JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   High Risk Pregnancy (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f106-high-risk-pregnancy/)
-   -   My trip to L&D last night (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f106-high-risk-pregnancy/2421592-my-trip-to-l-and-d-last-night.html)

Seattlite September 27th, 2011 09:20 AM

My trip to L&D last night

Yesterday I took a nap from about 11 until 2 and woke up contracting. DH went out to get lunch for me, and by the time he came back, I was having very painful contractions. I then went to pee and then DH called the doula. We timed the contractions and they were 2 to 5 minutes apart for about an hour and a half, and then I started to get queasy, which was the sign last time around that things were getting serious. So we called the doc and headed off to L&D.

We got settled into a room an hooked up to monitors. They monitored me for an hour or so, and then a doc came to check my cervix. I was at 2 cm and 30%, so the doc said it wasn't time to admit me yet. So we hung out waiting for discharge orders...and waited and waited. Then a nurse came in and said, "We saw some heart rate drops and we can't figure out if we are picking up your heart beat or if hers is dropping, so we are sending you down to ultrasound. And since it's been a while, we will check your cervix again when you get back."

So we went for a BPP, which she passed with flying colors, and they wheeled me back upstairs to l&D. A new doc was on duty by this time, and he checked my cervix and said it was still at 2. So, then they sent me home for real, and told me to come back when I couldn't talk through the contractions anymore.

DH and I got some drive thru on a the way home, and went to bed. By then it was like 10pm and I was sore and tired and still contracting. But I managed to get some sleep, with plenty of tossing and turning of course.

This morning I am still regularly contracting and they feel a bit more painful than yesterday. I can still talk through them but they are getting stronger. I think today could be the day we get admitted for real...will keep you posted! At this point I feel ready and no longer want to go overdue, because I am feeling plenty of pain now and want it to be done!

sarapepper September 27th, 2011 10:25 AM

Re: My trip to L&D last night

Good luck! I am sure it will go great!

OurSweetLabs September 27th, 2011 12:23 PM

Praying for you and sending lots of ELVs

emsketch September 27th, 2011 02:17 PM

How exciting!!! I hope this is it!

Wee3monkeys September 28th, 2011 07:24 AM

Oh Goodness!!!! Excited for you Beth!!! GL and sending lots and lots of ELV too!!!

:cheer:

Crystal_Lynn September 28th, 2011 06:57 PM

How exciting!!! Hopefully Miss Maggie is born tomorrow. She'd share a birthday with my Ari!!! :) Good luck momma, hope that her delivery is quick!

Seattlite September 29th, 2011 09:50 AM

Well, still pregnant. Lost my mucous plug Tueasday night, but contractions tapered off yesterday. Could just be this is going to drag on for a while, but I am emotionally spent and having PTSD issues, so I am officially on maternity leave now. Really hoping she comes over the weekend or early next week!

sarapepper September 29th, 2011 10:26 AM

They don't want to give you any Pitocin to speed things along?

raisininthesun September 29th, 2011 10:27 AM

COngrats on making it all the way to 38 weeks, and I hope she comes soon so you have your baby :)

Wee3monkeys September 29th, 2011 10:54 AM

Thinking of you Beth! :hug:

Seattlite September 30th, 2011 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarapepper (Post 24929422)
They don't want to give you any Pitocin to speed things along?

No, I'm only 38 weeks, they aren't interested in inducing me at this point. Just letting nature take its course. I go in this afternoon for a regularly scheduled doctor appointment, will see if anything is going on down there but I'm doubtful.

And of course, now my 4-year-old has developed a cough that keeps him up at night (but he is fine during the day when he's upright, go figure), so I'm actually kind of hoping I don't move along this weekend. I'd hate to inflict his coughing all night on my poor parents, who will be watching him while I'm at the hospital.

I guess it's probably a good sign emotion-wise that I'm now at a point where I can feel frustrated at the slow progress towards labor. I really expected that right up to the end I'd be scared of going too soon, given how terrified I've been of having another preemie...perhaps there is a little healing going on with this pregnancy after all?

sarapepper September 30th, 2011 02:14 PM

I always lose my mucous plug while I am contracting and my cervix is dialating but I do remember reading somewhere where sometimes it can happen days before baby is born....I have always had to have my water broken by the OB as well----they even did it with the twins (and they were early, but then I got a high fever so had to move things along....). I have also gotten Pitocin both times just to "speed things along" after natural labor started (with the twins I had the magnisium slufate and THEN Pitocin--boy, was my body confused :rolleyes:)

I hope your son feels better soon! And 38 weeks is great!!!! Big babies are so much easier to take care of (in my experience anyway).