JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   FTT and Weight Gain Issues (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f113-ftt-and-weight-gain-issues/)
-   -   Just found this board! Thank goodness (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f113-ftt-and-weight-gain-issues/1811581-just-found-board-thank-goodness.html)

*Leslie* December 20th, 2009 07:47 PM

Just found this board! Thank goodness

Hi girls!
I am so glad to have found this board, and hope to get to know you ladies. Here's what's been going on with us that led me to this board:
*DD #2 was born on November 12, 2 days before her due date.
*She weighed 8 lbs. 2 oz.
*When we left the hospital she weighed 7 lbs. 14 oz. (I was breastfeeding)
*At 5 days old she was back to her birthweight. (I began exclusively pumping because of latch issues)
* Day 9 I had developed a horrible case of mastitis and was so drugged up I barely remember. I have never experienced such excruciating pain in my life! My supply dried up and I began formula feeding
* At 2 weeks old she weighed 7 lbs. 7 oz. and the Dr. was concerned.
*At 4 weeks old she weighed 8 lbs.
* At 5 weeks old (this past Friday) she weighed in at 8 lbs. 5 oz. The doctors in the practice met and decided they wanted to monitor her in the hospital for 24 hours and do bloodwork and an EKG.
* EKG is fine and most of the bloodwork was as well.
*Her sed rate test was way out of the normal range. Normal is 20 and she was at 60. Also, the hospital scaled weighed her in at 8 lbs. 2 oz., and those were the ones she was weighed on at birth.

She is a VERY poor feeder. She acts sooo tired all the time. She can't make it through 2 oz. without falling asleep. We try everything to wake her, but she just won't. She lets the formula run out of her mouth frequently. She thrashes her head whenever she feels like she is done even if it after only an ounce.
They did change her to high calorie formula and over the course of 2 days she gained 6 oz. in the hospital. She seems to like this formula better as far as actually swallowing what she does take, but her eating habits are the same. She literally has to be forced to eat. We are repeating the bloodwork next week to see if her sed-rate is down.
Has anyone dealt with these poor feeding habits with no apparent cause (sed-rate is non-specific test)? Any ideas?

Again, I hope to get to know you all and your stories!

i3ai3ydanny December 21st, 2009 02:43 PM

Re: Just found this board! Thank goodness

If she is not eating well that can easily cause the poor/lack of weight gain. With further testing they can check on the high sed rate and possibly find a cause for her poor eating habits or another cause for the poor weight gain. A high ESR is not really an indicator for anything other than to check for something else. Until they verify the high sed rate and test for other things I would stick with the high calorie formula and feed her the 1 oz she will eat every hour if you can rotate with hubby and as often as you can if not.

*Leslie* December 21st, 2009 08:27 PM

Yeah, that's what we are doing, just feeding and feeding whenever she will eat. They ruled out about 90+ things with all the blood testing we did and are repeating the tests again. From what I can tell the sedrate could be high from something as simple as a viral infection, and she has been a bit stuffy and coughing some. Fingers crossed that she gains more weight this week.

lovemyboysandabbey2 December 22nd, 2009 06:26 PM

welcome!! I hope everything comes back fine and it's just she is a poor eater.
KUP!

i3ai3ydanny December 24th, 2009 12:53 PM

Ditto!