JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   Waterbirth question (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/1043288-waterbirth-question.html)

Moraine April 29th, 2008 01:22 PM

I'm just wondering, say you're in the tub for hours, won't the water get cold? Do you just refill it? How do you empty it? Do you hook it up to a hose? I'm hoping for a home water birth, and I was just curious about how it works.

LaLa April 29th, 2008 02:55 PM

Great question!

I had a waterbirht so I'll share what I know & my experience.

IDeally, you wont be in the tub for hours. But of course, it does happen! Getting in too soon can stall labor, so its best to wait until active labor or transition to get in, when it will help speed things up :) Of course, some moms who are having a tough early labor, want to slow things down for a break, so its not necessarily a bad thing.

Now, you can get warmers for tubs. Personally, I didnt. I used the La Bassine, which is insulated pretty decent. We filled it slightly warmer than I would have wanted. Then, on top of that, most pg women are hot anyways, and even more so in labor. So cooler water isnt so bad. But you do want to make sure its not COLD, b/c baby will need to be warm :) Its hard to get it too cool though. I could imagine a winter birth in a drafty house might be a problem though.

With that said.... we didnt use a warmer. My DH filled up a little warmer to begin with, then as it cooled off over 2 hours, hed add a little more water. He didnt fill it up too much, so he was able to add to it without it spillign over :) If wed have gotten too close to being "full" - he simply could have taken a bit out, then put a little in. (We used a bucket to remove water, and a hose hooked up to he nearest sink to put water in).

Lala...

Moraine April 29th, 2008 03:28 PM

Wow thank you for the great reply! You've answered all my questions!:)

Butter April 29th, 2008 03:38 PM

The tub I'm renting from my MW has a heater.

Motherbird April 29th, 2008 04:49 PM

It does have to be a certain temp for baby to be safely born into. 98 degrees maybe? I can't remember. Whenever it got too cold, my hubby would heat some water and pour it in. It felt best when he'd pour it right on my back (I was having back labor.)

Oh, and both of my tubs had heaters but neither one worked very well at all.

Twinkle April 30th, 2008 07:46 AM

The tub we had didn't have a heater, DH started filling it with hot water from a hose (from the hot water spicket in our basement), until the hot water heater ran out... then he boiled water on the stove. At two points during my time in the tub he put more water in the tub.

ragmama May 4th, 2008 10:57 PM

Ditto Twinkle 100%. The hot water heater got most of the job done, then it was pots of water boiling on the stove. I'm not sure if they added any after I was in the pool or not - everything happened so quickly...

Britt May 16th, 2008 09:32 PM

After it's all said and done, how do you get all the water out? I hope I dont sound stupid... lol.

^RaineDrop^ May 17th, 2008 04:31 AM

Of course you don't sound stupid! :)

I *think* most of the water-birth tubs have an opening at the bottom somewhere so that you can just drain everything out. A lot of people have their partners just take the tub outside and dump it out :lol:

Mommy2Amara&Kayori May 17th, 2008 07:14 PM

Quote:

After it's all said and done, how do you get all the water out? I hope I dont sound stupid... lol.[/b]

you don't sound stupid, I remember asking all these questions

I was not in my tub for very long at all. We filled the tub with buckets, because my midwife had the hose and she was late to the birth (a nurse did attend and deliver the baby though). My tub was only 1' deep and I was already a 10 so I got in at that time. I did not have to worry about keeping the water warm as I was only in the tub for 15-20 minutes. My midwife had a pump that we hooked our garden hose too and we emptied it out our window.

Kelllilee May 17th, 2008 10:11 PM

Good question... and good answers too. I'm hoping for a home WB next time around, but I'm also hoping that by then we'll be in a new house with a big ole garden/jacuzzi tub so that won't be an issue...

Twinkle May 18th, 2008 10:49 AM

as far as removal of the water, your dh or midwife can just siphon it out, or you can purchase something like this that attaches to your faucet, and can drain your pool http://www.petsolutions.com/default.aspx?I...2&SID=SHZIL