JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Heated Debates (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f46-heated-debates/)
-   -   Fluroide in the water... (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f46-heated-debates/2597326-fluroide-water.html)

beck12 November 20th, 2012 01:41 AM

Fluroide in the water...

Little Evidence Fluoridation Reduces Tooth Decay - DentistryIQ

Quote:

NEW YORK, Oct. 2 /PRNewswire/ -- Consuming fluoridated water doesn't prevent cavities, according to a new U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) report, because fluoride is claimed to reduce tooth decay after, not before, teeth erupt. CDC's conclusion that "water fluoridation should be extended," is unsubstantiated by this report. In fact, CDC proves the opposite.
Quote:

More alarming are assurances that fluoridation is absolutely safe but the Environmental Protection Agency says fluoridation chemicals used by over 90% of fluoridating communities, silicofluorides, have never been tested for safety http://www.dartmouth.edu/~rmasters/letter.jpg).
"The switch to silicofluorides about 50 years ago (from sodium fluoride) may have been an enormous mistake," say Roger Masters (Dartmouth Professor and President, Foundation for Neuroscience & Society) and Myron Coplan (chemical engineer, Intellequity Consulting), who have published extensively on the effects of these chemicals.
Summarizing their work, Masters says, "where silicofluorides are in use, there are higher rates of behavioral problems that have been linked to lead toxicity (including hyperactivity and other learning disabilities, substance abuse, and violent crime)."
Impact of Fluoride on Neurological Development in Children - July 25, 2012 -Features - News at HSPH - Harvard School of Public Health

And this:

Quote:

In a meta-analysis, researchers from Harvard School of Public Health (HSPH) and China Medical University in Shenyang for the first time combined 27 studies and found strong indications that fluoride may adversely affect cognitive development in children. Based on the findings, the authors say that this risk should not be ignored, and that more research on fluoride’s impact on the developing brain is warranted.
Quote:

They then analyzed possible associations with IQ measures in more than 8,000 children of school age; all but one study suggested that high fluoride content in water may negatively affect cognitive development. The average loss in IQ was reported as a standardized weighted mean difference of 0.45, which would be approximately equivalent to seven IQ points for commonly used IQ scores with a standard deviation of 15.* Some studies suggested that even slightly increased fluoride exposure could be toxic to the brain. Thus, children in high-fluoride areas had significantly lower IQ scores than those who lived in low-fluoride areas.
Quote:

“Fluoride seems to fit in with lead, mercury, and other poisons that cause chemical brain drain,” Grandjean says. “The effect of each toxicant may seem small, but the combined damage on a population scale can be serious, especially because the brain power of the next generation is crucial to all of us.”

I have thought it ought to be stopped for a while now personally & am working on it locally here. What are your thoughts?

nyscof November 20th, 2012 03:43 AM

Re: Fluroide in the water...

'How Safe is Fluoride in Your Water?' ABC-TV investigative report uncovers evidence linking US studies to fluoride and health dangers aired 11/15/2012
I can't use links yet. So you will have to google this. It's the ABC-TV Durham, NC, affiliate

plan4fate November 25th, 2012 06:44 PM

I've been against it for along while. I still use fluoridated toothpaste, but I have no desire to drink it.

Fluffy Baby December 10th, 2012 10:13 AM

I am also against this and have been. I buy as much as I can without it, but it is everywhere and hard to avoid.

plan4fate December 11th, 2012 10:40 AM

I was reading something the other day (just in passing) and they say that since they started putting fluoride in stuff hypothyroidism cases have skyrocketed.

Now I wonder if I should look for another brand of toothpaste with out fluoride since my thyroid is already dying... I don't need to help it get there faster.

Frackel December 11th, 2012 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plan4fate (Post 26861756)
I was reading something the other day (just in passing) and they say that since they started putting fluoride in stuff hypothyroidism cases have skyrocketed.

Now I wonder if I should look for another brand of toothpaste with out fluoride since my thyroid is already dying... I don't need to help it get there faster.

We use Tom's of Maine, it's fluoride free.

I've never been fond of the fact that they put SO MUCH fluoride in the water. I understand why they thought it was needed. But I think they surpassed the level of "not bad" a long time ago.

Frozenoj December 12th, 2012 04:27 PM

I'll be honest, I haven't really looked into fluoride so I don't have any opinions for or against it. From those quotes there it seems it does more harm than good, but I'd have to look into it further.

Jlynn December 28th, 2012 11:16 PM

We stay far far away from it. We use Tom's too and we are lucky it isn't in our water.