JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   High Risk Pregnancy (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f106-high-risk-pregnancy/)
-   -   When did you see a heartbeat??? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f106-high-risk-pregnancy/20164-when-did-you-see-heartbeat.html)

Rina42308 March 19th, 2005 08:22 AM

Hi everyone...I just found this website today and was hoping to get some direction since it seems my Dr. isn't of much assistance. Monday I had an ultrsound and the Dr. told me for all intensive purposes to get ready to have a miscarriage because he did not see a heartbeat (he thinks I was 7 weeks along at that time because 2 weeks prior I had been in and the ultrasound machine said I was 5 weeks??)...I was devasted as you all can imagine but he sent me for some blood work and told me this would give us our answer. He said if my progesterone levels declined, even slightly, then I would have a m/c. Well I got the blood work done and 3 phone calls to his office the following day (because he promised to call and never did!!!) the RECEPTIONIST (I am so annoyed by him at this point) informed me that "things are fine". I can't help but be confused... Why would he tell me something so traumatic and then send his receptionist to tell me things are fine?? Anyway, was wondering, during which week did you all see a heartbeat? I don't go back to see him until Monday and I am still very anxious.
Thanks in advance for taking the time out to read this and reply.
Anxiously Awaiting Monday, :(
Norina

Natural Blessings March 19th, 2005 10:18 AM

If you had not had the USs how far along do YOU think you are?

Most women see a heartbeat between 6 & 7 weeks but US dating can be off. Your dr is an ##### for saying that to you. As for the progesterone he is wrong. A drop in progesterone does not indicate you will miscarry. If it is a continuous drop you *may* miscarry but it is not guaranteed. If your progesterone was to start dropping they can and should prescribe a progesterone supplement. A vaginal supposetory called Crinone is the best one. It does not show up in blood work, but it goes straight to the uterus where it is needed.

In my honest opinion, when you see your dr again demand another US. Find out whether he sees an egg sack and a fetal pole if there is no heartbeat. Then fire him and get a new dr.

*~Lissa~* March 19th, 2005 12:43 PM

Ok hun calm down first. And take a deep breath. If I was there I would THROTTLE your dr. First we didn't see my daughter's heartbeat untill 8 weeks. and I DID m/c her twin. My progesterone levels were on the low side and I DIDN'T Loose her.

I suggest you find another DR ASAP and DEMAND an U/S RIGHT away. One thing I need to tell you DON'T let them do a D&C WITHOUT another U/s! My friend had this done to her and it turns out her baby had been alive!

Selestial March 19th, 2005 05:05 PM

I agree with the other ladies that you need to find a new doctor. *hugs* and good luck

Rina42308 March 19th, 2005 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Alisteal@Mar 19 2005, 12:43 PM
Ok hun calm down first. And take a deep breath. If I was there I would THROTTLE your dr. First we didn't see my daughter's heartbeat untill 8 weeks. and I DID m/c her twin. My progesterone levels were on the low side and I DIDN'T Loose her.

* I suggest you find another DR ASAP and DEMAND an U/S RIGHT away. One thing I need to tell you DON'T let them do a D&C WITHOUT another U/s! My friend had this done to her and it turns out her baby had been alive!
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/quote]

I'm new to this board so not sure if I can send a general post or not to all of you wonderful women...so please know this is for all 3 of you who replied above...THANK YOU!! I had a feeling I came to the right message boad for some reassuring words :). As far as how far along I thought I was...really I'm not positive because being pregnant in the first place was such a surprise (my fiancee was told he couldn't have children...ha, now isn't that ironic, more dr.'s who were WRONG!! LOL!!:) But I very well may be a week or 2 sooner than the Dr. originally thought. We have plans to have another U/S done on Monday and even if that doesn't go as hoped, we'll get a second opinion before taking any drastic meausures i.e D&C since this current Dr. hasn't really earned our trust. And in the event all is well (as I pray every minute that they will be), I will be getting a new Dr. as you all suggested. Oh and by the way I have had absolutely NO miscarriage symptoms(no spotting, no cramping) but do have lots of pregnancy symtoms (nausea, metallic taste in my mouth, mood swings, extremely tired, and sore breasts).... Anymore thoughts on that?? Would love to hear your opinions.........
Thanks again, Norina

*~Lissa~* March 19th, 2005 06:49 PM

It's very likely you were just too early to see a hb. But good for you about getting your pg symptoms! That's VERY hopeful and good. I'm praying for you hun *hugs* :wub:

Margaret March 20th, 2005 07:05 AM

Hi Norina,

I didn't read all the responses, but I 2nd, 3rd and 4th you finding another doctor pronto.

* First, the lack of compassion and understanding is horrendous even if it were true there was a problem. Geez, how would he relay other potential problems?

* Second, 7 weeks is typically to early to determine anything (absent bleeding, severe cramping, medical history or other evidence of a problem).

* Finally, it is unethical for a doctor to discuss your medical history with a receptionist and for her to relay a message. (I'm not saying receptionists aren't privy to your records, but they are not supposed to be relaying medical information). If anything, that is a nurse's job.

