JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   FTT and Weight Gain Issues (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f113-ftt-and-weight-gain-issues/)
-   -   New here, any suggestions? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f113-ftt-and-weight-gain-issues/1064185-new-here-any-suggestions.html)

sarahbmeyer May 13th, 2008 04:18 PM

My little guy, Corben, is 2 months old. He was born at 38 weeks at 7lbs 4oz but lost over a pound in those 1st few days and has gained really slowly since. We've been in for weight checks nearly ever week and at his last one, he was actually down an oz, to 8lb 6oz. He's my 3rd and his sisters were both similar birth weights and about 11 pounds by 2 months old.

http://sarahbdesigns.net/images/CorbenGrowth.jpg

I am breastfeeding and pumping as often as I can and giving him that in bottles with formula powder mixed in to increase it to 24 calories/oz. We've been to the lactation center many times and confirmed he is nursing well and taking in enough milk per session. When I've kept detailed records he nurses about 12 times a day, at least 20 minutes each time, and give him an extra 5-6 oz of the enriched breastmilk in bottles.

We go in later this week for a blood draw to run tests searching for a cause for his slow gain (actually the 2nd time, 1st time the lab lost the sample!). The pediatrician really seems stumped because Corben seems completely healthy otherwise and not at all fussy. Any suggestions on what I should make sure that he tests for?

Xty May 14th, 2008 05:54 AM

Welcome!
It sounds like he eats ok - you didn't mention him getting mad about eating or not wanting to eat or throwing it all up or anything like that. So do you think he eats enough, but his body is not using the calories properly? My DD was the opposite - couldn't get her to take in enough calories. I'd say you should ask for a consult with a pediatric gastroenterologist (GI doc) - they are failure to thrive experts and would know best what tests to be running.
Let us know what the blood work says.
- Xty

frgsonmysox May 14th, 2008 07:24 AM

He might just be a slow weight gainer too. My son gained weight really quickly but then tapered off, and my daughter is gaining weight really slowly. Adding formula will beef up his formula but it also might make him less full for his next feedings as well.

sarahbmeyer May 14th, 2008 07:42 AM

Thanks ladies!

Corben hasn't ever thrown up and the only times he's spit up is after a large bottle. If these tests don't show anything and he continues not to gain much/lose I will take him to a pediatric gastroenterologist.

The thought is that he has an infection of some sort that is causing him to burn more of his calories fighting. I forgot to include in my first post, but a urine culture was done 2 weeks ago also and it showed that Corben had a UTI. After a few days on the antibiotic he was a lot more alert than normal, but now that the antibiotics are over, he's back to sleeping a lot more. We went in to the Children's hospital for a kidney and bladder ultrasound and a VCUG--both came back showing all is normal so it doesn't really make sense that he would have a UTI so now the dr is thinking maybe the sample was just contaminated.

I have no idea what it would be, but I really do think he has an infection of some sort since he was so much more alert when on the antibiotics. Although if it is an infection he may have been fighting it since he was born, because his weight gain has always been less than half of what they want. :(

Xty May 14th, 2008 08:23 AM

Why did the doc take the first urine sample? Was he showing signs of a UTI? Does he have any other symptoms other than sleeping a lot? Does he sleep more than a normal baby his age? Does he get tired when feeding and fall asleep?
I sure hope they can figure out what's going on!
- Xty

sarahbmeyer May 14th, 2008 08:48 AM

The urine sample was taken just in the search to look for something wrong. Corben's never had a fever or even been extra fussy. He's always had at least the minimum number of wet and dirty diapers a day that they were asking for too.

In those first weeks he would fall asleep nursing quickly so I was nearly constantly trying to stimulate him to keep him awake for the 20 or so minutes it took for him to get enough milk. I hadn't realized he was still extra sleepy until seeing the difference after he was on antibiotics for a couple days. He was and is now again only awake to nurse or while drinking a bottle.

Thank you all for your support!

Xty May 14th, 2008 09:08 AM

I'd have the doc look more into why he's only awake to eat then. That's strange that the antibiotics would make him more alert. I can't figure that one out! I agree it sounds like an infection from that description, but you say there is nothing else wrong - no other symptoms. So it's weird!
Have they ever looked at his heart? I know that babies that don't stay awake long enough to finish their bottle they sometimes look at the heart - they did for my DD (even though she DID stay awake after eating - but she wouldnt eat enough so they looked anyway (my hubby had a heart defect so they were extra vigilant due to that)). My infant nephew has trouble staying awake long enough to eat and sleeps a lot and he does have something wrong with his heart. So that's another thing to look into (sorry, not trying to scare you - I know the entire idea is scarey!). Not sure why antibiotics would help if that was the issue though.
- Xty

sarahbmeyer May 15th, 2008 01:59 PM

Thanks again for your input everyone!

We went in today for a blood draw and weight check. Corben's up to 8 lb 10 oz, so that's a gain of 4 oz in 9 days--not great but about his normal rate and I'm just relieved to see a gain instead of a loss. We should have the test results tomorrow--the dr ordered all sorts of tests, so hopefully we'll get some answers.

As for his heart, the dr hasn't ever noticed a murmur, but if we don't get answers from this blood work and/or get him gaining more soon I will push to get that more closely checked out.

sarahbmeyer May 19th, 2008 04:31 PM

Still waiting on some more test results, but so far the dr is thinking its Renal Tubular Acidosis which seems to be easily treatable. Hoping that we've found an answer and can get little Corben gaining soon!

Caeden'sMama May 19th, 2008 06:39 PM

Quote:

Still waiting on some more test results, but so far the dr is thinking its Renal Tubular Acidosis which seems to be easily treatable. Hoping that we've found an answer and can get little Corben gaining soon![/b]
That's what my son has... So if you have any questions about it or anything, let me know! I'd be glad to answer them... :)

sarahbmeyer May 20th, 2008 05:40 PM

Arrrggggg....the test results we got back today show it isn't Renal Tubular Acidosis. Every test run so far has come back normal. The ped has now been consulting with a pediatric gastroenterologist and we are to drop off stool samples in the morning.

Caeden'sMama May 21st, 2008 12:43 PM

Quote:

Arrrggggg....the test results we got back today show it isn't Renal Tubular Acidosis. Every test run so far has come back normal. The ped has now been consulting with a pediatric gastroenterologist and we are to drop off stool samples in the morning.[/b]
Oh man, how frustrating. :( I'm sorry. I hope you get some answers soon!

frgsonmysox May 21st, 2008 03:26 PM

I hope they figure out everything soon, hun.