JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   High Risk Pregnancy (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f106-high-risk-pregnancy/)
-   -   Twin pregnancy U/S 6 weeks - no yolks or fetal poles. (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f106-high-risk-pregnancy/2641961-twin-pregnancy-u-s-6-weeks-no-yolks-fetal-poles.html)

melissaabb April 9th, 2013 03:36 PM

Twin pregnancy U/S 6 weeks - no yolks or fetal poles.

I hope this is the right place to post. It might be easier if I just write down what my paper here says..

"There is one sac with a mean sac diameter of 1.3 cm and one sac with mean sac diameter of 1.0 cm, approximate gestational age 6 weeks. Neither sac contains a yolk sac or fetal pole. There is small cystic focus measuring 0.5 cm which represents a small bleed although conceivably could represent a third gestational sac, disproportionate in size. There is a large subchorionic bleed measuring 5.5 x 4.1 by 2.0 cm.

Summary:
Twin pregnancy with the possibility of a third small gestational sac. No fetal poles are identified although this is not abnormal given the early gestational age. Nonetheless, no yolk sacs are visible and this does raise concern for viability. There is a large subchorionic bleed."

I am looking for some thoughts on this? Am I experiencing a blighted ovum? Well two or three? Or could there be a chance (please!!) that this will be a successful twin pregnancy?
I go in tomorrow to have my hcg levels checked again, but I heard that they will still rise if it's a blighted ovum. And then another ultrasound on monday. But waiting sucks!

KMH April 9th, 2013 07:36 PM

Re: Twin pregnancy U/S 6 weeks - no yolks or fetal poles.

I know this is not what you want to hear, but there's probably no way to tell right now. These early ultrasounds are notorious for being off, and every baby develops slightly differently. The HCG levels can be helpful, but yes...it could still be a blighted ovum even if they are rising appropriately.

Both of my pregnancies began with funky HCG levels and/or ultrasounds that led my docs to tell me that my pregnancy was either not viable or a threatened miscarriage...they both turned out fine. A lot of times twins will start out behind and then catch up!

Is this a natural multiple pregnancy, or were you doing fertility treatments? Do you know exactly how far along you are?

Wanta.number2 April 9th, 2013 08:38 PM

When monitoring pregnancies this early in gestation, I can't stress enough that every day counts. Just because they can't see anything today does not mean they won't see anything tomorrow or the next day. I hope everything goes great on Monday!!!

Dee Darling 3 April 10th, 2013 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wanta.number2 (Post 27272871)
When monitoring pregnancies this early in gestation, I can't stress enough that every day counts. Just because they can't see anything today does not mean they won't see anything tomorrow or the next day. I hope everything goes great on Monday!!!

This is very true! Don't start thinking blighted ovum just yet - it's really too early to know.

melissaabb April 10th, 2013 09:38 AM

Thank you everyone. I am trying to keep positive! According to my last missed period I should be 7 weeks. So it's only one week off. And this was a natural pregnancy, I was not trying to conceive at the time.