JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Getting Ready for Baby (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1192-getting-ready-for-baby/)
-   -   Can You Recommend Books for Pregnancy and Raising an Infant? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1192-getting-ready-for-baby/2420086-can-you-recommend-books-for-pregnancy-and-raising-infant.html)

LittleRound September 24th, 2011 05:00 PM

Can You Recommend Books for Pregnancy and Raising an Infant?

Hi I am 7 weeks pregnant and looking for some good reading material about pregnancy and infant development. I want to give myself a crash course in everything important and when I search on google I feel like the books I get are the most popular ones but not necessarily the most informative. Thanks in advance!

LittleRound September 25th, 2011 01:19 AM

Re: Can You Recommend Books for Pregnancy and Raising an Infant?

I found the Mayo Clinic Guide. Any other suggestions?

LittleRound September 27th, 2011 01:06 AM

bump

LessthanThree September 27th, 2011 10:35 AM

You might get more help from your due date club (the clubs are further up on the main index).

way2gomom September 28th, 2011 05:06 PM

There's tons of information out there and a different book for every different mom, I think! I like Pregnancy and Childbirth by Sheila Kitzinger. I also really liked From the Hips: A Comprehensive, Open-Minded, Uncensored, Totally Honest Guide to Pregnancy, Birth and Becoming a Parent when I was a first time mom too.

hkystar November 3rd, 2011 12:29 PM

In terms of books we have really liked the What to expect series. We both read the pregancy book and the first year book. for immediate questions we also got baby 411 which has been really awesome too.

Flukie November 12th, 2011 08:25 AM

We received Your Baby and Child by Penelope Leach from friends and have really found it to be an easy, enjoyable read.

Dez November 15th, 2011 02:10 AM

The best one that I found was Expecting 411 and Baby 411 by Michele Hakakha and Ari Brown. The only one that is co-authored by an OBGYN AND pediatrician. It answers A LOT of questions.

americandreamer February 24th, 2012 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dez (Post 25190478)
The best one that I found was Expecting 411 and Baby 411 by Michele Hakakha and Ari Brown. The only one that is co-authored by an OBGYN AND pediatrician. It answers A LOT of questions.

Thank you! I'm buying these books for my girlfriend who is expecting :-) She has been freaking out and I think these will help ease her nerves. Thanks again!

tubyren July 30th, 2012 01:19 AM

Go to amazon.com. You can find different kinds of books to that site.

newmommysarah July 30th, 2012 02:39 AM

I'd recommend Gina Fords Contented Little Baby book - the woman is a genius! Its a strict routine to stick to in the beginning but when your child is 3 months old and sleeping from 11pm-7am you will want to hunt her down and marry her! She lays out a step by step guide for sleeping/feeding routines, there is another book on weaning, potty training and all things toddler related.

RoseRed92 August 14th, 2012 08:22 AM

I read "What to Expect When You're Expecting".

Right now, I'm reading through "Children are from Heaven" by the same author as "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus", and "The Worst-Case Survival Guide: Parenting" (a VERY funny read, with some good tips thrown in).

I didn't really find any infant development books, but I'm still looking around so I can get to them before my due date (September 4th)

SWFLbaby July 2nd, 2013 03:17 PM

I have a recommended books list on my blog - the books listed have all been the top recommended books by moms. There's also a recommended list of the top books to read to babies - you can find the link to the list on the home page: www.swflbaby.com Hope this helps!

stiletto_mom March 14th, 2014 10:12 PM

Bookmarking this thread!! =D