JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Gifted and Talented Children (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f462-gifted-and-talented-children/)
-   -   OT (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f462-gifted-and-talented-children/2672564-ot.html)

mamato4andc August 15th, 2013 05:17 PM

OT

I don't know where else to ask. Anyone in here have a kid with speech problems? I'm trying to find something to help him that he'll enjoy doing.

BensMom August 15th, 2013 10:50 PM

Re: OT

Did you mean ST? OT is occupational therapy. It's for fine motor skills. PT is physical therapy for gross motor skills. ST is speech therapy. Speech therapists work with a number of issues from feeding, to sound formation, to social skills (like for autistic kids).

My older son has been in both PT and OT most of his life. We "see" ST at our office even though he doesn't use those services. I know the ladies, and I see the kids they work with. The kids have a lot of fun when they're there, and they really open up if they're shy, too.

Do you already know the root of the speech problems? If not, I'd call a pediatric therapy office and ask about getting an evaluation. Most insurance companies will cover the eval whether or not they cover the actual services afterward.

My2miracles August 19th, 2013 11:49 AM

hmm I read that as Off Topic. Funny how different perspectives are.

DS has minor speech issues & goes to speech therapy through the school.

BensMom August 19th, 2013 04:50 PM

:lol: Hadn't even thought of that!

My2miracles August 22nd, 2013 12:22 PM

And it didn't occur to me that it was meant for Occupational therapy :smile:

mamato4andc August 23rd, 2013 02:29 PM

Yeah, that was supposed to mean Off Topic.

He has been tested through the school. They didn't say why he has speech problems but a pediatrician said it doesn't look like he has any physical problems stopping him.

He was actually going to speech through the public school but they found out we are not in their school district and dropped him. :( The other schools are horrible so that's not an option. Do you know any websites that could help him?

Butter August 24th, 2013 06:06 AM

How old is he? Fritz was not understandable more than 75% of the time and did a few months of speech therapy when he was 5. We had to take him to a private place and pay for it ourselves because we were homeschooling and in MD they won't provide any services including ST unless you attend the public schools. I'm not sure it really did any good. What did help was reminding him to slow down and just practicing words with him. He's 7 now and easy to understand. He grew out of his speech issues.

mamato4andc August 26th, 2013 01:35 PM

He turned 4 the end of May. I've just been correcting everything he says wrong and doing flashcards with him. I have noticed improvements on some letters but j and g are really hard for him.

Butter August 28th, 2013 10:42 AM

It's very normal for a barely 4 year old to have trouble pronouncing several letters including j and g.

mamato4andc August 29th, 2013 11:12 AM

Even though his 21 month old sister is easier to understand?

Butter August 29th, 2013 01:11 PM

Yup. Kids develop speech at very different speeds and it doesn't matter if another kid is easier to understand as long as they are getting their sounds at the proper time (th is the last - and it is fine for a kid to mispronounce th until they turn 8!). My youngest was much easier to understand than his older brother for a while and Adrian had some sounds Fritz didn't, but even though Fritz had speech therapy, those missing sounds were not an issue because they were age appropriate (his problem was mostly trying to talk too fast).

mamato4andc August 31st, 2013 02:16 AM

Do you have any ideas on how to help him with those sounds? I was able to teach him t-h, c/k and g sounds if they're at the beginning of the word but still have to remind him to do it. He can't do any blends with r, he replaces them with l. A lot of times, nothing of what he says is understandable. My husband almost never knows what he is saying :((

Butter August 31st, 2013 08:21 AM

Just have him repeat words with those sounds, but realize that still may not work because they are still developmentally appropriate for him to not be able to say them clearly at his age. Sometimes reminding them to slow down helps in being understandable.