JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Getting Ready for Baby (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1192-getting-ready-for-baby/)
-   -   Are you ready for an imperfect birth? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1192-getting-ready-for-baby/2320873-you-ready-for-imperfect-birth.html)

way2gomom May 6th, 2011 04:23 AM

Are you ready for an imperfect birth?

Are you ready for a birth that doesn't match your perfect birth? In what ways do you plan to be ready in case something does go differently than you had planned?

Mischief Managed May 6th, 2011 11:21 AM

Re: Are you ready for an imperfect birth?

I don't even want to think about it! The only thing that could go wrong is me needing a csection or being induced. Either way the only thing I can do once that happens is literally have a csection or be induced LOL. Nothing I can do :(

way2gomom May 6th, 2011 12:15 PM

Our policy is to get as much information about our options as possible and to request a couple of moments by ourselves to weigh our options. We also have the support of our Bradley teacher - we know we can call her at any time to help think through options.

Birth is usually not cut and dry. You usually have decisions to make about options that are available - whether it's when to induce or by what means to induce or whether to try some other options before needing a c-section, there are a lot of times decisions that you have to make during birth that can change the outcome. That's why we've spent so much time preparing ourselves ahead of time for the possibilities. Now in an emergency situation, sometimes there is only one option, and we know what we would choose in an emergency.

w292737 May 6th, 2011 02:38 PM

well, to be honest. yes and no.

You are surprised with the Yes part aren't you.

With L I had it all planned out, got there and did almost nothing that I originally thought I would. with C, same thing.

Plus given that L came out blue and not breathing that threw me and then my bleeding. with C it was a LONG induction (to me it was long with some issues thrown in)

So I think I'm good at knowing it won't go as planned, but if something like a C - Seciton came up, no way I'd be prepared for that. at all

hkystar May 6th, 2011 05:01 PM

I like to think I have clauses in my plan to handle the unexpected. I have expressed my beliefs with my bf about if things arent going right, what I do want done. So I am trying to see all possible outcomes. I think this case is where bf will shine. He is VERY good at rolling with the punches and improvising to make the best of a situation.

Mana May 7th, 2011 05:51 AM

I think I'd be okay with a less than perfect birth. Until recently I was expecting that anyway, since with an OB I wouldn't have been able to deliver in a tub, and I figured I'd have to put up a bit of a fight over some of the things I do/do not want. So even though now I'm with a midwife and if everything goes well I should get the birth I want, I've already prepared myself for things not going exactly how I want them.

Although I am not ready for a C-section. Avoiding one was a huge part of my original motivation for a natural birth. But if that's how my baby ends up needing to come out, I'm okay with that, I'm just not ready for it x)