JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Getting Ready for Baby (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1192-getting-ready-for-baby/)
-   -   College Savings? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1192-getting-ready-for-baby/2366106-college-savings.html)

way2gomom July 6th, 2011 05:23 AM

College Savings?

Will you set up a college savings account for baby?

Mana July 6th, 2011 09:27 AM

Re: College Savings?

Yes! One of the reasons I didn't go to college right out of high school was because the idea having to pay for it all myself was just so overwhelming - even with financial aid and especially with loans, which my parents always complained about like student loans were the worst thing in the world and should be avoided at all costs. So I definitely want to start putting money away for Nova's education. College is ridiculously expensive, but I don't want that to affect her decision to go.

hkystar July 6th, 2011 09:37 AM

Yes... I have already started but it might get put on hold while we replace our savings post baby. I am firm on trying to help her go to college. My parents helped me and it made a difference for me.

I am saving for her to go to college... a wedding is a totally different story!

Just_Marie July 6th, 2011 11:15 AM

yes, we have education savings for all five kids in place

bajars2531 July 6th, 2011 02:51 PM

Yes, mainly because NO ONE helped me or educated me on student loans and now DH and I are drowning in them!! I don't ever want that for my children.

way2gomom July 7th, 2011 05:28 AM

My parents and Tim's are firm believers that the student should pay for college, and we feel similarly. But, we are saving money for both kids. What my dad did was teach me how to save and invest money (I didn't listen well, but now I remember the lessons and it helps!) and when I turned 18 the money I had saved and invested was mine to use however I wanted. Of course, I didn't use it well and I'm sure he was disappointed, but I lived and learned. We are doing something similar for our kids.

Maureen - I'm not hip on paying for a wedding either. We will pay for part of a wedding, but not the whole thing. That goes for all kids, boys and girls.

Mana July 7th, 2011 09:16 AM

I will be helping her with her education, but there's no way in hell I'm paying for a wedding :lol: If she wants to get married, she and her SO can pay for it themselves like me and her daddy had to :P

JessP July 7th, 2011 11:14 AM

We should but probably not. Bad mommy :(.

hkystar July 8th, 2011 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mana (Post 24317357)
I will be helping her with her education, but there's no way in hell I'm paying for a wedding :lol: If she wants to get married, she and her SO can pay for it themselves like me and her daddy had to :P

thats my opinion!

w292737 July 8th, 2011 11:56 AM

not exactly. I'll help pay for college, but I probably won't save up up front. :(

Sk8ermaiden July 14th, 2011 10:50 PM

Yes, we are slated to start her savings as well as her future sibling's in April of next year.

We will definitely set aside a small amount of money for a wedding. They can plan a very low-key wedding using just what we give, they can take it and add to it for a bigger wedding, or they can elope and use it towards a big goal like a house. It's up to them - boys or girls.

lrowe70 July 16th, 2011 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mana (Post 24317357)

Ditto, we'll pay for college but not for something I consider extra and un necessary such as a wedding.