do fruit for snacks though.

DD likes goldfish, and I stock up when they are on sale for $1/bag.

Repti.Mom March 27th, 2011 04:38 PM

How do you bake chickpeas? That sounds interesting!

Luv2Laugh March 28th, 2011 04:14 AM

I buy snacks when on sale and stock pile things like fruit snacks, granola bars, popcorn I usually get for free or 10 cents a box. I will sometimes "splurge" and buy snack cakes like little debbie etc
Quote:

Originally Posted by Repti.Mom (Post 23470176)
What do you feed your kids for snack that is cheap?

If you buy popcorn kernels and oil and make it in a pan at home, that's pretty cheap. It's around 1.00 at Sav-a-lot for a bag of kernels.

I got 4 boxes of 2 pkg kellogs bar things from target for 2.00 (had 4 50 C off coupons and they are in the 1.00 section)

I also got a really good deal on chex mix/ bugles. They were 3/4 at walgreens and there was a $4 off 4 coupon so I got 8 bags for 2.67. Otherwise that would be just a very occasional treat. (name brand stuff)

Any other ideas? Fruit/veggies are so expensive to do every day, and goldfish etc are also very expensive.

youngwoman March 28th, 2011 04:59 AM

I stock up on goldfish when they're on sale for $1 or less. We do a lot of fruit (whatever's on sale that week, and we always have bananas in the house), yogurt w/ homemade granola, graham crackers, applesauce. I tend to bake something each week as well, whether it's muffins, cookies, banana bread, etc.

Repti.Mom March 28th, 2011 05:15 AM

You ladies should make a post and share some of your cheap baked recipes with me, like breads etc. I stay home there's no reason I can't bake :lol: Well except for the fact I only have 2 bread loaf pans.

I have a problem with Sebastian being really picky. He'll eat (for snack) crackers or any type, bananas, grapes, any type of cookie/wafer, and that's about it. Hell half the time he eats that stuff for supper too!

way2gomom March 28th, 2011 06:21 AM

I make snacks at home - usually baked goods. Simple recipes will almost always be cheaper than storebought goodies. The fancier things you make, the more expensive they are, but your standard chocolate chip, peanut butter, snickerdoodle cookies can be fairly cheap - especially if you stock up on butter, flour and sugar when it's on sale. Flour and butter can be put in the freezer to keep it longer. We always have popcorn in the house, and we just buy kernels. We live close to Amish areas, and their stores have very cheap kernels.

Mom 2 Alayna N Hayden March 28th, 2011 10:52 AM

We do a lot of baking, but I stock on when I find great deals on name brand snacks. We always keep fruits and veggies in the house too, regardless of the sales. My kids love apples and PB!

mommy2Breana+Brandon March 28th, 2011 11:44 AM

We are a fruit kick right now. We also have granola bars, but there is discounted grocery store by us where we can get it for 99cents for a box of 6.

2pinks&ablue March 30th, 2011 03:47 AM

We snack on a lot of fruit, and we bake a lot, but I also stock up when I see a really good deal.

ashleighgurl March 30th, 2011 09:23 PM

We eat a lot of fruit for snacks. DD has been loving all different fruit lately. I usually get what is on sale that week, but always have bananas and apples. I also bake a lot, so we eat a lot of different breads and muffins.

momtothe3rdpower March 31st, 2011 02:06 PM

Big on BANANAS! Also, bags of apple tend to be cheap, and anything I can pick from my garden. I also love to make banana bread, hard boiled eggs, pb and j sandwiches. Yogurt is ALWAYS in our fridge too!