JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   High Risk Pregnancy (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f106-high-risk-pregnancy/)
-   -   Extremely low HCG levels (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f106-high-risk-pregnancy/2693688-extremely-low-hcg-levels.html)

Crystal Lynn November 20th, 2013 07:20 PM

Extremely low HCG levels

Hi ladies,

I am hoping someone can give me some insight or share their experience if they dealt with low HCG levels in early pregnancy. I just found out last friday that I am pregnant. I have a blood clotting disorder called anti-thrombin III deficiency, had a mc a little over a year ago (9 weeks along) and recently diagnosed with PCOS also. I have been taking Lovenox since the start of my last pregnancy and continued while ttc due to my high risk for mc (so I've been on it for well over a year now). Finally, after a very long stressful year of struggles after my mc, we finally got pregnant again! However, I had my beta HCG done friday, the same day I got a positive on a FRER and my level was only a 7!! The RN at my RE's office told me that I should expect to bleed over the weekend and basically told me I will be miscarrying again. I had 2 meltdowns through the weekend, but no bleeding, nothing...just more pg symptoms. They did another beta that following monday and it was 20. Still EXTREMELY low, but I couldn't help but have some hope since it did nearly triple... but the number itself is still so low, I'm trying to not get my hopes up too much. Now, 2 days later we checked it again today and it was 32. It didn't even double, but the good news is that it still went up and didn't plateau or drop down. Its like its going up just enough to give me a tiny bit of hope but not enough to make any sort of difference. Has anyone experienced anything like this? I mean, I've read how people with numbers in the 80's and low 100's are worried about their numbers being low... and this isn't even close to levels like that. Should I keep any hope at all at this point? I don't want to stress because I know it will just make matters worse. But it's hard not to, and I can't help but worry. I know all I can do is take things one day at a time, and I assume I will be re-checking my level again friday. But if anyone has any info about this, or even better... some sort of good news or happy endings with numbers like this, please share! I could really use some encouragement right now and a little hope & even some finger crossing. But even if you have bad news regarding this, I still want to hear that too. I really want to understand this the best I can and know what my odds could possibly be at this point (no sugar coating necessary). By the way, I believe I should be about 5 weeks and 1 or 2 days.

Thanks so much for listening...

Crystal

momof8lopez November 20th, 2013 08:24 PM

Re: Extremely low HCG levels

Im sorry for all your worry. I don't have a personal story that ended in positive outcome with beta's like that, but I have heard and seen on these boards positive outcomes with betas like yours. Sometimes, the baby has issues "implanting", and the process is "slower" than normal. However, when it finally does complete the process, the hcg sky rockets, like it should. This is why they will keep a keen eye on you over the next couple weeks to see where this all go's. The biggest worry with slow rising betas is ectopic unfortunately, so make sure they draw your betas every couple of days to make sure. Lots of luck and prayers coming your way.

Boos Moo November 21st, 2013 07:08 AM

Hugs. No personal experience with that here as I've never had my numbers tested. But I've read basically the same type of posts as Lori mentioned. So keep testing every couple of days and good luck.

KMH November 21st, 2013 10:35 AM

Lori already gave great advice. Just make sure they keep an eye on you, and if you have pain, let your doctor know right away.

With pregnancy #1, my first beta was 11.8. Two days later my beta was 12.4. I was told the same thing as you...go home and wait for the bleeding to start. It never did, and the following Monday my beta was 95. My "non-viable" pregnancy is now 3 years old; I hope your low beta story has a happy ending as well!

rebeccabaltimore and more November 24th, 2013 07:30 AM

I'm not a good reference, because my pregnancy started out as triplets, but I can say that my HCG did NOT reflect that. It was low enough that they thought there was just one baby in there, but there were three! I also had an experience where for all intents and purposes, it looked like all three babies were blighted ovums. The doctor didn't give us much hope. A week later, there were three babies where there had been none the week before. The doctor was stunned and said it was a miracle. So don't count yourself out. You can definitely rule out multiples as well as the condition molar pregnancy. I would just say to take heart in that fact that your HCG is climbing.