JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Green Mommies (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f657-green-mommies/)
-   -   Grocery Shopping (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f657-green-mommies/2526129-grocery-shopping.html)

Earthy.Mama May 12th, 2012 06:11 AM

Grocery Shopping

Who takes their own bags to the grocery store?

roving_gypsy May 12th, 2012 11:10 PM

Re: Grocery Shopping

I have tons of bags that I try to always remember to take with me, but when I don't take them I typically get paper bags and reuse them for goodwill, picnics, recycling, arts and crafts, etc.

somo_chickenlady May 14th, 2012 01:06 AM

We do. I have a TON of Whole Foods bags, way more than we ever use, and we take them with us. They are nice also, b/c they are sort of insulated, and since we live so far out (1hr from our regular grocery store we shop at each week) they help keep our food cold on the way home.

Earthy.Mama May 16th, 2012 07:28 AM

I need to get some big bags. As of right now we use the plastic bags and I reuse them in the bathroom trash.

somo_chickenlady May 16th, 2012 10:51 AM

We get plastic bags every once in a while b/c we reuse them in the bathroom also, and we also use them for scooping the cat litter.

Carwen*Angel May 27th, 2012 11:23 AM

I do! All the supermarkets over here sell canvas or hessian bags now and most will give you "green points" on your loyalty card if you bring them when you shop. :)

roving_gypsy May 27th, 2012 12:18 PM

A lot of the stores here are giving you .05 (cent) a bag if you bring your own (cloth, canvas, or reusing paper)

2Corinthians10:4 June 8th, 2012 04:23 PM

I do, I really got into the habit of it when we were stationed in California. A lot of the stores and cities in California have put a ban on plastic bags (well not really a ban but you have to pay extra to get a paper or plastic bag at a store) though so it admittedly made the transition a lot easier.

Rinchan July 29th, 2012 09:46 PM

I finally bought three canvas bags. I've been meaning to buy resuable bags but I was never satisfied with the ones offered at the store. They felt like they would easily break. I am happy with the ones I got and have used them a few times :). Though today I didn't because my husband and I were coming back from the gym and we randomly decided that we needed to stop at the grocery <.< At least my grocery now has a system where you can return your plastic bags and they will reuse them.

gardenbelle July 30th, 2012 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roving_gypsy (Post 26025071)
I have tons of bags that I try to always remember to take with me, but when I don't take them I typically get paper bags and reuse them for goodwill, picnics, recycling, arts and crafts, etc.

Same here. :)

SWFLbaby June 22nd, 2013 07:30 PM

I bring my own bags, but when I forget, I get plastic and use them as garbage bags. Since we recycle a lot, I only fill up 1 bag with garbage a week - pretty good for a family of 4, I think :-)

Pretty Crispy July 1st, 2013 12:27 PM

We bring our own bags most of the time. When we do use plastic we reuse the bags for garbage liners and to clean the litter boxes with.

Bella Nyxe July 14th, 2013 04:29 PM

I usually bring my own. if not I get paper and reuse them. one of the stores that I shop at offer bags but you have to pay for them - although you can find boxes in the isles and use those for free.

iv heard that in texas they don't offer bags anymore except cloth bags that you can buy.