JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Heated Debates (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f46-heated-debates/)
-   -   Marijuana makes me a better mom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f46-heated-debates/1897328-marijuana-makes-me-better-mom.html)

Chloe'sMommy March 4th, 2010 01:42 PM

Marijuana makes me a better mom

So I'm watching Tyra, and the episode is called, "Soccer Mom Stoners". There's 4 women saying that they are better moms to THEIR kids (they aren't saying they are better than OTHER moms) because they can still function while high, it helps to calm them, it helps to make them less frustrated, ect. One mother admits that she drives while high, and it's okay because she's 'not high enough to where she can't function'. All the mothers say they parent their children while high.

Do you think this is okay?

Earthy.Mama March 4th, 2010 01:43 PM

Re: Marijuana makes me a better mom

If you can't parent your children without being under the influence of drugs something is seriously wrong with you.

rachna March 4th, 2010 01:45 PM

Um. No. not okay.

blondie-lox March 4th, 2010 01:46 PM

Wow. I don't even know what to say about this.

*Jillian* March 4th, 2010 01:48 PM

Not okay! But plenty of people use perscription drugs so they can parent their children and function. Xanax for example...

KrazE March 4th, 2010 01:48 PM

Absolutely not ok. I'm sure most of us have parented their child(ren) without enough sleep, one eye half open and hair looking like a gaggle of geese nested in them over night, but we still function without being a whack of stoners.

zzz March 4th, 2010 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~*Sacred*~ (Post 19315276)
If you can't parent your children without being under the influence of drugs something is seriously wrong with you.

This.

Lisa

melkissa2004 March 4th, 2010 01:51 PM

No, I don't think it's okay. My #1 reason is because it's illegal. They are jeopardizing losing their children for a selfish habit that could land them in jail or get their kids taken away. I don't know enough about the repercussions of smoking weed to judge whether or not that part is okay, is it like smoking a cigarette or something? What affect does it have on their ability to drive or parent? I have no clue.
I drink wine once a week, sometimes twice and it definitely helps me relax. I drink a glass with dinner and once DD is in bed I might have a couple more glasses with DH. I wouldn't say the wine itself makes me a better parent, but the ability to sit down and relax with a glass of something I enjoy helps me keep my emotions in check the next day. I look forward to every Thursday evening because it's the 1 day a week I get to let loose and have a stay at home date night with DH. I don't know if that makes sense or not... but I'll try another example. When I get more than 6 hours of sleep, I am able to parent better the next day. If I only get 3-4 hours of sleep, it's difficult for me to keep my composure and stay patient with DD.

Chloe'sMommy March 4th, 2010 01:51 PM

One mother got her daughter (I want to say she's 17 or 18) a medical marijuana card after the daughter got in a car accident because she was getting nauseous from the other meds. The mother has a card too because she had (key word, had) cancer. She is cancer-free now and still uses the card.

Earthy.Mama March 4th, 2010 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by *Jillian* (Post 19315345)
Not okay! But plenty of people use perscription drugs so they can parent their children and function. Xanax for example...

:lol: I was waiting for someone to say this.

Prescription medication to maintain mental health is completely irrelevant.

I..(marijuana here)............................................. .................................................. .....(script)..I

me liketh my graph :lol:

*Jillian* March 4th, 2010 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~*Sacred*~ (Post 19315439)

I..(marijuana here)............................................. .................................................. .....(script)..I

okay. I was just sayin.

there are drugs to maintain mental health that cause drowsiness and other side effects that could impare you. That is all I meant.

I still don't agree with what this mom is doing.

KrazE March 4th, 2010 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~*Sacred*~ (Post 19315439)

Ohh that's a lovely graph, we should add pretty hearts & music notes too!

♪♫♥♫♪

Earthy.Mama March 4th, 2010 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by *Jillian* (Post 19315466)

there are drugs to maintain mental health that cause drowsiness and other side effects that could impare you. That is all I meant.

I still don't agree with what this mom is doing.

Yes, but they have to have those for their health. I see how you're comparing them, it just doesn't really fit.

My parents would smoke and drive when we were little - have I mentioned I don't associate w/ my parents for a number of reasons? :lol:

Lilmom March 4th, 2010 02:04 PM

Depends how high. One or two puffs? eh. Whatever. Baked? No no no.

That being said... I don't think it's any different from someone (like my MIL) who is on a ton of mind and mood altering perscription meds. Which is exactly why we don't like MIL watching her.

But I still don't think it's a good thing, I just think that some perscription meds or combination of perscription meds are as bad if not worse.

IAmMomMomIAm March 4th, 2010 02:06 PM

Some people feel that marijuana is "for their health." Just like some people are completely against anyone taking anti depressants.

I don't think saying that "if you can't parent your children without being under the influence of drugs there's something wrong with you" is especially fair. Technically, there is something wrong with PP moms too, but not in a bad way. If you can't parent without illegal drugs, that's different.

But no.. I don't think using drugs for any purpose other than medicinally is ever okay, kids or not.

Earthy.Mama March 4th, 2010 02:06 PM

Having to take prescription medication is a lot different than being lazy and not being able to handle being a mom and having to get high to do it.

Emm17 March 4th, 2010 02:10 PM

I believe there is some good medicinal uses for marijuana ( as a painkiller for one. )

I wouldn't think badly of someone who smoked a joint, on a night out with friends or hubby, just as I wouldn't think badly of someone who got buzzed on a couple screwdrivers while out for the night.

I dont think parents should be drinking OR smoking ( anything ) while parenting.

IAmMomMomIAm March 4th, 2010 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~*Sacred*~ (Post 19315614)
Having to take prescription medication is a lot different than being lazy and not being able to handle being a mom and having to get high to do it.

While I don't think smoking pot is okay, I think there are worse things a parent can do, in the grand scheme of things.

Earthy.Mama March 4th, 2010 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keskes (Post 19315703)
While I don't think smoking pot is okay, I think there are worse things a parent can do, in the grand scheme of things.

That doesn't even make sense.

So we should only hold the worst of the worst parents capable of their irresponsible actions?

*Jillian* March 4th, 2010 02:17 PM

I think people are clueless about the beneficial uses of marijuana. They think it is only used for getting stoned, while not looking for a job, and running over kids that ride their bikes in fast food parking lots.

I don't smoke weed. I don't take prescription drugs. I don't drink while I have to drive my son or without another adult around me. But marijuana isn't much different than any pharmaceutical anti-anxiety medication. This much I know.

I am not going to judge the mom that takes Xanax any differently than I would judge the mom that hits a joint here and there. Even though I don't require either.