JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   FTT and Weight Gain Issues (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f113-ftt-and-weight-gain-issues/)
-   -   PediaSure or similar product?? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f113-ftt-and-weight-gain-issues/874588-pediasure-similar-product.html)

snowflake.girl January 7th, 2008 07:32 PM

Just wondering if any of your little ones are using PediaSure?
Is it used solely for their nutrition, or are you supplementing to build caloric intake?
Does your little one have any issues with it?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My daughter drinks 4 cans per day, but does not consume any solids at all. It does cause her extremely runny bowel movements and we are currently getting them tested.

Lisa N January 8th, 2008 06:49 AM

we sometimes use pedisure in place of milk (my son is 2 now) but i think some moms have used it as their main source of food. brandon has constipation issues but when i give him one can a day of pedisure he goes great without his meds. i think it would make for runny poo if he had more than that. i've told his doctors that it helps his constipation and they always seem amazed and *i think* don't quite believe me.

Xty January 8th, 2008 06:55 AM

How old is your daughter that she's drinking Pediasure instead of formula and not taking any solids? Is she too young for solids or is there some other reason she's not taking them?

We're using the Walgreens brand of Ensure for my 2 year old. He only likes the vanilla flavor and we have to mix it with milk or yogurt drink (Yo Baby bannana flavor). I've mixed it with half and half before too. He seems to like it, but he only gets one can a day, if that. He mostly eats solids. I looked at the Pediasure and it has less calories per volume than the Ensure, so that's why I went with Ensure. We're giving it to boost his calorie intake as he went down on the growth curve.
- Xty

snowflake.girl January 8th, 2008 08:38 AM

Quote:

How old is your daughter that she's drinking Pediasure instead of formula and not taking any solids? Is she too young for solids or is there some other reason she's not taking them?

We're using the Walgreens brand of Ensure for my 2 year old. He only likes the vanilla flavor and we have to mix it with milk or yogurt drink (Yo Baby bannana flavor). I've mixed it with half and half before too. He seems to like it, but he only gets one can a day, if that. He mostly eats solids. I looked at the Pediasure and it has less calories per volume than the Ensure, so that's why I went with Ensure. We're giving it to boost his calorie intake as he went down on the growth curve.
- Xty[/b]
She is 18 months old, and has a very strong oral defensiveness that came along with her genetic condition. I introduced solids to her when she was about 5 months old - she was eating rice cereal, carrots, sweet potatoes, squash, and we were just about to introduce some greens - and then she developed thrush.
Once she got the thrush, she developed the oral defensiveness - we thought it was something that would go away once the thrush was gone, but it just never did.

She has a problem with lactose, and so was on a lactose free formula until she was 15 months old - it wasn't enough for her and she stopped gaining weight between 12 and 15 months - she only gained 1.5lb; at that point she was diagnosed FTT and her pediatrician looked at our options. A dietician/nutritionist suggested that we try PediaSure.

Since October 1st, she has gained 3 pounds and her developmental skills have improved so much.

Caeden'sMama January 8th, 2008 06:15 PM

My son just recently started on Pediasure. We're using it as a supplement, since he refuses to drink cow's milk. So he's getting 2 bottles a day right now. He's been loving it, and it seems to be helping so far. It does constipate him though... Which i find interesting since you and Lisa have had the opposite effect! Lol.

AnnaBananasMom January 9th, 2008 11:57 AM

We use a generic form of Pediasure as a caloric/nutritional supplement since DD does not eat very much. We do one can a day. She used to struggle with constipation, but doesn't anymore. I never thought about the Pediasure having anything to do with it. Could be!

frgsonmysox January 10th, 2008 08:39 PM

We tried it, but I can't get Anastasia to drink it.

Caeden'sMama January 11th, 2008 05:06 PM

Quote:

We tried it, but I can't get Anastasia to drink it.[/b]
Hey Beth... Just thought i'd ask.. Will Anastacia drink anything? Or will she only drink breastmilk? Because we struggled with getting Caeden to drink cow's milk, which he never did, so i was expecting a fight with the pediasure. Luckily he took to it, but the WIC growth clinic people had given me some suggestions to try if he didn't. If you want, i can share some of what they suggested, depending on where Anastacia's at right now... Let me know!

frgsonmysox January 16th, 2008 02:29 PM

We really can't get her to drink anything. She'll have water occasionally, but thats it. She still mainly nurses for her liquids.

Caeden'sMama January 16th, 2008 07:48 PM

Quote:

We really can't get her to drink anything. She'll have water occasionally, but thats it. She still mainly nurses for her liquids.[/b]
Hmm... Have you tried changing the texture? Like making a "pediasure slushie" type of thing? That way it's not so much a liquid for her? Just a thought... Gotta be so difficult that she won't drink anything and just wants to nurse. Hugs to you!

frgsonmysox January 17th, 2008 07:58 AM

We've tried, it makes it worse if it's thick. She tends to choke, gag, and turn blue quite a bit :(

Caeden'sMama January 17th, 2008 05:44 PM

Quote:

We've tried, it makes it worse if it's thick. She tends to choke, gag, and turn blue quite a bit :([/b]
Oh man... :( I'm sorry. How frustrating! Guess i'm no help... Maybe eventually she'll grow to start taking in liquids. I hope so anyway. Good luck to you!

twingirls52905 January 25th, 2008 08:50 PM

We use Parent's Choice brand of PediaSure for extra caloric intake for one of my twin girls. We try to do one a day (in the evenings) when we give it to her. She likes the strawberry flavor. They were premature and Isabelle only weighed 2lbs 9oz at birth. She has always been ALOT smaller than normal and her sister. She is just over 2.5 years old now and is only 22-23 lbs. She just doesn't gain weight much at all.