I'm happy that everything is fine with your pregnancy. However, I imagine the stress of a thick-headed narcissist who is too busy to pick up the phone and comfort you after terrifying you is not good for you or your baby. I apologize if this is really mean, but I'm very angry this happened to you. I have no idea why doctors are the only people who are revered for being "special" when they have to have no real-life experience interacting with people before obtaining authority.

BTW, the answer to your original question is I could feel my baby's pulse at 10.5 weeks through my body (which is when I found out I was pregnant). I could see it and hear it at my first appointment at 12 weeks.

All the best to you,
Margaret

teacherinlove March 20th, 2005 11:40 AM

I didn't see a heartbeat till 2 months, they couldn't detect it the first month and told me not to worry and they would try the next appointment and if no show then they would do a ultrasound. We found a heartbeat.

It was my five month ultrasound where they found I had a shortened cervix. When I went to talk to the doctor about it she basicly told me to prepair myself for the baby to die because my cervix would only get shorter. There was no hope or positivity.

I changed my doctor instantly. After doing that my new doctor told me if I made it to 28 weeks ( I was at 21weeks) that there was a 85% survival rate. But other than that he was positive and very supportive of everything and told me not to worry that the baby would be fine.

I am about 25 weeks and my cervix is from 2.3 to 3.3 cm. So, I amhappy that I did not give up like the other doctor suggested I do..

GET ANOTHER DOCTOR!!

Rina42308 March 20th, 2005 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Margaret@Mar 20 2005, 07:05 AM
Hi Norina,

I didn't read all the responses, but I 2nd, 3rd and 4th you finding another doctor pronto.

* First, the lack of compassion and understanding is horrendous even if it were true there was a problem.* Geez, how would he relay other potential problems?

* Second, 7 weeks is typically to early to determine anything (absent bleeding, severe cramping, medical history or other evidence of a problem).

* Finally, it is unethical for a doctor to discuss your medical history with a receptionist and for her to relay a message. (I'm not saying receptionists aren't privy to your records, but they are not supposed to be relaying medical information). If anything, that is a nurse's job.

I'm happy that everything is fine with your pregnancy. However, I imagine the stress of a thick-headed narcissist who is too busy to pick up the phone and comfort you after terrifying you is not good for you or your baby. I apologize if this is really mean, but I'm very angry this happened to you. I have no idea why doctors are the only people who are revered for being "special" when they have to have no real-life experience interacting with people before obtaining authority.

BTW, the answer to your original question is I could feel my baby's pulse at 10.5 weeks through my body (which is when I found out I was pregnant). I could see it and hear it at my first appointment at 12 weeks.

All the best to you,
Margaret

[/quote]

Margaret,
I learned so much from your e-mail...thank you! I read it out loud to my fiancee and we wrote down your key points and are planning on disucssing this with the Dr. tomorrow....We feel it's important we tell him our feelings even though we ARE changing Dr.'s.
I will write an update to you all after we have the ultrasound...appt. is at 10:45 Pacific time, I'd love all of your positive energy right about then :)
Again, thank you....
Norina

Margaret March 20th, 2005 02:33 PM

Hi Norina!

I'm glad you have a plan of action for resolving this with your doctor. If you can stand just one more bit of advice, I would recommend you request your records and have them in hand just in case the meeting does not go as well as you would hope.

I am suggesting this based on my personal experience. I made the mistake of thinking my doctor was professional and tried to discuss my concerns politely; however, he did take it personally and made things very difficult for me. (He violated my confidentiality and gossiped about me with my employer and co-workers making life at work very difficult).

At first, he refused to give me my records. In some states, it is legal for them to charge a photocopying fee, so he said he would give me my records when the fee was paid upfront at $25.00 per page. Finally, I just asked for the most important documents to be sent to another doctor (no charge for that) and there was so much false information and half-truths in the pages they were useless. My situation took a turn for the worse and three other providers who were working with my doctor also refused to see me as a result of his tantrum. In retrospect, I learned quite a bit about human nature and protecting myself better. I am sure this is not the case with ALL doctors and I hope yours is a little more stable. However, I would encourage you to tie up any loose ends while things are still amicable.

Please keep us posted. I will be sending you tons of positive energy and well wishes for the very best outcome for you and your baby.

Best regards,
Margaret

Quote:

Margaret,
I learned so much from your e-mail...thank you! I read it out loud to my fiancee and we wrote down your key points and are planning on disucssing this with the Dr. tomorrow....We feel it's important we tell him our feelings even though we ARE changing Dr.'s.*
I will write an update to you all after we have the ultrasound...appt. is at 10:45 Pacific time, I'd love all of your positive energy right about then :)
Again, thank you....
Norina
[/b][/quote]

Natural Blessings March 20th, 2005 03:54 PM

Margaret I hope you reported that dr to the medical board, he should have his liscence revoked.

Ukmum March 20th, 2005 04:29 PM

I was 7wks when i first saw the heartbeat.

Margaret March 21st, 2005 01:51 AM

Hi Natural Blessings,

I did report him, but nothing happened. Unfortunately, the way the system is setup, patients have very few rights and recourse, in reality.

Thanks for asking,
Margaret

Quote:

Originally posted by Natural Blessings@Mar 20 2005, 06:54 PM
Margaret I hope you reported that dr to the medical board, he should have his liscence revoked.

[/quote]