JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   High Risk Pregnancy (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f106-high-risk-pregnancy/)
-   -   Things can't get worse (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f106-high-risk-pregnancy/612527-things-can-t-get-worse.html)

rlcoburn June 16th, 2007 07:39 PM

I've been on bed rest for 4 weeks, maybe more, for a retroplacental clot and partial placental abruption. I thought that was enough to worry about with a 50/50 chance of survival. I am now 18 weeks and got my quad screen back earlier this week. Life has been a blur ever since. All along in my pregnancy, I was told the test would come back with a false positive for Down's syndome. When the results came back they shocked everyone, even my dr. It said that my risk for Downs' was 1:3600, which is great, but the risk of the baby having Trisomy 18 was 1:10. I am 26 years old!!! How can this be?? We went for an amnio on friday and it just got worse. There was an alarming lack of fluid which no one could figure out why until they drew it and it came out mud colored and thick with my blood. The baby also seems to have a large cyst in its brain (consistent with T18) and also a white spot in its heart (also consistent with Trisomies). I have another level II scheduled for Monday to confirm more physical anomolies, but i am not sure how much more I can handle. This is my fourth pregnancy, and I have no children. This baby is a dream come true for us and now it is taken away. The children can not live. Just the discolored anmiotic fluid spells early fetal demise, let alone the placental abruption and then the lethal diagnosis of T18. I am overwhelmed. I had a PET/CT scan a few weeks before we conceived and am afraid that radiation may have caused the problem with meiosis. Now its hard to not blame myself. Why didn't we wait? I dont know what to think or do.

klfc28 June 16th, 2007 09:47 PM

Quote:

I've been on bed rest for 4 weeks, maybe more, for a retroplacental clot and partial placental abruption. I thought that was enough to worry about with a 50/50 chance of survival. I am now 18 weeks and got my quad screen back earlier this week. Life has been a blur ever since. All along in my pregnancy, I was told the test would come back with a false positive for Down's syndome. When the results came back they shocked everyone, even my dr. It said that my risk for Downs' was 1:3600, which is great, but the risk of the baby having Trisomy 18 was 1:10. I am 26 years old!!! How can this be?? We went for an amnio on friday and it just got worse. There was an alarming lack of fluid which no one could figure out why until they drew it and it came out mud colored and thick with my blood. The baby also seems to have a large cyst in its brain (consistent with T18) and also a white spot in its heart (also consistent with Trisomies). I have another level II scheduled for Monday to confirm more physical anomolies, but i am not sure how much more I can handle. This is my fourth pregnancy, and I have no children. This baby is a dream come true for us and now it is taken away. The children can not live. Just the discolored anmiotic fluid spells early fetal demise, let alone the placental abruption and then the lethal diagnosis of T18. I am overwhelmed. I had a PET/CT scan a few weeks before we conceived and am afraid that radiation may have caused the problem with meiosis. Now its hard to not blame myself. Why didn't we wait? I dont know what to think or do.[/b]
My goodness Rachel. I am so so sorry you are going through all this!! That truely is a rough place to be in. I wish I could give you encouraging words or something, but what could I possibly say? I'm sure the PET/CT really didn't have anything to do with all this and its just a sad occurance. May I ask what happened in your past pregnancies? Were they early miscarriages?

you are still very young. No matter what happens, please don't give up all hope. I truely hope something turns around for the better soon for you and this little one. I am wishing you loads of luck and well wishes. Always here to chat when you need it.

further June 16th, 2007 10:38 PM

Rachael,

my heart is breaking right now. I was REALLY REALLY rooting for you and the baby, my dear. I don't know you well but you've been in my thoughts and I was hoping that things would work out. you've been through so much already. there's nothing I can say to make you feel better but know that I am thinking of you and that you are such a strong woman for all life has handed to you. I wish you nothing but peace in the future. I'm here if you ever need to talk

further June 16th, 2007 10:44 PM

Quote:

Rachael,

my heart is breaking right now. I was REALLY REALLY rooting for you and the baby, my dear. I don't know you well but you've been in my thoughts and I was hoping that things would work out. you've been through so much already. there's nothing I can say to make you feel better but know that I am thinking of you and that you are such a strong woman for all life has handed to you. I wish you nothing but peace in the future. I'm here if you ever need to talk[/b]

OneHappyMama June 17th, 2007 04:10 AM

I am so sorry this is happening...I have no idea what to say, but I do wish you the best of luck and hopefully your luck will turn around for you soon.

Cindermella June 17th, 2007 09:30 AM

Oddly enough and possibly because of testing there are more trisotomy babies born to mom's under the age of 36. I am curious at 26 why you would have had a triple screen test?

You have to know in your heart that things will be ok some how. That will get you through this. Blaming yourself of past actions won't help.

I will pray for your family

further June 17th, 2007 07:42 PM

Quote:

Oddly enough and possibly because of testing there are more trisotomy babies born to mom's under the age of 36. I am curious at 26 why you would have had a triple screen test?

You have to know in your heart that things will be ok some how. That will get you through this. Blaming yourself of past actions won't help.

I will pray for your family[/b]

I'm 31 and had a trippe screen as well. My old doctor gave it to everyone. I actually didn't want to take it because of all the fase positives but he insisted that I take it. it came out negative but I know a lot of women who take it and it comes out positive when their babies are fine. some even falsely test positive for trisotomy.
'
Rachael,

Remember whatever happens, it's not your fault okay! It's totally not. Trisotomy doesn't occur because of anything you've done. I don't want to give you false hope but you don't know for sure yet right? I DO know that babies who go through placenta abrupto are also at risk for cysts on the brain. We have a few women in my sch group who are going through that as well and the outcome is normally good. Please keep us posted. You're in my thoughts.

Cindermella June 18th, 2007 12:25 PM

See here in Montreal (and this is possibly because medical is on the governments dollar) cvs and amnio are for 36 and older unless you are genetically predisposed to stuff.

MrsPoe June 20th, 2007 09:47 PM

Sending great big :dothug: ! If you need anyone to talk to I am here for you. I lost my daughter at 27 weeks and we had tried for her for nearly 5 years. I know the pain of wanting a healthy baby so badly. I hope that the tests will bring some good news for you and baby. You can't blame yourself, although I know you will. I am diabetic and I knew that this could happen to me, and I blamed myself for a long time, still do somewhat. You can't beat yourself up for the things you did not know!

capergirl2 June 21st, 2007 12:50 PM

Hi Rachel
I have just been through much of the same thing. I lost a baby at 26 weeks. they originally thought it was trisomy 18 but it turned out to be triploid syndrome. I went through the maternal serum test, came back +..I had the amino. Everything that you going through now. If there is anything I can do to help please please PM me or add me to msn, cheryl_charlene@hotmail.com...The only thing that ever helped me was other women that went through it. My babies father bailed on me, if it wasn't for my parents I don't know what I would have done. I had 3 days of labor. I am only 29 to. I know exactly how you feel hun. Its the most horrible feeling in the world. Its been 2 months for me now. My son is with me every moment of the day. I almost self distructed at first. I just wanted to die, but i am doing better now...
Take care and you are in my thoughts, my heart is broke for you.

savannahsmom June 26th, 2007 07:06 AM

oh I am so sorry that you are going through this. If there is anything that we can do, just let us know. You will be in my T&P.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright © 2003-2012 JustMommies.com, All Rights Reserved.