JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   FTT and Weight Gain Issues (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f113-ftt-and-weight-gain-issues/)
-   -   Breastfeeding and Failure to thrive (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f113-ftt-and-weight-gain-issues/38370-breastfeeding-and-failure-to-thrive.html)

pattyandthemoos June 6th, 2005 05:47 PM

Just wondering how many moms that are dealing with FTT are also breastfeeding moms. I was wondering about your experience. Are you still able to breastfeed? How have your doctors treated you as far as breastfeeding goes? Are they supportive of you breastfeeding or do they pressure you to stop?

Motherbird June 8th, 2005 02:17 PM

My first baby, born 9 yrs ago, was dx'd with FTT. I was trying to exclusively breastfeed, but really didn't know much about it at the time and had no support whatsoever. I had no good books on the subject of bfing, no internet for info, and didn't know anyone else who breastfed. The one horrible book I did have told me I only needed to nurse every 3 hours for 15 min per side! This was backed up by my doctor and nurse until they finally told me that I had to stop bfing altogether and start giving him formula. I was so devastated, but I believed them. They told me my milk was the problem. Man, I wish I had known then what I know now. He was such a good, quiet, happy baby and just didn't complain about not getting fed enough so I thought every 3 hours was okay. Obviously it wasn't. I know so much more about it now and my 3rd child was exclusively breastfed and was pleasantly plump and healthy throughout.

pattyandthemoos June 8th, 2005 02:38 PM

Thanks for your input. I don't necessarily think your knowledge or lack of knowledge was the reason for the FTT. My first two kids breastfed really well. In fact, my first ds was such a good breastfeeder that he was always in the ninetieth percentile. My ds was my third and I knew lots about bfing. My supply problems were not because of me but because he has low muscle tone and dysphagia (meaning sucking/swallowing problems).

My doctors were really great about this as far as breastfeeding goes. None of them suggested formula they tried to get me a referral to a lactation consultant but of course my insurance company wouldn't cover it. I ended up seeing a lactation consultant for free at the hospital where my sister had her kids. They were the ones who told me I needed to start supplementing with formula asap. Not just one of them but several of them. I think that is why I do not think it was the wrong choice. I did everything I should do and my doctors were good about bfing. I don't know what I would do differently if I had to deal with it again. I think the only thing I would do differently now is that I wouldn't have felt guilty.