JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Heated Debates (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f46-heated-debates/)
-   -   Can a Christian be a stripper? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f46-heated-debates/2460317-can-christian-stripper.html)

HappyHippy December 9th, 2011 07:40 PM

Can a Christian be a stripper?

Saw this conversation somewhere else. Can a Christian woman be a stripper?

And by *can* I don't mean legally or anything like that. But can she be one with Christian morals/views/beliefs/faith.

Quantum_Leap December 10th, 2011 04:37 AM

Re: Can a Christian be a stripper?

It is in no way my place to determine whether someone else is or isn't a Christian. I'm pretty sure Christ would agree with me.

K.A.T December 10th, 2011 05:15 AM

Personally, I wouldn't care. However, it would appear to be going against their core religious beliefs making them appear to be a hypocrite.

WineKeepsMeSane December 10th, 2011 07:08 AM

One must come to terms with their own beliefs of course, but it does make me raise an eyebrow.

suzanneyea December 10th, 2011 07:19 AM

I would not encourage it for anyone, but sometimes you have to do things to feed your family I guess.

mayandsofiasmommy December 10th, 2011 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quantum_Leap (Post 25311212)
It is in no way my place to determine whether someone else is or isn't a Christian. I'm pretty sure Christ would agree with me.

This. And I'm not even Christian :)

BittyBugsMama December 10th, 2011 08:40 AM

Can they be? yup. Does it make them a hypocrite? yup.

MrsLMB December 10th, 2011 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BittyBugsMama (Post 25311931)
Can they be? yup. Does it make them a hypocrite? yup.

I agree. But aren't the people that go to see them (Christians) just as hypocritical?

BittyBugsMama December 10th, 2011 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrsLMB (Post 25312126)
I agree. But aren't the people that go to see them (Christians) just as hypocritical?

Yup. I've come to the conclusion that most people are incapable of holding themselves to the standards that they hold everyone else to though so I doubt any of them think they are doing anything wrong or have justified it somehow in their minds to make it ok.

Poncho06 December 10th, 2011 10:14 AM

Only if they dance to Stryper.

Everyone interprets their religion in their own way. If they are fine with it then so be it. I don't really care or see them as any more hypocritical than the rest of the world.

AtomicMama December 10th, 2011 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quantum_Leap (Post 25311212)

This exactly. We are ALL sinners, and we are ALL equal at the foot of the cross.

Being a Christian does not require one to be perfect, far from it! It's a statement of belief that Jesus Christ saved us from our sins. ANYONE can be a Christian, strippers, prostitutes, murders, anyone. The inability to remove oneself from a certain lifestyle or making a poor choice doesn't mean a person is not a Christian or even that they are a bad Christian. It just means they have an area of their life that needs work. We ALL have these areas (Christian or not), some may just be less obvious to people on the outside.

As far as whether or not she is a hypocrite? Well, not necessarily. That entirely depends about how she acts, talks, believes about the entire situation and how she acts and what she expects of other people.

frgsonmysox December 10th, 2011 12:51 PM

Why is she a hypocrite?

Hey... Where's Perry? December 11th, 2011 07:22 AM

She can only be a stripper if she's dyslexic.

GSLynn December 11th, 2011 08:13 AM

Of course ANYONE who believes in Christ and believes He died for them as a way to atone for their sins, is a Christian. People tend to view Christians as perfect people who can do no wrong, but that's not true. You can believe in Christ and do a crap load wrong...It's a matter of people choosing to live a Christlike life, which let's be honest here, is VERY difficult!

Sometimes, people have bills to pay and get desperate. I can't imagine anyone actually falls into stripping because they felt like it. They probably got to a point of desperation and had no money or lost their money and decided this is the "only" way.

That said, I feel people need to be accountable for their own choices in life. If you choose to be a stripper because you feel there's no other way to pay your bills, you have to understand that this kind of behavior is against the teachings of Christ and try to do what you can to get out of that behavior and choose better next time.

Christians almost always fall off the "religious" wagon so to speak.

I'm a Christian myself and I can't explain a lot of things. I can't explain why I have made choices in my life that are not the best choices, especially when the consequences of these choices were not always good ones. But, I know and recognize those things. Not everyone does.

