JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Graphic and Web Design (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f437-graphic-and-web-design/)
-   -   are you a hosting/domain reseller? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f437-graphic-and-web-design/642668-you-hosting-domain-reseller.html)

rabbitranch July 11th, 2007 08:26 AM

Just curious if anyone taps this avenue. I became a hosting and domain reseller about a year ago. I pay $19.95 a month for a chunk of space, and then can use it for as many domains as I want. I currently have 8 sites hosted on this space (plus my own) and charge $10/month to host. That's like a free $60 for me every month for doing almost nothing, plus it pays for my own site. I have the occasional hassle of dealing with the host company, but I don't mind that. I recommend anyone who's designing sites to go this route! It also means you don't have to hassle with any client's web host (and they're usually the lousy ones and since you aren't the site owner, they won't give you any customer service)

BTW, I use hostdime.com

quietsong July 11th, 2007 11:29 AM

I thought about it, but am not - I have a friend who owns a web host server, and she gives me space for both my personal and professional site for free. In return, rather than do it myself, I refer everyone I know to her hosting & domain business.

Kilikina July 11th, 2007 02:38 PM

Well I don't - my husband does. He works in computers and networks and such and has done this for years.

SarahLoo July 11th, 2007 06:20 PM

I've never even heard of this :confused: Can you tell I'm new to all of this? LOL

idachick July 11th, 2007 07:30 PM

Interesting...I had never considered doing this before (I just thought I would be especially well-rounded having to figure out how to work around in all the different hosting systems :P ). If you ever decided/wanted to, could you pay an additional amount for more space--like if you suddenly had an increased interest?

rabbitranch July 11th, 2007 08:40 PM

The way it works is (I'll use hostdime's process as an example since I'm familiar with it, ipowerweb.com is another good one!), you go and register as a web hosting reseller - anyone can do this. You don't need any sort of special equipment. You choose how much space you need - I have the $19.99 a month package and it gets me I think 5000 MB of space and 10,000 MB of bandwidth. I like hostdime because I set up a subscription payment through my PayPal account and never have to worry about it again. At any time I can select a bigger package with more space. So Now I have a chunk of server space that I can do anything with. I bought my personal website's domain name through hostdime and then got to sign up as a domain name reseller too (to register a domain costs me around $10/yr)

As I get new web clients in, I get their sites designed and then I go and purchase the domain in my name (unless they really want to do it). I then set up a hosting package through my reseller account; I set the size limits for the website and the contact info and such. It's really easy to do. I point the domain to my reseller package and voila, their site is up and running, totally under my control both physically and financially. The client can't take my site design and run off with it, never paying for it. The client can't access the control panel without me, can't mess with the graphics, and can't forget to pay their web host and leave me having to deal with some stupid customer service rep. The only thing the client has to worry about is paying me $10 every month (I offer hosting by the year or monthly with billing or PayPal subscription which does it automatically). It keeps the client from having to worry about dealing with big web corporations at all, and it's GREAT to be able to use my reseller control panel to toggle back and forth between accounts in seconds. My life has gotten so much easier doing my own hosting.

I estimate I could comfortably host 20 small websites from my one $20/month package!

Athey July 13th, 2007 04:38 PM

My DH and I have our own web server running at our house. We have ridiculously fast internet service (it better be, we pay through the teeth for it! <_< ) and all our own sites are running off it, as well as the sites of several friends / family members.

rabbitranch July 13th, 2007 08:34 PM

Yeah, I'd ultimately like to have our own server here. What stinks for us is we only have ONE 'choice' for broadband/hi-speed internet here - the company has a monopoly on our subdivision - and it is WAY too unreliable to try and use for hosting people's sites. I will be very happy when we have our own place (we currently rent) far away from here :P

sahaya August 23rd, 2011 08:47 PM

Re: are you a hosting/domain reseller?

thank you.. i am a reseller my self and this is where i got my reseller account. Go Resellers.com its good. it also provides desinging services for sites.

CeiCei August 24th, 2011 08:59 PM

Re: are you a hosting/domain reseller?

I have thought about it, but I found that for my customers it's best that that they select their own web host. Less headaches when it comes to server issues that might arise. I spend my 8-5 job dealing with web hosting stuff that it just doesn't make me want to do it when I freelance too.