JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Getting Ready for Baby (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1192-getting-ready-for-baby/)
-   -   what to buy and what to get second hand? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1192-getting-ready-for-baby/2639947-what-to-buy-and-what-to-get-second-hand.html)

amandasegal April 2nd, 2013 02:01 PM

what to buy and what to get second hand?

hi all,
i was wondering - what do you think its impotent to have new and what can i take from family and friends?

Wanta.number2 April 9th, 2013 03:50 PM

Re: what to buy and what to get second hand?

swing- second hand, some babies love them, others hate them, plus they outgrow them fast! This also goes for things like jumperoos, walkers, bouncy chairs, etc.

Cribs- buy new! Older drop down cribs are not considered safe!

Changing table - buy gently used. There is a big chance you won't end up using this for too long, if at all.

Wipe warmer - waste of money for 9 of 10 moms.

Strollers- can buy used or get as a hand me down

carseat - buy NEW! Just because it has not been in accident does not make it safe. There could be hairline cracks you don't see and they do expire.

Memi April 9th, 2013 05:26 PM

I would only purchase a carseat and crib mattress new. Everything else can be bought used.

AndieP April 13th, 2013 05:25 AM

I would get a new crib. mattress and car seat (for the reasons outlined by Wanta.number2).

You need to ensure the crib you are getting is JPMA and ASTM certified. With a second hand one, there is always a slight risk

I think bouncers, changing tables (if not too worn), gliders/rocking chairs and strollers can be bought second hand if you are on a budget.

AndieP April 13th, 2013 05:25 AM

I would get a new crib. mattress and car seat (for the reasons outlined by Wanta.number2).

You need to ensure the crib you are getting is JPMA and ASTM certified. With a second hand one, there is always a slight risk

I think bouncers, changing tables (if not too worn), gliders/rocking chairs and strollers can be bought second hand if you are on a budget.

paula96 April 18th, 2013 07:42 AM

Yup, just like everyone above said, get new car seat and new crib.

We got a new swing, bassinet, feeding seat etc. But it is all going to another newborn in the family, so happy that baby things will be used further.

paula96 April 18th, 2013 07:42 AM

Yup, just like everyone above said, get new car seat and new crib.

We got a new swing, bassinet, feeding seat etc. But it is all going to another newborn in the family, so happy that baby things will be used further.

aya4320 December 11th, 2013 04:32 AM

Great idea! Thanks for sharing your thoughts. It's a great help!

neon December 19th, 2013 08:26 AM

I know this post is old, but I just wanted to echo: only buy carseat and crib new. Everything else can be bought gently used for so much cheaper!

childtocherish December 29th, 2013 05:56 AM

Yes I think that its not important to buy every thing new for a new born.But if you are using woolens then first you should wash them all with antiseptic.And one more thing that what ever you are buying from market any kind of clothes you should disinfect it.

KirstyB February 19th, 2014 01:20 PM

Carseat and mattress definitely buy new. All the rest will be fine being second hand.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Ace + using Forum Runner