Now, what I"m speaking about is normal, everyday people. I cannot speak for drug addicts, rapists or murderers. I have no idea what they believe in or if it's real because I can't imagine that real Christians would actually do those things. Murderers and rapists never reap a benefit, not really because their crimes are illegal and eventually, they will get caught (even those who get paid to do a hit). Strippers reap a benefit of money to pay for their homes by doing a legal and acceptable activity.

That said, if society were not sex-crazed, maybe strip clubs wouldn't be so abundant and people wouldn't have the idea in their heads that stripping is a viable option.

MommaLexi December 11th, 2011 02:19 PM

Everyone sins. It's impossible to never sin in your life. Only Jesus himself has. Every sin is equal in God's eyes. The liar is just as guilty as the murderer. We may not think that is "right", but we have no right to judge any human for their actions, that is God's job. I've known 3 strippers in my life. 1 was a single Mom who had been raising her daughter alone from 3 months on. The only job that would support her and her daughter, while also allowing her to attend college to get her Master's degree to have a better life, was stripping. She finally got out of it when her daughter was 7 years old, shortly after graduating. She is and always has been an amazing Mother and person. She attended church the entire time she was a stripper, and still attends the same church to this day. God loves her just as much as He loves his own flesh and blood, Jesus. We are all His children, no matter our past or current struggles.

Leogirl December 15th, 2011 02:43 AM

As a former dancer I can honestly say yes. I worked with a ton of women from all walk of life. Christian, Satanist, college students, single moms, happily married women, divorced women, drug addicts, straight edges, and everyone in between. It's just a job and most people don't realize that.

beck12 December 27th, 2011 04:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frgsonmysox (Post 25312901)
Why is she a hypocrite?

It would depend Beth. If she was saying it is okay because of her situation then that might be hypocritical. It would be like you saying you are environmentally conscious & really believing that is important and telling others they should recycle, cloth diaper, use less paper, etc & THEN using sposies, lots of paper & tossing everything in the trash. It totally depends on the specific situation, the persons intent/actions & what they are doing to change it. I do tell people the reasons why they should recycle if it comes up, but I also do NOT profess to get it right all the time & I am working all the time to do better than I was doing last month or last year. I fully acknowledge that I fall off the wagon & I never try to represent it that I have it all worked out. If someone knows what the bible says regarding sexuality AND professes to be Christian while actively seeking to make money off arousing strangers, then they are potentially being hypocritical. It is one thing to make mistakes, it's another to purposefully walk into that same situation day after day. I generally would call ANYONE a hypocrite who professes or preaches one thing & lives a life completely differently from what they claim to believe. It makes no difference if it is a religious belief or not & it makes no difference if we are talking about sexuality & Christianity or "green" people driving huge SUVs.:rolleyes:

I also disagree that it is les hyposcritical from a religious standpoint when one is broke. If all bets ar eoff when you are broke, then what is the point in the firs tplace? Who needs a set of convenient beliefs that only apply when life goes well? It is easy to be kind & help others & feed the poor when you live in a great house with two cars, etc. The true measure of anyone's "faith" in anything is their willingness to stick to those beliefs even when it's not convenient, even when it means taking the hard road. I tease my sister who gives me grief about how I have a ton of recycling stacked everywhere. It is EASY for her. She lives where they have amazing curbside recycling. They come to her weekly & there is NO charge. She isn't even "big" on recycling, but it's easy & free, so she "might as well". I have a literal 4 hr window once a week & have to pay a small FEE to drop mine off with no option for even paid curbside pickup. So she has a house that is often clutter free & recycles a LOT. I have to try harder - it doesn't mean I should stop recycling & say *** it since it's a PITA. If it were her? She'd toss it in the trash because her BELIEF in recycling is not as deep as her need for tidiness - beyond that - she'd just toss it. She isn't a hypocrite - she's a fair-weather recycler. :)

Paisley December 28th, 2011 12:01 AM

I agree with the, 'it's just a job' statement. I'd love to hear some hardcore christians stance on this, I'm sure I already know what they're going to say but it would be interesting anyway.