JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   FTT and Weight Gain Issues (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f113-ftt-and-weight-gain-issues/)
-   -   need some advice (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f113-ftt-and-weight-gain-issues/2247164-need-some-advice.html)

beccasmom7718 February 12th, 2011 03:41 PM

need some advice

hi
ive mostly been lurking but i need help

my youngest son(ive posted about him before on here) is 20months and weighed 21Ibs ... right now he is in the 23rd percentile for height and weight.
Now for the past 5days he has had the runs(he usually has the runs anyways because of allergies etc and has yet to have a solid bm) but we go thru atleast 10poops/day and he is refusing to eat anything.
He is super picky anyways and allergic to everything including dairy. but lately he wont eat anything except a small bowl of applesauce in the morning. He is on vitamins and hypo allergenic formula but he refuses to drink anymore then 1 bottle/day of formula.
I have been trying everything. I took him to the family dr here and she said its a bug he will get over it. BUT he is down to 19Ibs in 5days now , i can see every rib and his backbone. His clothes arnt fitting anymore.
My SO is thinking I should take him to the childrens hospital in the city.
So far my fam. dr and ped have refused to send him for allergy tests because he is too little. I fought them and he has an apt may 24. He has seen a dietician but she didnt help. Im at my witts end, he hardly plays anymore cuz it takes energy he doesnt have.

Any ideas?

i3ai3ydanny February 12th, 2011 06:13 PM

Re: need some advice

He needs to get into a GI ASAP. He isn't eating enough to get him energy and if that is the case and he won't change, he will likely need a feeding tube at least for a few days to get energy back in him. I know we had to add Kool-aid powder to Danny's Neocate so that he would drink it. He liked the flavor better that way. How often does he pee? Is the inside of his mouth wet, moist, tacky, or dry? If he is old enough, ask him to spit in your hand. If he can't do any of these then you need to take him into the hospital because he is dehydrated. I can't believe that is all he is eating and his doctors aren't concerned at all. Do you have to have a referral to get anywhere? I would call every GI that is within traveling distance and see which one has the soonest appointment. I would see if they could hold the appointment and then demand that your primary fax a referral or find a primary care that will. He needs to see someone and the way they aren't treating him is rediculous. If he eats like this everyday it is definitely not normal, but if he can't play because he has no energy and it has gone longer than three days I would take him in and if nothing else get a CBC to determine if it is bacterial or viral. Danny had usually 6-7 runny diapers everyday until he was 19 months old...we figured out he was allergic to soy...but anytime he got sick it automatically did the same thing....doubled. Thankfully he was a hearty eater and loved his formula, but if your LO is eating like that everyday, or even just a little more than that every day, he needs to see a GI. He isn't eating enough to grow, and you can't force him to eat. A GI, especially a ped GI, should understand that and be able to help him. ((((HUGS)))) I know this is really hard and I REALLY hope you get some answers soon. Your doctors seem absolutely ridiculous... :'(

daysfancarlymanning February 13th, 2011 12:47 PM

I agree. GI asap. I'm doing that with my dd. I'm so sorry you're going through this and I really hope you get some answers soon.

Ditzzy February 13th, 2011 02:49 PM

First, I'd take him to childrens to get some fluids asap. I'd ask for a GI referral from your ped. 23rd percentile isn't bad, so I don't think GI is needed as an emergency, but he needs to see one soon.

Has he had an endoscopy before? ((Hugs)) I hope he feels better.