JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Hearing and Speech Impairments (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f761-hearing-and-speech-impairments/)
-   -   Siblings? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f761-hearing-and-speech-impairments/1247464-siblings.html)

jenniferleighxo September 23rd, 2008 06:55 AM

Do any of you feel since your child may be speech impaired that they have a harder time dealing with their siblings?

I don't know what sibling fighting is normal and what's not but Evan does loose his temper a lot with his younger sister. It could be here just taking his toys and he will flip out. But, also it's a lot of screaming and not saying "Sissy, give that back to me." I think speech plays such an important role in so much....*sigh*

fiefer87 September 23rd, 2008 10:24 AM

No siblings here, but it does affect the way she deals with other children her age. She doesn't inititate conversations, she doesn't respond if the talk to her, and she screams if they invade her space. So I defiantely agree, speech affects so much

jenniferleighxo September 23rd, 2008 11:46 AM

ok, glad i'm not the only one!

fiefer87 September 23rd, 2008 01:47 PM

Nope, we deal with that alot with Alexis. She has a very extensive vocabulary, but does not know how to really use it. So she can't answer questions, tell you what she did, what she's feeling, what's wrong. And it is really frustrating for all of us. We can't know what is wrong or what happened and she can't tell us other than screaming or some other equally frustrating thing as in walk away and don't try to tell mommy what she wants/needs/feels

HunterandLandonsmom September 25th, 2008 07:36 AM

Yes i think it does, but with all kids and even adults. We do understand most of what he says, but sometimes he just get so frustrated. He knows some signs, but not a ton. And i do agree that speech plays such a role in sooooooooo much. I think it has played a role in why Hunter is not potty trained. He can not tell me why he is freaking out or why he doesn't want to sit on the potty, etc...

fiefer87 September 25th, 2008 08:29 AM

Quote:

I think it has played a role in why Hunter is not potty trained. He can not tell me why he is freaking out or why he doesn't want to sit on the potty, etc...[/b]
I thikn that's part of my dd's problem as well. She's 6 (though also visually impaired and autistic on top of speech delayed) and not fully potty trained yet. She's great at home, hardly any accidents or with any potty she's peed on before. She is terrified of peeing on a new potty, but once she pees that first time on a new potty, she's fine, and she'll keep using it. We hadn't been to my aunt's house in like 3 months and I was visiting there with Alexis, and she had no problem with her bathroom. It's just that first pee in the potty? So how can she tell me what her problem is with the new bathrooms if she can't use her speech right?