JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Getting Ready for Baby (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1192-getting-ready-for-baby/)
-   -   for moms who use playards not cribs- what makes playards comfy?? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1192-getting-ready-for-baby/2315038-for-moms-who-use-playards-not-cribs-what-makes-playards-comfy.html)

abigailsmommi April 28th, 2011 07:36 PM

for moms who use playards not cribs- what makes playards comfy??

i am not using a crib with my daughter i did with my son and hated it
so im trying something new
anywho-

for moms who used a playard for their newborn and not a crib- what kind of blankets did you use? did you ad any padding to it? did you just have the newborn on the top part for the first few months and then allow him on the bottom/lower level? how did it actually work out for you?
do you think a playard is better than a crib? what about safety issues? have any??

i really honestly hate cribs- any help greatly appreciated
and safety tips as well as making it as comfortable as possible for my new baby girl:)

-thanks and god bless
-maria

way2gomom April 29th, 2011 05:07 AM

Re: for moms who use playards not cribs- what makes playards comfy??

I have no advice or safety tips for you. My son hated the play yard. We had a Pack 'n Play. We used a bassinet when he was a newborn and will for this one, too.

Quote:

Kathleen Alfano, Ph.D.
Director of Child Research at Fisher-Price®

It’s fine to have a child sleep in a play yard if it meets safety standards for such products. Play yards that comply with standards set by the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) are acceptable for sleeping.
Can Baby Sleep In Play Yard vs. Crib? - New Grandparents

I don't think you would want to add padding because that would no longer meet the standards. I've also heard that some play yards are easier for older ones to climb out of, but for a newborn that wouldn't be the case.

This site has safety recommendations: Play yards, play yard precautions

josephine.jones.9862 February 6th, 2014 03:10 AM

crib It is good for children to be independent.

Kinsma90 December 6th, 2014 03:49 AM

I know this is REALLY old, but in case anyone else with the same question comes by:

The only reason play yard mattresses aren't recommend is because a baby could potentially get their face between an ILL-FITTING mattress and the wall of the play yard and potentially suffocate.

I would bet a million dollars that more babies have suffocated in cribs with bumper pads than in play pens with mattresses THAT FIT.

I would never use the hard board the play pen comes with alone. No, I don't think they are better than a crib. They aren't made for full-time use and can cause flat head because there is so little padding. It would be like your baby sleeping in their car seat full time.

NO blankets or pillows or any padding or stuffed animals in any crib or play pen. Mattress and sheet ONLY.

Obviously people do it anyway and I'm sure most have no issues, but that doesn't mean the risk isn't there.