JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   High Risk Pregnancy (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f106-high-risk-pregnancy/)
-   -   What makes you high-risk? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f106-high-risk-pregnancy/2477704-what-makes-you-high-risk.html)

Seattlite January 19th, 2012 10:57 AM

What makes you high-risk?

Tell us what makes/made your pregnancy high-risk.

I had a premature preterm rupture of membranes in my first pregnancy, so my son was born at 27 weeks.

Dee Darling 3 January 19th, 2012 12:48 PM

Re: What makes you high-risk?

not currently pregnant, but for sake of conversation....

I have a history of miscarriages, Preterm labor w/ DS at 32 weeks, born at 35.5 weeks
With DD#2, irritable uterus, PTL starting at 25 weeks, and IUGR. Oh wait, can't forget my age too.

tulipmomma January 19th, 2012 02:21 PM

I will be high risk if we choose to have a third child. My daughter was born at 37 weeks...no big deal. Went into preterm labor with my son at 31 weeks, and water broke at 36....then I got a DVT in my leg, so if we went through with a third I'd be at risk for early labor, and also would have to be on Lovenox. I honestly don't know if I have the courage to do it again, but I always pictured us with three or four kids.

liza17 January 20th, 2012 06:58 PM

I have had type 1 diabetes since age 5. My pregnancy will be closly monitored with weekly ultrasounds starting at 32weeks to see if the baby is getting to big. My second pregnancy ended in stillbirth at 37 weeks and baby weighed 11.2 lbs.

emsketch January 20th, 2012 07:02 PM

I have Factor V Leiden and a history of DVT and PE. I also had pre-e with both pregnancies and a hitory of miscarriage. I will not be having any more children, but I love this board and can't leave it!

Sam914 January 22nd, 2012 03:35 PM

I am TTC right now so i thought i would chime in. I will be high risk because i have a divided uterus (two half size uterses instead of one big one). My now 2 year old son was born at 25 weeks because of this issue (that i did not know i had until he was born)

chen75 January 22nd, 2012 06:01 PM

I guess what makes you high-risk is when you had complications in your previous pregnancy, or has a pre-existing medical condition. For me, I had pre-eclampsia with my first pregnancy, which my son was delivered via c-section at 28wks.

CassieR70 January 22nd, 2012 07:52 PM

I have 3 issues that combined make me a higher risk:

1) 41 years old
2) My A1C level at 9 weeks was 6 (monitoring blood sugar daily and all is great)
3) I have Factor V and will be starting Lovenox this week. My sister has DVT & Pulminary blood clots, so we are being extra careful

We are inducing at 39 weeks because my doctor is worried something might happen in that last week. So far though the pregnancy has been going great with my weight, BP and baby all doing really well.

Seattlite January 23rd, 2012 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emsketch (Post 25499975)
I will not be having any more children, but I love this board and can't leave it!

:ditto: :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam914 (Post 25506039)
I am TTC right now so i thought i would chime in. I will be high risk because i have a divided uterus (two half size uterses instead of one big one). My now 2 year old son was born at 25 weeks because of this issue (that i did not know i had until he was born)

Sam, did they do surgery on your uterus? I know one of our preemies/NICU moms (Chelsea) had the surgery done, but ended up having another preemie anyway because it turned out she had an incompetent cervix too. These bodies of ours...

Sam914 January 23rd, 2012 02:38 PM

no beth mines not the kind that is able to be fixed :(

Seattlite January 23rd, 2012 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam914 (Post 25511061)
no beth mines not the kind that is able to be fixed :(

That stinks. Have they told you what to expect in terms of what care you would get in your next pregnancy?

Jessido January 23rd, 2012 03:06 PM

Hi ladies! Hoping to become more active on this board. I'm high risk due to 18wk loss due to incompetent cervix. Currently at risk for PTL and having on again off again funneling.

AmyLM January 24th, 2012 06:01 AM

I'm not pregnant right now but will be TTC again in the next couple of months! (Yes, I JUST had a baby! lol)

I'm high risk because of Factor V Leiden with a history of DVT and PE. I have hypothyroid, have had gastric bypass and I'm 36 years old. There's probably more but, that's enough!

NewMama22 January 26th, 2012 06:18 AM

I have Factor V as well, inherited it from my mother who has 2 strands of it and had a blood clot during one of her pregnancies. She was put on bed rest for the remaining of it. i found out a couple years ago that I have 1 strand.

CassieR70 January 26th, 2012 10:08 AM

I have been surprised at how many of us have the Factor V issue (1 gene). I'm getting ready to start my lovenox.

My brother and sister have the Factor V as well as Prothrombin Gene Mutation (Hereditary Thrombotic Predisposition), which has been a real problem for my sister, but my brother hasn't had any issues yet.

Has anyone else been told that they will be switched to Cumadin after the birth of the baby for 6 weeks? Do you know if it will prevent you from BF? I'm guessing it will because if you can't take it during pregnancy, it seems it would be in the breastmilk??

AmyLM January 26th, 2012 02:01 PM

Cassie, I take coumadin when I'm not pregnant and breastfeed while on it. It doesn't go into the breastmilk. I'm not sure why it doesn't enter it but, it doesn't.

ambee February 10th, 2012 01:19 PM

I will be TTC next month, so I'm back to check the board out. :)

I was high risk in my last pregnancy due to 2 early losses and a 16 week loss. I was also found to have an issue with the lupus anticoagulant. (I had a crap hospital who couldn't make up their minds what this meant for me. Dumb Army hospitals.)

I will be high risk next time due to the fact that I developed pre-e starting at 28 weeks. My daughter was born at 34 weeks. Also had PROM. It should be an interesting ride...

bookworm16_2000 February 10th, 2012 05:01 PM

I am high risk because of rheumatoid arthritis. It can cause IUGR and placenta problems but I didn't have problems with my DD and haven't had any problems (yet) with my DS.

sjkduke February 10th, 2012 07:40 PM

Hi there! I'm new here. Just tested today and found out we're expecting our third. I am high risk this time around thanks to massive multiple pulmonary embolisms that I was hospitalized with in August. I just did my testing this week for gene mutations--was told it would take 2 weeks to get those back.

In the meantime, I'm waiting for the switch to Lovenox. I'm not even 4 weeks pregnant yet, so I think as long as I get started by Monday, I'll be ok.

Looking forward to getting to know you all! I'm a wound up mess about this pregnancy, just because of the risk factors/health issues. I had never had any clotting problems before August.

Kansascity kitty February 12th, 2012 12:28 PM

Hello ladies, I plan on becoming more active during this pregnancy. I have a PROM baby born at 32 weeks, and an irritable uterus. I am normally placed on bed rest around 16 weeks since preterm labor becomes an issue around 20 weeks. Last pregnancy I had P-17 shots once per week starting at 16 weeks ended at 35 weeks. I will be having the weekly shots again this time around. On top of all of this had the surprise of being told this is a twin pregnancy, I go back for U/S V day to see if the other twins heartbeat can be detected. One heartbeat was detected this past Monday, still just a yolk sac for the other bub. Also had a nurse come once per week to check me out since I was on pump at home with Terb.