JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Heated Debates (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f46-heated-debates/)
-   -   Reborn dolls, Cool/Creepy/thoughts? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f46-heated-debates/2613707-reborn-dolls-cool-creepy-thoughts.html)

MindyRambo January 11th, 2013 07:15 AM

Reborn dolls, Cool/Creepy/thoughts?

I did a quick search but find where this had been done before...

Have you ever seen a reborn doll? Do you think they are cool or creepy or a combination of both? They vary so much from artist to artist, but this is the most realistic I've ever seen. Scroll right down to see all the pics... Oh and you can't miss the price!

SELENA SAXTON resale REBORN DOLL GIRL NOAH by RevaSchick LAYAWAY AVAILABLE | eBay

Some people make these because they love the craft, and you can make money. Some people buy them and have whole nurseries for them, and actually push them around in strollers and change them multiple times a day. A bit strange...

My2miracles January 11th, 2013 10:49 AM

Re: Reborn dolls, Cool/Creepy/thoughts?

For an adult, I think it's creepy & really weird. That being said, my 10 year old has one. She likes fooling people. My dh actually got kudos for taking out the newborn & my dd while giving mommy rest :lol:

MzzMommaD January 11th, 2013 11:48 AM

Those are incredibly detailed! They look real! That said, they are a bit creepy

MindyRambo January 12th, 2013 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by My2miracles (Post 26961669)
For an adult, I think it's creepy & really weird. That being said, my 10 year old has one. She likes fooling people. My dh actually got kudos for taking out the newborn & my dd while giving mommy rest :lol:

If you don't mind me asking, was your daughters very expensive? I'm thinking about trying my hand at making them. Well, starting with one anyway, and seeing where it takes me. I'm always looking for new crafts. When I originally heard of these dolls, I thought it was a company that made them. I had no idea you could buy the "kits" and reborn the dolls yourself. Seems like they would be very fun to make.

Audrey's Aunt Amanda January 14th, 2013 09:34 AM

Julia, check out this ladies youtube channel. She post videos with step by step on making a reborn.

My2miracles January 14th, 2013 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindyRambo (Post 26964019)
If you don't mind me asking, was your daughters very expensive? I'm thinking about trying my hand at making them. Well, starting with one anyway, and seeing where it takes me. I'm always looking for new crafts. When I originally heard of these dolls, I thought it was a company that made them. I had no idea you could buy the "kits" and reborn the dolls yourself. Seems like they would be very fun to make.

I don't mind. Her newborn was $200. I've seen them run as high as $1,000. She wants a reborn toddler & they run from $650-$2,000. (I'm so not paying $2,000 for one :lol:)

Do a search on ebay & you'll see the ranges.

butterfly721 April 2nd, 2013 04:28 PM

I must admit that I have two reborn baby dolls and I love them. I have a boy and a girl. I got them off eBay. They are both by the same artist. DH says I cannot have any more for now because they were each quite expensive, although not quite so expensive as the link to the one you showed.

I do not change them or pretend to feed them or take them on outings in strollers. I do like to hold them and carry them around the house sometimes, though. I'm well aware of the fact that they are not real babies.

MindyRambo April 3rd, 2013 04:40 AM

Cool! I got one too, because I'm learning how to make them, and I figured I had to have one to see the details for myself. I don't do much with it either, it's mostly a conversation piece. Crappy picture, but this is mine.

http://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.just...ad4b973ddb.jpg

butterfly721 April 3rd, 2013 09:03 AM

Mindy, adorable! I will have to try to figure out how to post a picture of mine. I think that one of my favorite things about the reborn dolls is that they are weighted to feel like real babies. So when you hold them, they sort of do feel a bit real.

*Jennifer* April 3rd, 2013 02:41 PM

I need one so I can use the carpool lane when Billy isn't in the car with me!

MindyRambo April 4th, 2013 03:55 AM

Jen, that is exactly what my friend said. She wants to get a carseat so we can drive in the carpool lane lol. :)

*Jennifer* April 4th, 2013 10:01 AM

Since there is already a carseat in the car, I am 1/2 way there! Score!

*Leslie* April 13th, 2013 11:28 AM

I think they are pretty cool. I don't understand actually pretending they are real as adults, but having them as collectibles and showpieces I totally understand.

MindyRambo April 17th, 2013 08:01 AM

Hey Leslie! Long time no talk! I'm trying and failing miserably at keeping this board alive... So lonely around here... No one posts anymore!

JaeSung April 18th, 2013 12:50 PM

I bought one some years ago, just because it was cute. I don't carry it around or anything.
I don't remember it being called a baby reborn, though.

JaeSung April 18th, 2013 12:50 PM

I bought one some years ago, just because it was cute. I don't carry it around or anything.
I don't remember it being called a baby reborn, though.

mommy_to_nico April 18th, 2013 06:48 PM

i have 5 of them they are collectables to me, i dress them for pictures and do photo shoots with them, i have taken them in public to get reactions , they are cool

http://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.just...3904f4d470.jpg

http://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.just...c9607b1dde.jpg

MindyRambo April 22nd, 2013 06:13 AM

We all of them made by the same artists? Some of them don't look like reborns. Very cute :)

My2miracles April 23rd, 2013 10:44 AM

My dd just got her 2nd one. Her 1st one is a newborn & got some reactions. But this new 1 is 4-6 month old baby. Dang that thing looks real! We freaked out a woman at the Wendy's drive thru the other day. We didn't have the "baby" in a car seat & she started to freak out - then she realized it wasn't real :lol:

mommy_to_nico April 23rd, 2013 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindyRambo (Post 27304696)
We all of them made by the same artists? Some of them don't look like reborns. Very cute :)

2 are from paradise galleries oops forgot to mention that the boy and lil girl with blue eyes that on the shelf. no, i made one of the them and others were made by various artists in usa and UK.

Quote:

Originally Posted by My2miracles (Post 27308721)
My dd just got her 2nd one. Her 1st one is a newborn & got some reactions. But this new 1 is 4-6 month old baby. Dang that thing looks real! We freaked out a woman at the Wendy's drive thru the other day. We didn't have the "baby" in a car seat & she started to freak out - then she realized it wasn't real :lol:

i've taken mine out and they were impressed and wanted to hold them, but i don't let anyone b/c they are collectables.