JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   GER- Reflux (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f298-ger-reflux/)
-   -   Reglan (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f298-ger-reflux/2489040-reglan.html)

Julie929a February 13th, 2012 10:50 AM

Reglan

Has anyone tried regan with or without another medication? What were your experiences?

i3ai3ydanny February 13th, 2012 01:11 PM

Re: Reglan

I used it for morning sickness during pregnancy (hyperemisis gravidarium (sp?)). Neither I nor my son have ever used it for reflux but it did nothing for the HG...

~Meg June 19th, 2012 06:04 AM

While my son was in the hospital they put him on it and it was awful. He went from a calm baby to the hulk. He was angry and screamed non stop and wouldn't sleep. They tried to discharge us and I refused until they switched the meds. They thought I was nuts but it turned out it was the medicine.

~LaurenNoel~ October 15th, 2012 05:35 PM

I would avoid it if possible. It comes with some nasty side-effects. Our son had tremors. Safer drugs in that category for motility are Bethanechol and Eryped (erythromycin). I suggest trying those first.

Adventuremom October 17th, 2012 11:22 AM

Our son's ENT wanted us to try Reglan for his emptying problems and we declined - it has a black box warning from the FDA and isn't ever supposed to be used for more than 12 weeks.

Nolan had a Nissen fundoplication back in March (he is five years old with multiple health issues - undiagnosed as to the global cause). He is currently tube fed overnight and that has been working well for him, so we're staying with that. I know there are some families who are able to get domperidone from Canada, and it is a safer drug as it doesn't cross the blood-brain barrier.

pattyandthemoos February 28th, 2013 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megp (Post 26181805)
While my son was in the hospital they put him on it and it was awful. He went from a calm baby to the hulk. He was angry and screamed non stop and wouldn't sleep. They tried to discharge us and I refused until they switched the meds. They thought I was nuts but it turned out it was the medicine.

I hate this drug! I haven't used it for my kids but I have taken it myself before once and had a really awful reaction to it that I haven't forgotten. They gave it to me intravenously once at the hospital for a migraine. I really thought they might check me into their psych ward because I freaked out on it. Well, I didn't act crazy or anything but my heart felt like it was racing, I felt sweaty, and like I was going to die. It felt sort of like an anxiety attack but I felt this urge to move, like I couldn't sit in the hospital room any longer. From what I understand, all of that was a reaction to the medicine. I wouldn't give this to my kids because I would worry that they were having the kind of reaction I had and not have a way to tell me. It was a really scary/uncomfortable feeling.