JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   So, I'm really opting for a home birth now (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/1033926-so-i-m-really-opting-for-home-birth-now.html)

ZoesMom April 23rd, 2008 03:38 AM

I swear doctors these days just want to do enough to get paid, not to help the patient. I loved my OB with my first pregnancy. She was amazing. She listened to every concern and problem without passing judgement and granted any request I had. Unfortunately, because I delivered on a weekend, she didn't deliver my daughter, but an OB who I later found out is being investigated for medical malpractice, delivered her. I found the hospital nurses very unsupportive after I had her. They told me when she was a day old that she was losing too much weight too quickly and that I wasn't producing enough milk for her. Naive me didn't know at the time that milk doesn't come in until the third day. We were released on the second day and my daughter had only lost 3oz. In the middle of the second night there, they took my daughter and against my wishes, gave her formula. She never returned to just breast milk.

With my second pregnancy, I went to emerge for severe pain in my side, which I later found out was a result of rapidly progressing endometriosis. The OB that I saw that day took over as my OB and has refused to let me switch back to my first OB, saying we're not allowed to just OB hop that way, and "besides, she's already a busy woman being the chief of obstetrics, so we don't want to bother her with a simple case".

I didn't mention this yesterday, but when I saw him on Monday night, he told me to expect to miscarry again because there's no chance there's a baby in there if I haven't seen one by 6 weeks. It took 20 minutes of begging for another ultrasound later in the week before he finally agreed to one. He said "Well, I don't see the point in it, but I guess it can't hurt. But come back at 10 weeks if you haven't passed the pregnancy yet and we'll do a D&C". I told him it wouldn't be necessary because there's at least one baby in there and he said "Well, I'm the doctor and cases like this never turn out nicely, but the earlier we do a D&C the early we can get on figuring out your problem".

Needless to say, I'll have my ultrasound on Friday, see him Friday night and call the local midwives. I'm opting for a home birth.

LaLa April 23rd, 2008 08:44 AM

OMG. REPORT THAT MAN!

Dont give him a dime - skip your appt to see him, schedule an appt with someone else. Theyll be glad to take your money.

Your MWs can also order an U/S. Why give him a dime of yours?!

Lala...

ZoesMom April 23rd, 2008 08:56 AM

I never do. I have free health care. But I called the midwife place and they put me in the December file for intakes. They haven't started on December yet but said they would by May 1st. I can't wait!!

*Vero* April 23rd, 2008 09:04 AM

Like Lala said, the midwives can order ultrasounds too. I've had 3 this pregnancy.

Also I'm all up for home births (heck I'm even doing one myself) but here in Ontario, if you have a midwife assisted hospital birth, it is very very very different then what you experienced with Zoe... so if for some reason or another your home birth doesn't work out (I really hope it does!!) I totally recommend sticking with your midwife anyways!!

You are going to love the experience of having a midwife sooo much!!!

ZoesMom April 23rd, 2008 09:33 AM

The lady I spoke to said I would definitely be getting a call back because when they get phone calls from women who are interested in a home birth, they really support that and encourage it, and what better way to encourage it than to call back and take em on, right?

I'm so excited!! I'm totally getting rid of my OB. I do not like him at all.

*Vero* April 23rd, 2008 09:57 AM

hehe yeah, I just read recently that in order to remain registered as midwives, the midwives have to attend a certain amount of hospital AND home births every year... And I'm sure there is a lot fewer women chosing a home birth...

Both midwives I've had also mentioned that they prefer the home birth.. it is much more relaxed and it feels more personal... I feel like I have gotten so much closer with my midwife since we decided to go the home birth route...

I'm so excited to hear that you will be going that route!! :)

ZoesMom April 23rd, 2008 10:35 AM

Just wait til I tell DH. He's not going to be very happy. I'll try and make a compromise with him, since his only concern is the amniotic fluid smell. I'll tell him that I'll do a water birth, that way when my water breaks assuming in the pool), it won't smell. I hope he'll agree to that.

^RaineDrop^ April 25th, 2008 04:06 PM

I think your husband should be more than willing to stand some amniotic fluid versus dealing with prickholes like THAT! Woah! Like Vero said, you are going to LOVE your midwife and home birth. It's such an exceptional experience compared to hospitals and OBs, and I haven't even gotten to do it yet!! :lol:

_Brandy_ April 27th, 2008 03:55 PM

Quote:

hehe yeah, I just read recently that in order to remain registered as midwives, the midwives have to attend a certain amount of hospital AND home births every year... And I'm sure there is a lot fewer women chosing a home birth...[/b]
I believe it is the same across Canada, which is 60 births in 5 years, of which 10 are to be in hospital.

I would disgree, I think a lot more women are choosing homebirth vs hospital births. The statistics show a rise in the amount of homebirths in Canada.

ragmama April 27th, 2008 08:55 PM

WOW, talk about motivation for a home birth! I'm sorry you've had such rotten OB/hospital experiences...but yay for the decision to birth at home! :D