JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Frugal Mommies (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f88-frugal-mommies/)
-   -   How did you learn to live frugally? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f88-frugal-mommies/2572905-how-did-you-learn-to-live-frugally.html)

ashleighgurl September 13th, 2012 10:21 AM

How did you learn to live frugally?

How did you learn to live frugally?

alwayssmile September 14th, 2012 08:02 AM

Re: How did you learn to live frugally?

Grew up this way. Money was always tight for my family. So naturally once out of the house I continued the same way....only my parents think I'm nuts because I've gone beyond their frugalness now (I don't buy paper products instead using cloth napkins and utility cloths, etc). But hey, it allows us to save money while allowing me to stay at home!

2pinks&ablue September 14th, 2012 02:34 PM

To a degree, from my parents. When I was really young they were frugal because they had to be, then Dad owned his own business and they didn't have to be but they didn't see the sense in paying more than necessary. I've taken it to new lengths beyond theirs though lol

sugarloafbaby September 14th, 2012 05:41 PM

I learned frugality from myself. My parents were horrible examples when it comes to personal finances, so I kinda went the opposite way they did. I read books, blogs and articles about all aspects of it, I am pretty much all self-taught when it comes to frugal living!

promises1 September 14th, 2012 09:20 PM

I learned some from my mom but mostly on my own when DH was out of work and we were expecting DD. Then as prices seem to increase over the last few years, on pretty much everything, we had the same amount of money coming in. I had to make the most of what money we did have.

ashleighgurl June 10th, 2014 12:43 AM

Anyone else care to share? :)

LUSHaye June 16th, 2014 10:48 AM

I guess from my mom. Three kids kind of makes you have a better eye for bargains. I really just don't like paying more than I need to and I like to see my money go farther.

Kayakgirl July 22nd, 2014 11:09 AM

I grew up in a rather frugal household so I learned my parent's ways. I got married to someone who is very like-minded financially so it was easy to continue my ways and learn some from him too.
Sometimes I treat it like a hobby too, like trying to find recipes that save money or finding ways to reuse items. That probably sounds lame, but it keeps me busy and it keeps me from spending much money.